Quantcast

UCI bans skinsuits?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
For real? I think I heard this mentioned on Freecaster during the Schladming race. If true, it is so dumb that I had to register on RideMonkey and find out for sure. Personally, I think some of the skinsuits are cool (particularly those OF3 ones from the late '90's) and if it were me being paid to win races I'd damn sure be wearing one. When races are decided by tenths of a second it could make the difference between first place and first loser.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
For real? I think I heard this mentioned on Freecaster during the Schladming race. If true, it is so dumb that I had to register on RideMonkey and find out for sure. Personally, I think some of the skinsuits are cool (particularly those OF3 ones from the late '90's) and if it were me being paid to win races I'd damn sure be wearing one. When races are decided by tenths of a second it could make the difference between first place and first loser.
Not if Royal, 661, Troy Lee, Nema, Fox, Thor, etc. were footing part of the bill you wouldn't.

As far as the skin suit ban, word of it started circling at the Bromont world cup and I was under the impression it was a done deal. from what i understand it doesn't ban skinsuits outright but rather limits how 'tight' a jersey can be; something about being able to pinch a few cm of material at the forearm. by default this would eliminate skinsuits. And as usual the only people who seemed to care were the people not actually making a living from racing their bikes. :blah:

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
from what i understand it doesn't ban skinsuits outright but rather limits how 'tight' a jersey can be; something about being able to pinch a few cm of material at the forearm. by default this would eliminate skinsuits.
I noticed in the video from Canberra that Tracey Mosley's suit was flapping in the wind, so obviously not that tight, and still enough to get Rach upset. One more reason for Mosley to wear one. :cheers:

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
im not exactly the biggest fan of the skinsuits, but i think that that it is stupid to ban them! its an advantage that anyone can use within the sport, if you dont want to use it on the world stage then dont, but banning something that is equally open to every individual within the sport is dumb.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
im not exactly the biggest fan of the skinsuits, but i think that that it is stupid to ban them! its an advantage that anyone can use within the sport, if you dont want to use it on the world stage then dont, but banning something that is equally open to every individual within the sport is dumb.
That's EXACTLY why things get banned in racing numbnuts. It gives and advantage to someone and has nothing to do with skill, but simply makes the racing more expensive, just like an arms race......See Formula 1 and how they adjust rules all the time to reduce the cost of the sport but maintain (near) identical competitiveness. Skinsuits are retarded. No one wants to wear them, but feel obligated because if they don't and their competitor does then they are at a disadvantage.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
That's EXACTLY why things get banned in racing numbnuts. It gives and advantage to someone and has nothing to do with skill, but simply makes the racing more expensive, just like an arms race......See Formula 1 and how they adjust rules all the time to reduce the cost of the sport but maintain (near) identical competitiveness. Skinsuits are retarded. No one wants to wear them, but feel obligated because if they don't and their competitor does then they are at a disadvantage.
Yeah the skinsuit is so expensive when compared to the, what $100-$150, dh bikes.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Were they not Banned in previous years and then brought back. I am pretty sure I heard this...IMO they should be Banned either everyone should wear em or no one(preferably the ladder).

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
on a course like canberra i can see why someone may have thought a skinsuit, or tighter fitting gear would help with the wide open track and big gusts of wind. but its an option, in the end each rider has a choice to make, unfortunately it doesnt help the sponsors of these riders.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Yeah the skinsuit is so expensive when compared to the, what $100-$150, dh bikes.
Well, genius, I'm pretty sure frames last a LITTLE bit longer than a skinsuit. (having no knowledge or experience with them) I'd imagine they don't survive one crash. Also, why the FVCK would you wanna have to spend another 150 bucks? That's maybe 3 lift tickets? 3 entrance fees? A few sets of tires? Not all of us love pissing away money

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Jesus, so much tension. Who gives a rats ass if someone is wearing a skinsuit. before we know everyone is going to be calling each other fags, and queers again. Seriously UCI needs to back off a bit on all the damn regulations on racing. For gods sake soon were going to be told virtual pivots are an unfair advantage because one person can afford them and another cannot.

So if your for banning anything or regulating anything with racing, Shut the F*ck up and ride. If your really worried about someone with a skinsuit being faster than you..... Get your own. keep quite until you have used them and had any experience with them, sometimes it is a nice safety factor.

Check this out, Fun to watch it is what loose clothes and hi winds causes, it was an interesting race to be in

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Well, genius, I'm pretty sure frames last a LITTLE bit longer than a skinsuit. (having no knowledge or experience with them) I'd imagine they don't survive one crash. Also, why the FVCK would you wanna have to spend another 150 bucks? That's maybe 3 lift tickets? 3 entrance fees? A few sets of tires? Not all of us love pissing away money
Skinsuits survive a crash as good or bad as a normal jersey. Sam didn't rip his skinsuit into pieces at worlds, or did he? :busted:
Before banning skinsuits I would rather see UCI make wearing full protective gear mandatory. Too many injuries lately. :disgust1:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
:nopity:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Jesus, so much tension. Who gives a rats ass if someone is wearing a skinsuit. before we know everyone is going to be calling each other fags, and queers again. Seriously UCI needs to back off a bit on all the damn regulations on racing. For gods sake soon were going to be told virtual pivots are an unfair advantage because one person can afford them and another cannot.

So if your for banning anything or regulating anything with racing, Shut the F*ck up and ride. If your really worried about someone with a skinsuit being faster than you..... Get your own. keep quite until you have used them and had any experience with them, sometimes it is a nice safety factor.

Check this out, Fun to watch it is what loose clothes and hi winds causes, it was an interesting race to be in
Shut up fag :busted:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Skinsuits survive a crash as good or bad as a normal jersey. Sam didn't rip his skinsuit into pieces at worlds, or did he? :busted:
Before banning skinsuits I would rather see UCI make wearing full protective gear mandatory. Too many injuries lately. :disgust1:

Damnit, I was planning on riding half helmet, spandex shorts, and an XC Jersey so I can be faster with An unfair advantage.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I think its stupid to ban them, if you don't want to wear one then don't (or if your contract doesn't allow it). I hope the UCI doesn't start sticking their nose into other areas in DH, like tire size and suspension travel.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
I think its stupid to ban them, if you don't want to wear one then don't (or if your contract doesn't allow it). I hope the UCI doesn't start sticking their nose into other areas in DH, like tire size and suspension travel.
Tires no wider than 2.35 and no more than 185mm travel on both ends. I just heard I know the head of the UCI.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Tires no wider than 2.35 and no more than 185mm travel on both ends. I just heard I know the head of the UCI.

Yup before you know it, nine and ten In rotors will also be banned. thats yet another un fair advantage right!!!! I mean thats what they say in Cross racing.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
There is currently a motion at the UCI to ban lycra from gravity events. The strange part is the wording, which will be shot so full of loopholes the rule will become pointless. Having a time trial based speed sport where rider don;t care about aerodynamics is ridiculous.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
And if you are really worried about the price of skinsuits, you aren't even in the same league as the riders who need/use them.

rancho_race1

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
if UCI wants to ban the skin suit then what will be next? regulating loose jersey sizing? shorts have to be so long past the knees? i think this could snowball into so many more dumb regs

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
What defines a skinsuit though? Are UCI officials going to be pinching every athlete's jersey and shorts (which have been tailored to be extra tight anyway)?

What a stupid movement this is. Every other sport involving racing the clock is done with skin-tight clothing, it's not gay, and if you're not racing world cups it won't affect you so get over it.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
loose clothing didn't cause those people to crash.
True. They were all rotating counter-clockwise. No need for slim jerseys there. Maybe a training camp with Greg Minaar would do the trick?

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
The sport is about skills, not everybody wearing spandex.

I´m trying to understand the reason for being pro spandex.
I think a lot of oldtimers and Americans like it because it was part of the succesful days. What do you think?

(Wait, just getting my body armour on... ;))

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
There is currently a motion at the UCI to ban lycra from gravity events. The strange part is the wording, which will be shot so full of loopholes the rule will become pointless. Having a time trial based speed sport where rider don;t care about aerodynamics is ridiculous.
And if you are really worried about the price of skinsuits, you aren't even in the same league as the riders who need/use them.
Word, and word.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
The sport is about skills, not everybody wearing spandex.

I´m trying to understand the reason for being pro spandex.
I think a lot of oldtimers and Americans like it because it was part of the succesful days. What do you think?

(Wait, just getting my body armour on... ;))
Isnt this sport really about getting from the top of the hill to the bottom in the shortest time possable:crazy:
An i dont think its about being "pro spandex" its about having the choice :cheers:

Last edited:

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Isnt this sport really about getting from the top of the hill to the bottom in the shortest time possable:crazy:
An i dont think its about being "pro spandex" its about having the choice :cheers:
First, I´m discussing spandex on the world-cup. That means, everybody (you too) is free to where thongs, or whatever feels most comfort and is within the restrictions, on their local race. I respect that.

Second, if the majority of the riders don´t feel comfort in riding lycra, that is the way it should be. It´s not more complicated than that...
At that level, lycra is sometimes an unfair advantage. You have sponsors etc putting in a lot of money in the sport we like, making things rolling you know? And if some races are won because of some cheese-head wearing lycra, it´s not part of the game. Everybody have to wear it to keep it fair, but the mojority don´t wan´t to ride in it. You see?

It´s very easy.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
What defines a skinsuit though? Are UCI officials going to be pinching every athlete's jersey and shorts (which have been tailored to be extra tight anyway)?

What a stupid movement this is. Every other sport involving racing the clock is done with skin-tight clothing, it's not gay, and if you're not racing world cups it won't affect you so get over it.
Maybe this is just an opportunity for the UCI officials to cop a feel on their favorite athletes...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Like someone else suggested, it doesn't sound like you're at a level where this concerns you anyway. Chill out and build a bridge. :)

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
HAHAHAHAHAHA.......you're in the wrong sport, champ.:banana: