N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Powell: 'U.S. Is Not Doing Bad at All'
Oct 20 12:53 AM US/Eastern
CAROLYN THOMPSON
Associated Press Writer

AMHERST, N.Y. - Former Secretary of State Colin Powell said Wednesday the United States is "not doing bad at all" diplomatically, despite anti-American sentiment over the war in Iraq.

"If you stand back a bit," Powell told an audience at the University at Buffalo, "you might see we have done very well in most parts of the world."

Powell, a guest in the university's Distinguished Speakers Series, outlined strides made in Europe, China and Asia, and predicted nuclear disputes with North Korea and Iran would be solved diplomatically.

Although Powell last month called his prewar speech to the United Nations accusing Iraq of harboring weapons of mass destruction a blot on his record, he said Wednesday the United States could not walk away from the current fight until Iraq is stronger.

"We are where we are," he said.

"We have to stay the course," he said to applause.

Powell did not refer to the February 2003 speech _ which lent credibility to President Bush's case for going to war _ during his hourlong address.

It was a primary topic, however, among the roughly 50 protesters who gathered outside to denounce Powell, Bush and the war.

"We're sorry so many people think he's a celebrity. We think he's a war criminal," said James Ulrich, a university photographer who held a sign: "Colin Powell, Have you no shame?"

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
N8 said:
Powell, a guest in the university's Distinguished Speakers Series, outlined strides made in Europe, China and Asia, and predicted nuclear disputes with North Korea and Iran would be solved diplomatically.
Hmmm... there's one country conspicuously missing from that list. One country that may or may not be about 90% of our current foreign policy.

"Sure my house is on fire, but check out my shiny new shoes, bike, and car!"

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I was wondering what the strides made in Europe were.

Unless of course he is talking about making up to European countries after pissing them off over Iraq.

Still I guess anyone can look better if they give themselves a real low as a starting point.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
fluff said:
I was wondering what the strides made in Europe were.

Unless of course he is talking about making up to European countries after pissing them off over Iraq.
Yeah, Cos everyone in Europe loves GW now...