Quantcast

Ubuntu for a n00b

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
So I have VM Ubuntu on my Vista 64 bit home notebook, and my XP Pro work notebook.

Now what? LOL!!! What I mean is, where can I find online an "Ubuntu for Fvcking Idiots like SK6" tutorial. Just a little something to help me get a lay of the land or a bit of a map. Because we all know the biggest issue with anything new is finding stuff.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
well, other than the books you get at the library aptly titled *ubuntu*......

ubuntuforums is okay, but it's getting filled with junk lately.
best thing is to just run around the system and see what different things do, try going through some standard linux tutorials on common commands. especially learn the command line interface....you'll find it's waaaaay easier and faster than clicking on stuff.

and of course you could always post the questions you have here or ubuntuforums....they are usually pretty quick at responses

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
What do you want to do?

Biggest friend in Ubuntu:

Applications > Add / Remove

Type in a search and it will go through all the descriptions till you find what app you want. Then install. Easy.

Apps are even user rated (1-5 stars I think)

Ubuntu apps I use all the time:

GIMP for pic editing
Inkscape for drawing
Thunderbird for email
UFRaw for raw camera files
Gnucash for personal finance
Kompozer for web editing
Amarok (or Banshee) for mp3's
Ardour for multi-track recording

etc, etc, etc...

Usually there are many different kick ass programs for a given task. Install them all then try em. Then uninstall what you don't like.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
actually compiz was included in the gutsy release, but it was dodgy at best. in fact, most of gutsy was just improvments on the backend, with compiz included.

personally, i think it's just a load of crap. the only decent thing that came out of that whole package was the window switcher ala mac style.

but yeah, there are literally hundreds of programs for any task you want to accomplish. the app manager is good for standard stuff, but don't discount synaptic!

but, it's great that there is another linux user out there. maybe some day software will finally be free to use and modify like it should be.

and possibly a better question....if you want to use windows, why not install a linux server with xen and simply emulate windows and a linux desktop.......

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
actually compiz was included in the gutsy release, but it was dodgy at best. in fact, most of gutsy was just improvments on the backend, with compiz included.
Yeah I installed the full version, the effects were just too cool not to have. I can't help it, I am a whore for eye candy.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
but don't discount synaptic!
Synaptic is great, (SK6 - it's the more advanced and complete Add/Remove) - but it can be a little cryptic for a n00b.

But hell, even my kid (16) and my wife (technophobe) like Ubuntu just fine. It's easier tan any flavor of Windows I've ever used.

(going back to Win 3.11...)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I also use Wine Doors and love it for adding/removing windows crap. I have IE for testing and seems to work as well as expected.

I too am a whore for the eye candy :D