Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Some nations just don't give a fuck about some other nation's popular sports. Who'da thought?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I think I remember seeing a drawer full of pedals to last just the season on the Pivot bus :p
If you watch BK's LSDs you can also see drawers and stacks of Shimano parts, I9 hubs, Renthal bars and stems, Reynolds rims, etc. Basically typical race team stocks of spares. To conclude from that what lasts and what doesn't is kind of black magic. That said, he publically destroyed his chain guide twice and a Reynolds wheelset once.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
To conclude from that what lasts and what doesn't is kind of black magic. That said, he publically destroyed his chain guide twice and a Reynolds wheelset once.
Deciding that a part doesn't last because a WC rider hucked their bike into a rock (or stump) garden at Mach Stupid probably not the most relevant test of a part's durability hey.

Conversely, deciding a part is ok to use because racers who don't have to pay for parts and get new stuff every week is just as useless.

One could argue enduro seems to be a better proving ground for a lot of stuff because it has to last longer than 4 minutes and the riding is a lot less clinical and perfect.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
One could argue enduro seems to be a better proving ground for a lot of stuff because it has to last longer than 4 minutes and the riding is a lot less clinical and perfect.
You can't seriously be suggesting 5hrs of climbing broken up by a few descents along the way is a better testing ground for gravity components than a day of uplifted descending?
The Derp is strong in this one!

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You can't seriously be suggesting 5hrs of climbing broken up by a few descents along the way is a better testing ground for gravity components than a day of uplifted descending?
The Derp is strong in this one!
There's 3100m of racing descending at the next EWS round, after one practise lap on components that are stickered and have to last the whole day.

So yeah, I absolutely do think its probably a better reality check for parts for most people than comparing durability to WC DH riders. But hey man, I'm sure you're WC DH fast and smooth so you do you.

*edit* I know taking the piss out of enduro is easy to do. But those bikes cop an absolute flogging over a race day. If you're racing DH with a shitton of cash and lots of spare then yeah - DH racing probably gives you lots of good info on whats gonna do the job. But if you're buying your own shit and trying to build a bike that requires less tinkering and love, then a bike designed to do massive days of descending and blind or limited practise runs might be worth keeping an eye on.

The current WC DH racers are literally taking multiple race bikes for the new semi + final format. Makes it kinda hard to tell if their stuff will survive a riding season if you only get to see it 4 minutes at a time.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
There's 3100m of racing descending at the next EWS round, after one practise lap on components that are stickered and have to last the whole day.

So yeah, I absolutely do think its probably a better reality check for parts for most people than comparing durability to WC DH riders. But hey man, I'm sure you're WC DH fast and smooth so you do you.

*edit* I know taking the piss out of enduro is easy to do. But those bikes cop an absolute flogging over a race day. If you're racing DH with a shitton of cash and lots of spare then yeah - DH racing probably gives you lots of good info on whats gonna do the job. But if you're buying your own shit and trying to build a bike that requires less tinkering and love, then a bike designed to do massive days of descending and blind or limited practise runs might be worth keeping an eye on.

The current WC DH racers are literally taking multiple race bikes for the new semi + final format. Makes it kinda hard to tell if their stuff will survive a riding season if you only get to see it 4 minutes at a time.
I'm 100% with you on that. Less practice on the trails mean more mistakes, longer rounds mean more time for gear to break during the run.

So sure peak stress on gear is probably higher in DH but we've had plenty of "well it never broke under our pros" components that were known for being absolutely shit in terms of durability. Hell remember when everyone rode old DT 6.1 rims because they lowered punctures even though they were made from playdough and couldn't even properly hold the tire on the rim?

I think people forget being durable enough to withstand super fast riding is less of an issue for 99.9999999999% of us. A bigger issue is being durable to withstand us doing dumb mistakes.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
You're not seriously trying to claim that's a lot in comparison to a day of chairlift accessed downhill?
FFS. :rofl:

But yeah. It is a LOT of climbing for sure. Ie. Fuck dat!
Big difference between banging out chairlift laps all weekend, and actually racing. I do believe @toodles is talking about actual racing. In our crew, DH racing involved maybe at best a small third of the laps that just leisure riding did.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
DH Racing literally IS banging out chairlift laps all weekend.
6 practice runs constitutes more descending than the fabled 3100m benchmark.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You're not seriously trying to claim that's a lot in comparison to a day of chairlift accessed downhill?
FFS. :rofl:
Not at all man. I'm saying its a lot of vert without swapping parts or having a mechanic replace stuff. Thats the point - DH stuff is only in the spotlight for 3-4mins then hidden away. You won't even see what the break unless its catastrophic mid-run, and even then your brain will dismiss it as "oh yeah but fair play - that wheel broke because WC DH at MSA" rather than - oh maybe that carbon wheelset is stupid investment.

Also - thats a lift accessed race so not that much climbing.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
DH Racing literally IS banging out chairlift laps all weekend.
6 practice runs constitutes more descending than the fabled 3100m benchmark.
6 practise runs of Ft Bill or Val di Sole is about 3300m so pretty close. Wonder how many parts stay the same for the whole practise session.

I mean you're not wrong though - DH racing is fucken brutal on stuff. Its a bloody good test of strength - I just don't think there's much transparency with the results. They're hardly gonna advertise what shit they destroyed\cracked\broke. EWS is a bit harder for the athletes to conceal that shit, or to nurse it out of sight till the finish line.

Or you can just watch what your mates with more cash buy and break and decide based off that. Gets expensive though

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wonder how many parts stay the same for the whole practise session
I'm sure it varies from rider to rider, team to team but many Juniors and privateers don't actually have the luxury of mechanics swapping parts out for them. Or even have an abundance of spares in the first place.

Ive always thought the EWS equipment rules and time penalties were pretty fucking stupid. If you've trashed a part or has a mechanical during a stage you'll likely have already lost time you're not clawing back by replacing the damaged parts.

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm sure it varies from rider to rider, team to team but many Juniors and privateers don't actually have the luxury of mechanics swapping parts out for them. Or even gave an abundance of spares in the first place.

Ive always thought the EWS equipment rules and time penalties were pretty fucking stupid. If you've trashed a part or has a mechanical during a stage you'll likely have already lost time you're not clawing back by replacing the damaged parts.
Even most juniors and stuff have spare wheels though. The new two race runs in one day thingy is making a lot of them need two whole bikes just in case. Privateers are fucked at WC level now. 60 Qualifiers, 30 to main final. Good luck.

The new EDREWSOMGWTF stage points thing is pretty good though. If you smoke a wheel or crash, your race is done but you can still go for stage points\street cred. I liked the limited equipment thing personally, makes for more sensible component development and stops a huge gap between the pro teams and the limited budget racers.

Back on topic, I signed up for GCN+ yesterday in prep for the new season kick off. Will try and sort the app on TV (I believe it will work on the Chromecast 2). $65AUD per year isn't too stupid - thats the cost of one or two pay-per-view mainstream events here or like 3.5 months of Netflix now.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
Back on topic, I signed up for GCN+ yesterday in prep for the new season kick off. Will try and sort the app on TV (I believe it will work on the Chromecast 2). $65AUD per year isn't too stupid - thats the cost of one or two pay-per-view mainstream events here or like 3.5 months of Netflix now.
I'm all set as of today eh. Installed the GCN app on my iPhone, cast to my Roku to watch on my TV. Did a trial run to confirm by watching part of the replay from the XC season opener. I may even watch the DH finals live this weekend. I would normally go for a ride in the morning and watch the replay after, but I am still recovering from a crash a couple of weeks ago on day 1 of my vacation.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm all set as of today eh. Installed the GCN app on my iPhone, cast to my Roku to watch on my TV. Did a trial run to confirm by watching part of the replay from the XC season opener. I may even watch the DH finals live this weekend. I would normally go for a ride in the morning and watch the replay after, but I am still recovering from a crash a couple of weeks ago on day 1 of my vacation.
Maybe regional thing, but I have the Chromecast thingy plugged into my stone age non-smart TV. It had the GCN+ app in the options so installed that, entered the verification code to sign in and now full screen live cycling events on TV.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@toodles which chromecast do you have? I too don't have a smart TV. just terrestrial/free view channels via old skool ariel and use my PS5 for youtube, netflix and on demand TV but do have an older chromecast. Didn't even know it coukd have apps.

With 3 DH WCs in June I'll just be paying last minute for one month GCN+... Then if it turns out to be decent I'll pay again for the remaining rounds. There's nothing else really of value to me other than DH tho.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Must be the new one with Google TV:

I have two v2s and one v3, (and several Chromecast Audio spread across the house), and they're merely cast sinks. The new one has a built-in interface and a remote.

I have a GoogleTV just like that. The GCN+ app is available on it and I have it setup just like @toodles described.

I now have access to about eleventy billion hours of roady content, nearly a full hour of mtb content... and the upcoming mtb racing streams. Yay!?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. I could do that I suppose. The newer chromecast is on offer here so I've just bought one.
I'll give my old chromecast to my GF. Her Samsung smart TV's streaming app (which ironically I had to pay for) is a nightmare to stream anything from (free movie sites etc.)

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Anyone know what the highlights situation is? Are they going to put out a highlights video for free after? Or maybe the top 3 runs? I'm sure I'll end up coughing up the money to subscribe right before the race anyway. I love watching it live.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
FREE Highlights shows for the womens and mens Elite WC XC were available really quickly after each race. And both shows were great. (possiblly better than sitting through 2 hours of live XC)
Hopefully the highlights shows will be done just as well.