Quantcast

U.S. Open of Mountain Biking Update

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey

Greetings racers! In a continuing effort to provide racers with vital event information, we will be sending periodic updates to keep you informed and to make your stay at the U.S. Open most enjoyable.

Registration Update:
The U.S. Open pre-registration process is now in week 5 and is on a record pace. The event is at approximately 65% pre-registered and if any friends or teammates have yet to register we highly recommend registering online in the very near future.

Lodging Update:
Don't forget that U.S. Open competitors receive a 20% discount at all Mountain Creek Resort lodging properties. Experience the new Appalachian Hotel which is located 50 yards from the finish line and offers the ultimate race weekend accomodations! U.S. Open lodging packages are now available starting at only $135 per person!

Tech Support / Vendor Space Update:
Tech/Pit space is still available in limited quantities. Please be advised that the early registration deadline is Friday, April 18th.

UPDATE: The upper parking lots at Mountain Creek Resort will be designated as automobile only areas. Non-registered privateer pits are still permitted to setup pop-up tents and/or box trailer pit areas, however, these "privateer" pits will be located in the lower parking lots only.

Racers interested in setting up official pit areas in closer proximity to the event venue are encouraged to register in advance as parking lot designations will be strongly enforced.

Diablo Domination Series #1 - May 18:
The 2008 Diablo Domination Series kicks-off one week prior to the U.S. Open. This highly attended event is a pre-U.S. Open warm-up and is ideal for racers looking to become better acquianted with the technical terrain located at Diablo

Diablo Freeride Park Update:
Don't miss Diablo WIDE OPEN! The official kick-off and celebration of the 2008 riding season at Diablo! Sample the latest Diablo trail creations, demo the new Freelap timing system and mingle with riding buddies at the after party! Join us on May 3rd at Diablo! Music, movie premiers, food, beer and great riding! ONLY at Diablo!

For more information, please feel free to contact the Event Operations Team at info@diablofreeridepark.com

www.RIDEDIABLO.com

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
UPDATE: The upper parking lots at Mountain Creek Resort will be designated as automobile only areas. Non-registered privateer pits are still permitted to setup pop-up tents and/or box trailer pit areas, however, these "privateer" pits will be located in the lower parking lots only.

Racers interested in setting up official pit areas in closer proximity to the event venue are encouraged to register in advance as parking lot designations will be strongly enforced.
Can't say I like that much.

This just in: Bathroom use $2.00, Cross foot bridge $4.50, Feel like hiking to the berm section $3.75, Bike wash $8.00

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
if the us open involed some sort of 4x race down dominion it would way surpass the sea otter event, it might even be considered a world cup.

Polish Rambo

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
parking (unlike Mt. Snow), bathroom use, and walking across the foot bridge are all still free. moving privateer pit space to the lower lots helps reduce unnecessary congestion in the upper lot. The layout is also better suited down in the lower lot for pop-up tents and trailers. more room, just a little farther away, but still directly across the street

isabbisr

Monkey
Aug 9, 2002
NJ
Can't say I like that much.

This just in: Bathroom use $2.00, Cross foot bridge $4.50, Feel like hiking to the berm section $3.75, Bike wash $8.00
I don't see restricting the placement of mini pit areas having any relation to charging for those things, taking up multiple spots is rude to others. Other people shouldn't have to walk farther because you set up a little shanty town.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
with me not being able to park in the upper next to diablo lot i think i will be too tired to race, ill only beat bryn by 30 seconds.

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
parking (unlike Mt. Snow), bathroom use, and walking across the foot bridge are all still free. moving privateer pit space to the lower lots helps reduce unnecessary congestion in the upper lot. The layout is also better suited down in the lower lot for pop-up tents and trailers. more room, just a little farther away, but still directly across the street
I guess I can accept that. It was just fun getting to the lot early early and setting up a front row pit area. From the lot just accross the street, you can still sorta hear what's going on and you were in the middle of all the action. The lower lot's are a few more pedal strokes away, are dirt and are even further away from the pooper.

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
I don't see restricting the placement of mini pit areas having any relation to charging for those things, taking up multiple spots is rude to others. Other people shouldn't have to walk farther because you set up a little shanty town.

Did ya miss that.... And I'd rather see the spectators walk from the lower lot. I think the average rider is back and forth all day, for three days.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
so if i would like to park in the upper lot across the street from the mountain i have to pay or regester or both or i cant if i even want to?

FYI i have a small tent

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
This happened to us at a Domination race a couple of years ago. They forced us down to the lower lots. I think someone is loosing sight of who the races are for. I think having the upper lot for privateer pits is what should be. Make the spectators park in the lower lot. We pay a lot of money to race, it should be fair to allow privateer pits in the upper lot.

Bad decision.

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
Since we are speaking about 'fairness', please keep in mind that the only reason we have tweaked our policy is because riders and racers were abusing the policy.

Last year, many riders were pushing the limits of 'fairness' and claiming 4-5 parking spots in the upper lots for the entire weekend when they only have 1 10x10 tent, ignoring security guard requests to be more space conscious and overall a total disregard for what is 'fair'.

Since this event attracts nearly 500 racers on top of a few thousand spectators and freeriders, we have been asked to get a better handle on the parking situation to provided a 'fair' parking situation for ALL riders at the resort, not just racers. Like other prominent events we have a designated 'pit area' and we offer the opportunity for privateers to pit without paying for pit fees.

Polish Rambo

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
just to clarify a few things....

-there is no charge to park in any lot across rte. 94 (opposite side of the Diablo Office and The Appalachian.)

-there is no charge to use the bike wash

-the upper lot is not a "spectators only" lot. Racers, freeriders, spectators, anyone... can park in the upper lot. Just no tents, trailers, etc. The upper lot is the only lot with marked spaces and handicap parking. this lot is not maximized when people take up 2, 3 and 4 spots with tents and trailers. This is not a move to alienate people, it's to make parking more orderly.

As an event like the U.S. Open grows, so does the level of organization needed to keep the event running smoothly.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Can't argue with abuse being a problem. Maybe you should just scoop up there stuff and charge them to get it back?
Doug - if you tried that with Jersey locals, the parking lots would look like "Mad Max: Road Warrior"... you know - the second one with the guy in the ass-less chaps and the mohawk.

So basically what I'm saying is that there would be bloodshed, gnashing of teeth, and people getting run over, followed by a mixer at a leather bar.

...wait... that can't be right.

:think:

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
Doug - if you tried that with Jersey locals, the parking lots would look like "Mad Max: Road Warrior"... you know - the second one with the guy in the ass-less chaps and the mohawk.

So basically what I'm saying is that there would be bloodshed, gnashing of teeth, and people getting run over, followed by a mixer at a leather bar.

...wait... that can't be right.

Gnashing of teeth?

You must have gone to catholic school, lol

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey

...I'm not sure how one would use the phrase "gnashing of teeth" as a means to determine if one went to Catholic School, but THAT is a big negative.

Public School all the way... I'm pretty sure I got that phrase from Faulkner's "The Sound and The Fury" during my junior year English class, but I could be wrong... that book was a long time ago for me.

One time, I walked around the halls of a Catholic School looking for a friend who went there... so actually, yeah - that's probably where I got it from.

:biggrin:

EDIT: I just googled "Gnashing of Teeth", and now I see your point - I had no idea that was from the Bible.

I'm so going to hell for this.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ

...I'm not sure how one would use the phrase "gnashing of teeth" as a means to determine if one went to Catholic School, but THAT is a big negative.

Public School all the way... I'm pretty sure I got that phrase from Faulkner's "The Sound and The Fury" during my junior year English class, but I could be wrong... that book was a long time ago for me.

One time, I walked around the halls of a Catholic School looking for a friend who went there... so actually, yeah - that's probably where I got it from.

:biggrin:
I did a ten year stretch in christian school, seems as though gnashing of teeth is a favorite phrase in the bible.

http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/doctrine/hodgesgn.htm

Luckily, it was a protestant school, not catholic, so I didn't get diddled.