Quantcast

U.S. to outlaw incandescent lightbulbs in 2012

rogue22

Chimp
Dec 2, 2007
I haven't bought incandescent bulbs in probably 5 years, but good to see some progress for the rest of the US.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I hate florescent lights too. I guess filters could be made to go around them so they look incandescent...but that would make it less bright.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
I'm almost certain that not All incandescent bulbs are being outlawed, just certain very inefficient ones, similar to the 150W PAR reflector incandescent (as well as other light sources) that were eliminated in the Energy Policy Act of 1992...besides, there are supposed to be some incandescent bulbs due to be released before 2010 that will be 5 to 10% more efficient then current designs...still terrible energy hogs (really just heaters) but could likely make it to market.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
...time to stock up I guess.

x5......

until they come up with a way of making them instantly turn on... and not take time to warm up... and until they don't make everything GREENISH... FVCK THEM!
and as was stated aren't they mercury vapor lights? That sucks!
I have some of the floro lights, but don't like them much.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
x5......

until they come up with a way of making them instantly turn on... and not take time to warm up... and until they don't make everything GREENISH... FVCK THEM!
I buy full spectrum CF lights. Looks like daylight, instead of the pale yellowish light coming from most incandescents. Changing to CF lights, and replacing my 20yo AC cut my energy bill by almost 30%.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The only old school bulbs we have are the ones that are too small for the newer bulbs. I like natural light best, but in Oregon that is only about 3 months out of the year.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I buy full spectrum CF lights. Looks like daylight, instead of the pale yellowish light coming from most incandescents. Changing to CF lights, and replacing my 20yo AC cut my energy bill by almost 30%.
97% of your 30% was your AC upgrade more than likey

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
until they come up with a way of making them instantly turn on... and not take time to warm up...
They do have some that turn on instantly. The light in my room is a 19" round flourescent light. Most people would have no idea that it was a flourescent light either.

I second the thought of the full spectrum light bulb. My turtles tank used to have 4 4' full spectrum bulbs. The light that came from there was much nicer than any other light bulb I have seen. Almost did not seem like I had a light on.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
x5......

I can't tell the difference in color or warm up time between the latest CF and incadescents. Since we get the majority of our electricity from coal you have to consider that over the lifetime of a CF bulb almost twice as much mercury is released into the atmosphere with the additional coal burnt as is already in the CF bulb, about 5milligrams.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I can't tell the difference in color or warm up time between the latest CF and incadescents. Since we get the majority of our electricity from coal you have to consider that over the lifetime of a CF bulb almost twice as much mercury is released into the atmosphere with the additional coal burnt as is already in the CF bulb, about 5milligrams.
Also there are various qualities of bulbs - LED, CF, incandescent, or otherwise. A lot of people who don't like them probably went into home depot/lowes and bought a box of bargain CF with crappy electronics and poor color spectrum.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
hey, suppose you were going to live in a house for 20+years...

what bulb is the "best", most cost-effective, environmentally friendly one on the market?

initial cost, eg. $35/bulb, isn't a factor if it's the "best".

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
How many Americans does it take to change a light bulb?

Five years with at least 50% of the legislative branch 66% if the president vetoes.

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
Why all the talk about light bulbs?
What is the total energy consumption of a light bulb when compared to cars, trucks, industry, etc. who cares about a stupid light bulb.
I haven't bought incandescent bulbs in 2 years and I'm trying to use re-chargeable batteries for everything.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Why all the talk about light bulbs?
What is the total energy consumption of a light bulb when compared to cars, trucks, industry, etc. who cares about a stupid light bulb.
I haven't bought incandescent bulbs in 2 years and I'm trying to use re-chargeable batteries for everything.
CF bulbs only use 20-25% the energy of a similar incad. and can last up to 10 times longer. If you replaced all the bulbs in your home it would be like removing/not using 75% of the lights in you home. The energy savings is there.

Energystar said:
If every American home replaced just one light bulb with an ENERGY STAR qualified bulb, we would save enough energy to light more than 3 million homes for a year, more than $600 million in annual energy costs, and prevent greenhouse gases equivalent to the emissions of more than 800,000 cars.

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
It's an easy way to do the right thing.
I agree its an easy way to do the right thing but it amounts to a spec of sand compared to the real problem. How about passing useful legislation. Make fridges, Ac units, Heaters, Boilers, etc more efficient. They use more energy then light bulbs:lighten:. This amounts to nothing more the grand standing by a government that can't accomplish anything worthwhile. my $0.02