Quantcast

UCI bans skinsuits?

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by epic, Sep 15, 2008.

1. epic

epic Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 21
    For real? I think I heard this mentioned on Freecaster during the Schladming race. If true, it is so dumb that I had to register on RideMonkey and find out for sure. Personally, I think some of the skinsuits are cool (particularly those OF3 ones from the late '90's) and if it were me being paid to win races I'd damn sure be wearing one. When races are decided by tenths of a second it could make the difference between first place and first loser.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jonKranked

jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep/Likes:
    375 / 3,583
    The UCI will never ban the skinsuit. The UCI loves the skinsuit.

3. General Lee

General Lee Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Not if Royal, 661, Troy Lee, Nema, Fox, Thor, etc. were footing part of the bill you wouldn't.

As far as the skin suit ban, word of it started circling at the Bromont world cup and I was under the impression it was a done deal. from what i understand it doesn't ban skinsuits outright but rather limits how 'tight' a jersey can be; something about being able to pinch a few cm of material at the forearm. by default this would eliminate skinsuits. And as usual the only people who seemed to care were the people not actually making a living from racing their bikes. :blah:

#3 -   Sep 15, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  4. epic

epic Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 21
    I noticed in the video from Canberra that Tracey Mosley's suit was flapping in the wind, so obviously not that tight, and still enough to get Rach upset. One more reason for Mosley to wear one. :cheers:

5. lachy_mtb

lachy_mtb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    im not exactly the biggest fan of the skinsuits, but i think that that it is stupid to ban them! its an advantage that anyone can use within the sport, if you dont want to use it on the world stage then dont, but banning something that is equally open to every individual within the sport is dumb.

6. gemini2k

gemini2k Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 101
    That's EXACTLY why things get banned in racing numbnuts. It gives and advantage to someone and has nothing to do with skill, but simply makes the racing more expensive, just like an arms race......See Formula 1 and how they adjust rules all the time to reduce the cost of the sport but maintain (near) identical competitiveness. Skinsuits are retarded. No one wants to wear them, but feel obligated because if they don't and their competitor does then they are at a disadvantage.

7. DRB

DRB unemployed bum

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Yeah the skinsuit is so expensive when compared to the, what $100-$150, dh bikes.

8. Beast

Beast Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    This needs to be applied to the 20" crowd and their sweet pants.

9. Jettj45

Jettj45 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 3
    Were they not Banned in previous years and then brought back. I am pretty sure I heard this...IMO they should be Banned either everyone should wear em or no one(preferably the ladder).

10. mccdh

mccdh Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    on a course like canberra i can see why someone may have thought a skinsuit, or tighter fitting gear would help with the wide open track and big gusts of wind. but its an option, in the end each rider has a choice to make, unfortunately it doesnt help the sponsors of these riders.

11. dh415

dh415 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    ban them

12. gemini2k

gemini2k Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 101
    Well, genius, I'm pretty sure frames last a LITTLE bit longer than a skinsuit. (having no knowledge or experience with them) I'd imagine they don't survive one crash. Also, why the FVCK would you wanna have to spend another 150 bucks? That's maybe 3 lift tickets? 3 entrance fees? A few sets of tires? Not all of us love pissing away money

13. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    375 / 3,583
    Hey guys, you're all forgetting that seran wrap is mad cheap!! Just don't forget yer tighty whities!!! :rofl:

14. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    58 / 695
    Jesus, so much tension. Who gives a rats ass if someone is wearing a skinsuit. before we know everyone is going to be calling each other fags, and queers again. Seriously UCI needs to back off a bit on all the damn regulations on racing. For gods sake soon were going to be told virtual pivots are an unfair advantage because one person can afford them and another cannot.

So if your for banning anything or regulating anything with racing, Shut the F*ck up and ride. If your really worried about someone with a skinsuit being faster than you..... Get your own. keep quite until you have used them and had any experience with them, sometimes it is a nice safety factor.

Check this out, Fun to watch it is what loose clothes and hi winds causes, it was an interesting race to be in

15. freeridefool

freeridefool Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I was planning on wearing my streetbike helmet at races next season. The visor has less wind resistance than my dh helmet with goggles on.

16. iRider

iRider Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    22 / 223
    Skinsuits survive a crash as good or bad as a normal jersey. Sam didn't rip his skinsuit into pieces at worlds, or did he? :busted:
    Before banning skinsuits I would rather see UCI make wearing full protective gear mandatory. Too many injuries lately. :disgust1:

17. DRB

DRB unemployed bum

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    :nopity:

18. jonKranked

Rep/Likes:
    375 / 3,583
    Shut up fag :busted:

19. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    58 / 695

Damnit, I was planning on riding half helmet, spandex shorts, and an XC Jersey so I can be faster with An unfair advantage.

20. ire

ire Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    I think its stupid to ban them, if you don't want to wear one then don't (or if your contract doesn't allow it). I hope the UCI doesn't start sticking their nose into other areas in DH, like tire size and suspension travel.

21. Broken_Spoke

Broken_Spoke Mr. Big Hot Pastrami

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Tires no wider than 2.35 and no more than 185mm travel on both ends. I just heard I know the head of the UCI.

22. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    58 / 695

Yup before you know it, nine and ten In rotors will also be banned. thats yet another un fair advantage right!!!! I mean thats what they say in Cross racing.

23. elRey

elRey Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    loose clothing didn't cause those people to crash.

24. Transcend

Transcend My Nuts Are Flat

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    There is currently a motion at the UCI to ban lycra from gravity events. The strange part is the wording, which will be shot so full of loopholes the rule will become pointless. Having a time trial based speed sport where rider don;t care about aerodynamics is ridiculous.

25. Damo

Damo Short One Marshmallow

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 20
    And if you are really worried about the price of skinsuits, you aren't even in the same league as the riders who need/use them.

26. S.K.C.

S.K.C. Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 10
    You all knew this was coming, so don't fight it:

27. funkendrenchman

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    LOL'ed on that one.

28. rancho_race1

rancho_race1 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    if UCI wants to ban the skin suit then what will be next? regulating loose jersey sizing? shorts have to be so long past the knees? i think this could snowball into so many more dumb regs

29. black noise

black noise Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    What defines a skinsuit though? Are UCI officials going to be pinching every athlete's jersey and shorts (which have been tailored to be extra tight anyway)?

What a stupid movement this is. Every other sport involving racing the clock is done with skin-tight clothing, it's not gay, and if you're not racing world cups it won't affect you so get over it.

30. pelo

pelo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    True. They were all rotating counter-clockwise. No need for slim jerseys there. Maybe a training camp with Greg Minaar would do the trick?

31. pelo

pelo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    The sport is about skills, not everybody wearing spandex.

I´m trying to understand the reason for being pro spandex.
    I think a lot of oldtimers and Americans like it because it was part of the succesful days. What do you think?

(Wait, just getting my body armour on... ;))

32. Whoops

Whoops Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Word, and word.

33. P.T.W

P.T.W Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Isnt this sport really about getting from the top of the hill to the bottom in the shortest time possable:crazy:
    An i dont think its about being "pro spandex" its about having the choice :cheers:

#33 -   Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  34. toodles

toodles Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 607
    Visors are still on though right?

35. pelo

pelo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    First, I´m discussing spandex on the world-cup. That means, everybody (you too) is free to where thongs, or whatever feels most comfort and is within the restrictions, on their local race. I respect that.

Second, if the majority of the riders don´t feel comfort in riding lycra, that is the way it should be. It´s not more complicated than that...
    At that level, lycra is sometimes an unfair advantage. You have sponsors etc putting in a lot of money in the sport we like, making things rolling you know? And if some races are won because of some cheese-head wearing lycra, it´s not part of the game. Everybody have to wear it to keep it fair, but the mojority don´t wan´t to ride in it. You see?

It´s very easy.

36. P.T.W

P.T.W Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I can see your point but,how many of those racers who you say dont wanna wear a skinsuit feal like that because of all the insecure homophobes giving them ****????

37. pelo

pelo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Don´t know. Start a new thread on that topic. ;)

38. DRB

DRB unemployed bum

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Maybe this is just an opportunity for the UCI officials to cop a feel on their favorite athletes...

39. Udi

Udi RM Chief Ornithologist: “I Brake for Birds”

Rep/Likes:
    93 / 781
    Like someone else suggested, it doesn't sound like you're at a level where this concerns you anyway. Chill out and build a bridge. :)

40. CrabJoe StretchPants

CrabJoe StretchPants Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick

Rep/Likes:
    89 / 420
    HAHAHAHAHAHA.......you're in the wrong sport, champ.:banana: