Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Really can't see me getting any value from a yearly sub to GCN+ or Discovery. might try a month for the first WC DH tho.
Don't think I've missed one since the early 90s Grundig Eurosport days

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Really can't see me getting any value from a yearly sub to GCN+ or Discovery. might try a month for the first WC DH tho.
Don't think I've missed one since the early 90s Grundig Eurosport days
I don't have a subscription. Installed the app in my TV, tried to watch the XCO and sub 23 replays and it says I need to give 'em money.

Fuck UCI, those English assholes and Discovery.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. tried the Android app after reading this thread and found the same.
App's also pretty clunky/shit to navigate as it's also trying to be instagram (like so many Apps these days)

Fuck UCI, those English assholes and Discovery.
... Feel free to add Irish and Scottish assholes to your fuck you list. ;)

I'm honestly struggling to believe I might soon be paying to listen to Rick Mclaughlin

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, I'm kind of over it. If I can't figure it out in 15 minutes, I'm on to other things. Redbull.tv was easy. This is not. I just don't get it. Why do I get the U23 and not the real pros?

If this happens with DH racing. Guess I'm not watching the DH racing. Good luck UCI and Discovery. I'm not supporting you.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Here ya go...

Men's XCO highlights.

Good race. [No Spoilers] and TBF 11mins of XC highlights coverage probably suits me a lot better than 2hrs.

watching Women's next

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Here ya go...

Men's XCO highlights.

Good race. [No Spoilers] and TBF 11mins of XC highlights coverage probably suits me a lot better than 2hrs.

watching Women's next

Both races were great. Trek mechanic for the ladies needs to learn how to change a rear wheel effectively during a race.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Trek mechanic for the ladies needs to learn how to change a rear wheel effectively during a race.
Yeah. WTF? That was ridiculous! She had something like a 19sec lead until she stopped for assistance then the mechanic cost her over a minute to the leading two by the time she'd put her own chain back on with no help and got going again. Even Bart commented the mechanic was allowed to help while she was still in the technical assistance zone! TBF tho she did a bettter job than the dude would have
I'd have thought this exact scenario would be something a WC XCO mechanic would practice/plan for.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Both races were great. Trek mechanic for the ladies needs to learn how to change a rear wheel effectively during a race.
I bought the subscription to GCN+. Watched both short track races and the women’s XCO. Watching men’s XCO now. I’m impressed with the coverage so far, just as good as RedBull TV. Some of the drone footage is really good too, will be interesting to see what they can do with that with the DH races.

Even watched some of the roadie stuff, the Giro D’Italia and Tour of Hungary. Not into road racing at all, but was nice to have it on in the background. So far I think it’s worth $50/year.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I bought the subscription to GCN+. Watched both short track races and the women’s XCO. Watching men’s XCO now. I’m impressed with the coverage so far, just as good as RedBull TV. Some of the drone footage is really good too, will be interesting to see what they can do with that with the DH races.

Even watched some of the roadie stuff, the Giro D’Italia and Tour of Hungary. Not into road racing at all, but was nice to have it on in the background. So far I think it’s worth $50/year.
That's been my take as well. I thought the coverage and commentary was great for the short track and XCO and had no issues using the Android app streaming to my TV. Actually thought it was easier to find the races than it used to be using the Red Bull app. No issues with the $50.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
No issues with the $50.
Please don't take this as a personal attack, but the $50 fee is another step in the gentrification of the sport. A lot of third world county viewers were there because of the free Red Bull broadcasts, and the fee is simply too much for them.

I think it's natural for first world people to think of the GCN+ fee as pocket change, but in a country with an average monthly salary of $200 to support a family of 4 it turns into a significant, non essential expenditure.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

There are so many good cycling documentaries they have on there too.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Please don't take this as a personal attack, but the $50 fee is another step in the gentrification of the sport. A lot of third county viewers were there because of the free Red Bull broadcasts, and the fee is simply too much for them.

I think it's natural for first world people to think of the GCN+ fee as pocket change, but in a country with an average monthly salary of $200 to support a family of 4 it turns into a significant, non essential expenditure.
I definitely understand your point and don't feel attacked. At the same time, I just don't expect anything "good" to be available for free. To your point, the Red Bull broadcasts were probably a good middle ground of being free but with relatively unintrusive marketing to fund the whole thing. They're in a unique situation as a media company. But it's increasingly felt like any free media has turned into a race to the bottom of godawful ad-driven clickbait BS, so I'm fine with paying a bit for things that are not that. I'm not sure how to address availability in areas where a typical income can't support paying to view, but at least the recaps are free, and relying on the sustained interest of an energy drink company probably was never going to last forever. Maybe on the Discovery side there are deals with local broadcasters for some "regular" TV coverage?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Maybe on the Discovery side there are deals with local broadcasters for some "regular" TV coverage?
Nah, at least in South America you get football all over the place. From live European matches to talk shows about how smelly the socks of the goalkeepers get after a match to 4th division matches with less crowd supporting the teams than people in a McDonald's. Or reviews/re-runs of 25-30 year-old matches.

Maybe a 45-second recap of the Tour/Giro/Vuelta if you are lucky during the 7PM news section. MTB is something of a colour touch in the sports channels' news: if somebody hits a wall or a car hard enough during a urban DH race to warrant a short laugh, they'll feature it.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You see the U23 ladies? The leader flatted and it took 1:30 to change the wheel!
1 person banging on the bike and 5 others standing around watching....:bonk:
Didn't watch the U23, but Evie Richards racing for Trek Factory was my wife and my pick pre-race for the Elite's and as Gary outlined above, the mechanic made a hash of it. Yes, she could have dropped it into the hardest gear as she stopped, but the mechanic should cope with that and be quicker changing the wheel, then ensure the chain is on and it's in an easier gear to get going again.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Didn't watch the U23, but Evie Richards racing for Trek Factory was my wife and my pick pre-race for the Elite's and as Gary outlined above, the mechanic made a hash of it. Yes, she could have dropped it into the hardest gear as she stopped, but the mechanic should cope with that and be quicker changing the wheel, then ensure the chain is on and it's in an easier gear to get going again.
time to go back to quick release skewers?!

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
That might have cost her the race. It's funny that with all kinds of crazy bike innovation these days we still can't keep air in the tires.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Even more novel- time to go back to athlete’s being responsible for their own bikes? Remember tech pits are new(and euro and bad). They were introduced after Athens after too many frenchmen broke their bikes in the first two olympiad
they reached for a wrench and accidentally grabbed a baguette.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That might have cost her the race. It's funny that with all kinds of crazy bike innovation these days we still can't keep air in the tires.
I know the mechanic has to haul all that stuff to the remote tech site, but I was thinking a simple Scorpion stand would make life easier when they do actually need to do something.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That might have cost her the race
If you look at the time lost just by the abysmal wheel change and subsequent chain drop and how small gap to the winner she'd clawed back by the finish. That piss poor "pit stop" absolutely did cost her the race. She didn't seem bothered in the slightest in the interview at the finish tho.

Seems we're past worrying about spoilers. (if not dont read on) Pitcocks entire weekend was legendary! Turns up. Gets told he's not got an entry so goes off on a big training ride then on returning is told he can start afterall. Starts at the very back and storms through to win the quali (or whatever that short race is called) .. Then goes on to win the main event after losing the lead by a fair margin to a crash on the penultimate lap.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
So I paid the $50 for GCN+. Call it a Father's Day gift.

Ric is okay. He's no Rob. But you can tell he's put a ton of thought and effort into it. Some comments from other non-english speaking countries said he is harder to understand than Rob. Being American, I'm pretty sure I speak english and can only understand 90% of what either Rob or Ric says - HA!

I can only stream from my phone. All other machines (laptop, tablet, TV app) error when trying to log in. Luckily the app works very well. Contacting GCN+ people on my login errors was super easy and they were very quick and nice, unfortunately none of their recommendations worked. But like I said, I can just use the app on the phone, stream via the Google machine to the big TV, and it works. And life is good.

Coverage is good. Lots of cameras. Usage of drones. Cool.

We'll see when they get to a DH race how it goes, cuz really, that's all what we care about... :)

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

Ric is okay. He's no Rob. But you can tell he's put a ton of thought and effort into it. Some comments from other non-english speaking countries said he is harder to understand than Rob. Being American, I'm pretty sure I speak english and can only understand 90% of what either Rob or Ric says - HA!

I can only stream from my phone. All other machines (laptop, tablet, TV app) error when trying to log in. Luckily the app works very well. Contacting GCN+ people on my login errors was super easy and they were very quick and nice, unfortunately none of their recommendations worked. But like I said, I can just use the app on the phone, stream via the Google machine to the big TV, and it works. And life is good.

We'll see when they get to a DH race how it goes, cuz really, that's all what we care about... :)
Are you going to get the Finals with the app? I thought there was talk of Finals being a different matter?

You have a great attitude about the app not working properly. 50 dollars should not need Google to watch on TV.

Avy

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn

Yes to most of this. DIdn't have issues with streaming on computer but the TV app was ghosty and slow. Stream never caught up so I ended up watching it on the laptop. Going to suck if the DH race does that because if the stream can't keep up with chumps shlumping up a hill, how's it going to work with, you know, downhillers.

Cedric was a letdown so far, for the few mins they bought him on to talk track conditions and tech. Ric ran out of new ways to say the same thing over and over again. Bart was fine, if a little quiet. Rob always injected a bit of spirit into an XC race but luckily this one stayed interesting on it's own with Pidcock's cockup and fight to get back.

My expectations were low, and barely met.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
For those of you with the GCN+ app, I can't install it on my Android phone, it shows only as available for my Android TV. I assume you're using it on iPhone.
Might be a region thing, I've had it on my phone and tablet for a few years.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Please don't take this as a personal attack, but the $50 fee is another step in the gentrification of the sport. A lot of third world county viewers were there because of the free Red Bull broadcasts, and the fee is simply too much for them.

Seems shortsighted. I would think the more eyes on the sport the bigger the industry the more money for everyone.
Look at snowboarding for example, about the same age as MTB, even more barriers to entry, even more expensive and yet Snowboarding is a million times bigger than Mountain biking. Never had to pay to watch Snowboarding.