Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Didn't Armstrong sue some reporter that exposed him early and ruin their career, basically driving them out of the industry? And they were later vindicated when he was busted officially but the damage was already done?

I seem to recall something like that happening but could have it wrong.

I don't really understand the fundamentals of road cycle racing to be fair. The whole thing seems weird with unofficial sprint "rules", lead riders, tactics, sock infringements, blah blah. Impressive feats of power and endurance though, and the descending speeds are frightening.
This book does a pretty good job explaining his role: https://www.amazon.ca/Secret-Race-Inside-Hidden-France/dp/034553042X/ref=asc_df_034553042X/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292845243006&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3799606120274105188&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1002376&hvtargid=pla-449588941817&psc=1

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I don't really understand the fundamentals of a sport

Here. Read this 400 page book.

:rofl:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I don't really understand the fundamentals of a sport

Here. Read this 400 page book.

:rofl:
See the fundamentals of any form of racing should be - "start here. get there. faster than everyone else"

It get complicated once you bring in weirdness like "if you wear yellow socks its a $15,000 fine" and "if you want to be in the top 50, you have to freeze your red blood cells and re-inject them prior to the event but please don't overdo it and die or you'll embarrass the organising body and bring the sport into further disrepute"

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
it's a team sport Toodles.
Think of it like football*. ie. Not a lot actually happens for most of the game. The cheaper "players" are all only there to help the stars have that 15sec of glory every few hours.
similar amounts of drugs. Less shagging though.

*No. not that stupid american or austrailian football. The proper one where you're only allowed to kick the ball. Hence the fucking name.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
See the fundamentals of any form of racing should be - "start here. get there. faster than everyone else"
TBF that is THE fundamental rule of Pro tour roadracing.
if there were no other rules i'm sure Armstrong would have just borrowed the Discovery private Jet and done fun drugs FTW

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

It get complicated once you bring in weirdness like "if you wear yellow socks its a $15,000 fine" and "if you want to be in the top 50, you have to freeze your red blood cells and re-inject them prior to the event but please don't overdo it and die or you'll embarrass the organising body and bring the sport into further disrepute"
Take your blood out, then put it back in.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Take your blood out, then put it back in.

I think that is easily detected these days. Now it is about microdosing all the various drugs. Which is a lot safer at least. But doping exists in all sports especially when big money is involved. Have to say I was a little skeptical when Amauri Pierron came back from a back injury looking like he was training with the Russian Olympic Committee.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think that is easily detected these days. Now it is about microdosing all the various drugs. Which is a lot safer at least. But doping exists in all sports especially when big money is involved. Have to say I was a little skeptical when Amauri Pierron came back from a back injury looking like he was training with the Russian Olympic Committee.
Road racing is "cleaner" now but I'm under no impression that it's clean.

And to be fair to Amaury, he is only 25. Kids recover much quicker than us old folks.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Road racing is "cleaner" now but I'm under no impression that it's clean.

And to be fair to Amaury, he is only 25. Kids recover much quicker than us old folks.
Not talking about his recovery time but that he returned absolutely fucking ripped.

It is possible that his injury prevented him from racing but could just do a billion of push ups a day but I've never been able to do fuckall with a bad back.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I just realized this was now a thread about buckow hosting some kind of get together.

I hate planes, I hate the people on them, I usually hate where they're going and also where I'm going........but

*sigh*

Might be worth it to show up in person and run you all over with a borrowed dirtbike while explaining (in detail) why mountainbiking is morally wrong and must be stopped.
Oh shit! I forgot I am the same way.

But but but we wouldn’t be doing any mountain biking. We would be doing party laps in bike parks. Your DH bike would work fine. Dust that thing off and let’s do this.

Anyways, I found you a bike. It´s more of a plow bike than your 125 and I think it’s probably a little heavier.

71C36B24-EC6A-4CB6-8B78-5EE820FB5DB2.jpeg

Maybe even @Udi and @toodles could pop over for the day?

Bowl cuts.
Well, yeah…

Okay, new plan! I like this Mid-August time frame. I fly to CO after working at Tour De France, work at Breck Epic, then fly back over with mine and my girlfriend's Gamblers. She flies* over from Maui to meet in Swizz. Profit.

*Yeah that's a lot of flying but the environment can take one more for the team. What am I supposed to do, stay in Colorado and ride the moondust at Sol Vista?
Fuck yeah Leland! Morgins laps!

Are you working the Châtel TDF arrivé on the 10th of July? Are you bringing your DH bike?

@OGRipper You should be fine.

I can’t promise that I will respect the dress code or not say something dumb while riding however in that case heckling and ridiculing are more than welcome!

1DDEB51A-F100-4B4D-8BBC-A4A914EDF895.jpeg

Anyways, this is a solution for a problem.

IF The MAN takes away watching the races from us then I propose we fucking stick it to said MAN and ride DH bikes and watch the Les Gets race in person. It’s the next best thing after watching Telly.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
it's a team sport Toodles.
Think of it like football*. ie. Not a lot actually happens for most of the game. The cheaper "players" are all only there to help the stars have that 15sec of glory every few hours.
similar amounts of drugs. Less shagging though.

*No. not that stupid american or austrailian football. The proper one where you're only allowed to kick the ball. Hence the fucking name.
That is Funny Brother. Bold,Offensive,and somewhat True.

The cheaper players are paid really well Brother. I am a Football Fan since 1994 when World Cup came to CA. Man what a Rush. It was Insane here in the Bay Area. All Hotels Filt,Stanford University Packed like a can of Sardines. Flags,smoke,music drums,traffic. Every place of Business Filt. People in the street’s All Night Long. It was Glorious. I was Hook’ed! What the Fuck is goin here I said? So it began.

You are so Right with this American/Ausi,Asui,Asui Football. Fucking ”World Champion”. Really,you have gone against the ”World” and beat them all? You Can Not Claim this title Sir. No? No!

That is why I laughed so hard when you said,”The proper one,where you’re only allowed to kick the ball”.

Avy

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I just watched this weeks GMBN Dirt Shed Show. In the news they mention the Discovery deal. Martin says they "are a part of Discovery" :think:

So he's stoked.

Me? We'll see in 2023! And apparently it's a 7 year deal!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I just watched this weeks GMBN Dirt Shed Show. In the news they mention the Discovery deal. Martin says they "are a part of Discovery" :think:

So he's stoked.

Me? We'll see in 2023! And apparently it's a 7 year deal!
I had to google it...and it seems GMBN is indeed part of Discovery. Interesting!

My optimistic side wants to believe streaming the WC races may very well still be possible, as being "Multi-platform" seems very important for them:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I had to google it...and it seems GMBN is indeed part of Discovery. Interesting!

My optimistic side wants to believe streaming the WC races may very well still be possible, as being "Multi-platform" seems very important for them:
So is Rob out of a Job? Will we see him again?
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Oh shit! I forgot I am the same way.

But but but we wouldn’t be doing any mountain biking. We would be doing party laps in bike parks. Your DH bike would work fine. Dust that thing off and let’s do this.

Anyways, I found you a bike. It´s more of a plow bike than your 125 and I think it’s probably a little heavier.

View attachment 172454

Maybe even @Udi and @toodles could pop over for the day?

Well, yeah…

Fuck yeah Leland! Morgins laps!

Are you working the Châtel TDF arrivé on the 10th of July? Are you bringing your DH bike?

@OGRipper You should be fine.

I can’t promise that I will respect the dress code or not say something dumb while riding however in that case heckling and ridiculing are more than welcome!

View attachment 172455

Anyways, this is a solution for a problem.

IF The MAN takes away watching the races from us then I propose we fucking stick it to said MAN and ride DH bikes and watch the Les Gets race in person. It’s the next best thing after watching Telly.
Forgive me Brother,as I am sure All know who is in that shot. However,I do not. Could you please tell me All the Boy’s Handle from Left to Right,and if I may,what bike they are on? Thank You,and good day.
Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just promise never to use the word "acoustic" in reference to a bicycle unless you're taking the piss.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Forgive me Brother,as I am sure All know who is in that shot. However,I do not. Could you please tell me All the Boy’s Handle from Left to Right,and if I may,what bike they are on? Thank You,and good day.
Avy
No need Avy. Nobody knows those guys and they are just old friends of mine from around here. I was just making fun of myself because I wasn´t properly dressed in order to warn my more fashion conscious monkies, in case they come ride.

You coming Avy? If you thought a football game was cool then you need to see a WC DH race in Les Gets. The guy with all the retro DH bikes lives there by the way.

I spoke with Patrice Afflatet, the team manager rep for the DH teams and UCI. It was a complete surprise to the team managers and they don’t know what to think. He brought up an interesting point on the positive side. No more funny business regarding media rights and fizzy drink helmets. Since there isn’t a biased party doing all that production and rights stuff, it could be beneficial. Other than that it seemed like it was a surprise.

@Gary I always liked calling them little bikes or big bikes. Single crown or double crown was the deciding factor.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
i just sold my only ridable mtb. dunno if i have an acoustic bike till august again. am i allowed to come?
For sure! Bring your gravel or rechargeable electrified ebike bike. There are too many gravel roads around here. I´me just trying to get the party started here. I don’t care what bike you are on or how you dress as long as yer cool, man. Haha.

@leland was the last RM visitor and we had a nice day in Morgins. I think he liked the area and enjoyed the trails. I liked how he just got in the train and hit a road gap blind. I’ll bring the bbq and ice chest for the knee oil.

@OGRipper Have you made up your mind?

@Everybody The HQ for the UCI is in Aigle, Switzerland. There are cog train shuttled loamy trails in Aigle. We could split up and part of the group spends the day telling the UCI/Simon things and the rest do loamers. I’m trying to keep this on topic here!

What do y´all say. Am I gaining traction like a like a fresh set of Kendas? Are we doing this?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@Gary I always liked calling them little bikes or big bikes. Single crown or double crown was the deciding factor.
Yeah. plenty folk would call them the same over here so big bike has always meant DH bike to me too. But little bike to me would probably mean a little DJ/pumptrack type hardtail

All my bikes are now absolutely tiny (by today's standards)

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Have you guys heard of "peacocktv"? https://www.peacocktv.com/

In order to watch ALL the Supercross events, I subscribed. ($5/month). For a while, my cable TV operator did not offer NBC. Thanks Dish, you assholes.

Peacock has all the NBC shows/sports you could ask for. From Soccer, to Indy to any NBC shows.

For supercross, coverage is same as what you'd see on NBC . Including commercials. Which is really annoying. So I'm paying for commercials?!!?! Fork me!

Anyways, point being, I have a feeling Discovery may be doing this model. Or is at least one model to choose from....

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Armstrong brought "literally billions" to the sport?

Let's not rehash all this bullshit here. He also cured cancer, I know.