Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
it still sucks big time when compared to Netflix or Amazon Prime. The interface is slow, bugged, and the subtitles are a nightmare sometimes.
Amazon has it's issues too. Especially outside US where they do nothing to localize content and their acquisitions people buy crap in bulk.

For now in terms of UX its

1. Netflix
2. Disney
3. Apple
4. Dunno. Hulu? Shudder? Mubi?
5. literally anything
6. A block of wood
7. HBO
8. Old HBO

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'll take HBO Max over Amazon Prime. Prime content video quality is all over the place, and some of their newer content sources have commercials in them even though they're "Prime" (FreeVee etc).
if prime was a standalone video service, i would not pay for it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i would say that interface speed is highly influenced by the device its installed on. i have a samsung smart tv and the software/apps are so slow i want to murder it. i've since switched to Roku Ultimate units, and not a single app runs slowly on it. i have 0 issues with hbo max on any of my rokus.

honestly out of all the streaming services we have, amazon prime is the worst. both for content and for the UI.

no experience w/ subtitles though, but i get that you probably make more use of them than i would.
My problem with Roku is it's crap if you are not in the US. I don't get what's the issue with that. So I will probably overpay for Apple TV.

I'll take HBO Max over Amazon Prime. Prime content video quality is all over the place, and some of their newer content sources have commercials in them even though they're "Prime" (FreeVee etc).
For content there is a reason why HBO has all the emmy nominations this year. There were at least 10-15 shows on HBO that were shown in the emmy eligibility period.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My problem with Roku is it's crap if you are not in the US. I don't get what's the issue with that. So I will probably overpay for Apple TV.
that's fair. my experience with the roku has been great. i tried one on a whim when we first cut cable, i think it was a black friday sale or something. liked it so much i now have 3 of them. one of the best things about them is that both my young kids and my parents (both in their 70s, so not as technically savvy) were able to figure out how to use it without issue.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
All the Fox/Star/Disney derived apps are slow AF in Android. Both TV and phones/tablets. I blamed it on ageing hardware, but having replaced all the phones/tablets in the family with very recent units they are still slow to react and load.
no issues with disney+ on my old ass pixel 3a, or my kids kindle fire tablets. could it be a network issue?

As usual, Netflix sweeps the floor with all the other services in terms of UX/UI IMHO.
content, on the other hand....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We have Prime, but we never use the video service. It seems to be filled with junk, just like Netflix. And anything of interest most likely has yet another rental or subscription fee.

At least with Netflix there is no second guessing, if its in there, you can watch it without any bullcrap.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd say it comes down to localization. You're using the native app's UI language, while we are using the Latin-American version here. Maybe it adds another layer of complexity?
yea, that's certainly a possibility. also i'm not trying to be dismissive of anyones issues or complaints.

back to the topic of broadcasting races, RB did have a good setup in that it is available in most countries. it sounds like hbo/wb/discovery doesn't have quite as far of reach as RB does. which, unless they step up and increase the availability some countries will be SOL.

I wonder how world champs will be impacted? since the broadcast rights for that are separate from the WC season, and are done on a country by country basis.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Though that would still probably hurt HBO and HBO is the golden goose really. If that thing didn't have UX created by a blind person and it was available worldwide (a ton of countries have no HBO streaming) they'd rival Netflix easy. Probably not Netflix numbers but 70-80% of them.
:wave: Canada has limited HBO through one streaming service (Crave) that's owned by one of our national ISPs (Bell).

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
We have Prime, but we never use the video service. It seems to be filled with junk, just like Netflix. And anything of interest most likely has yet another rental or subscription fee.

At least with Netflix there is no second guessing, if its in there, you can watch it without any bullcrap.
I have Prime, Netflix and Disney+. Keep wanting to get rid of one, but Disney is killing it for content (keeps my kids happy); Prime sucks (for the most part) but they keep you hooked with the free delivery for shopping and low(ish) costs; and Netflix has just enough decent content (even though it can be hard to find) to stay relevant.

The trick for us is trying to get enough french-produced shows and movies when we are not in Quebec. I want my kids to have access to french-language content (beyond watching cartoons in another language). It's pretty slim pickings across all platforms, but between them, we can sort of make it work.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
one thing to add that i just realized - a lot of this bigger media companies, eg discovery, hbo, may have more restrictions as they are still tied to traditional TV broadcasts. RedBull didn't have those restrictions.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have Prime, Netflix and Disney+. Keep wanting to get rid of one, but Disney is killing it for content (keeps my kids happy); Prime sucks (for the most part) but they keep you hooked with the free delivery for shopping and low(ish) costs; and Netflix has just enough decent content (even though it can be hard to find) to stay relevant.

The trick for us is trying to get enough french-produced shows and movies when we are not in Quebec. I want my kids to have access to french-language content (beyond watching cartoons in another language). It's pretty slim pickings across all platforms, but between them, we can sort of make it work.
we have netflix, disney+, hbo, hulu (including live tv), paramount+, and prime (which we only have as a benefit of prime membership, wouldn't pay for it otherwise). even with all these services, its *still* cheaper for us than cable.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Besides the content library itself, the next thing I care most about is quality of video and audio. We have pretty much all of the major services, and the best in the bunch for that are Apple+ and Disney+, followed by Netflix and then HBO Max.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i had posted the below comment over on vital in response to someone saying maybe RB would just wait and see how discovery does. wanted to share my thoughts on that here, because i personally don't see RB sitting around waiting to see if the UCI comes crawling back to them if discovery effs it up, so to speak

given the infrastructure and capabilities RB has with their MTB race coverage (and freeride, among other sports), i would be surprised if they just sat back waiting to see what happens with discovery and the WC/UCI. I seem to recall hearing they were a bit caught off guard when they found out the UCI awarded the media contract to discovery. so it wouldn't totally surprise me that, in the event discovery fails miserably and their UCI contract got nixed (however unlikely) that RB just might not be interested in working with the UCI again. plus, its not like they don't have other MTB events in which they are the title sponsor (Rampage, Hardline, Joyride, etc). i could certainly see them wanting to have more stake and control in any race series or events moving forward, rather than being subject to the whims of a sport governing body like the UCI.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
one thing to add that i just realized - a lot of this bigger media companies, eg discovery, hbo, may have more restrictions as they are still tied to traditional TV broadcasts. RedBull didn't have those restrictions.
What restrictions? Unless they actually run the shows on live TV and not live on streming TV regulations won't apply

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i had posted the below comment over on vital in response to someone saying maybe RB would just wait and see how discovery does. wanted to share my thoughts on that here, because i personally don't see RB sitting around waiting to see if the UCI comes crawling back to them if discovery effs it up, so to speak
I don't think RB will throw a hissy fit. It's business. Either makes sense or not for them to buy the rights. Still it's a weird time for streaming. One one side - it's a scramble for sports now. On another HBO/Discovery is cutting costs like crazy. So who knows

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
what was the name of the company that took over from Freecaster? What a disaster that was... are you expecting a similar scenario?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't think RB will throw a hissy fit. It's business. Either makes sense or not for them to buy the rights. Still it's a weird time for streaming. One one side - it's a scramble for sports now. On another HBO/Discovery is cutting costs like crazy. So who knows
i don't think they would either TBH. it's not like WC broadcasting is make or break for their bottom line.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What restrictions? Unless they actually run the shows on live TV and not live on streming TV regulations won't apply
that's my point, is that those rules didn't apply - which probably gave RB a lot more freedom to manage their platform.

although they do have a deal w/ NBC to broadcast their signature series.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
that's my point, is that those rules didn't apply - which probably gave RB a lot more freedom to manage their platform.

although they do have a deal w/ NBC to broadcast their signature series.
If they stream without putting it on linear then the rules will still not apply. Not sure about US broadcast rules but many of them seem laxer than EU rules when comparing what's on EU vs US TV. I bet US is stricter in some weird ways where you can't have women smiling when thinking about sex or cheese but that doesn't apply here so I think we're safe. Swearing will probably be the only really policed thing.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i don't think they would either TBH. it's not like WC broadcasting is make or break for their bottom line.
It's not even that. Unless RB is petty and doesn't behave like a media company it's all business. Everyone was super mad at Warnerbros for their move of simultaneous releases of cinema releases on streaming (last year) since it scrwed with their back end but this year people are fine working for them just because they have the money. Yeah they might no longer be the first option but there aren't that many companies to chose from.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You guys sure do care an awful lot about TV, eh?

no wonder you ride your bikes so little 8-)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You do realize I work in TV?
Yeah. I do
You can't expect everyone you meet who also just so happens to ride a bicycle to be interested. 8-)

I don't think I've missed a single DH world cup or DH world champs race since I started following it around '93/'94 whether that was on Eurosport/BBC/Freecaster/RB etc. but if the WC becomes pay per view or it's presentation becomes truely terrible I'll probably just stop watching it.
It's honestly not that big a deal. Pre youtube/Live internet viewing MTB WCs had pretty poor live coverage and we'd wait 2 months for WC reports/pics in printed magazines.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Yeah. I do
You can't expect everyone you meet who also just so happens to ride a bicycle to be interested. 8-)

I don't think I've missed a single DH world cup or DH world champs race since I started following it around '93/'94 whether that was on Eurosport/BBC/Freecaster/RB etc. but if the WC becomes pay per view or it's presentation becomes truely terrible I'll probably just stop watching it.
It's honestly not that big a deal. Pre youtube/Live internet viewing MTB WCs had pretty poor live coverage and we'd wait 2 months for WC reports/pics in printed magazines.
1659811643402.gif

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
instead of searching for gifs watch the racing...

You may never have it this good again ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah. I do

yeah but it explains why I'm interested in TV.

Re. Streams I have no issue with pay per view. I have issues if Disco+UCI try to turn DH into corporate F1 like douchebaggery. If it's confirmed Disco pushes for top30 or does other stupid shit they are not getting my money since the last 2 races have shown us riders outside of the top30 doing really well even when qualifying low (also no Wyn on the hot seat). Longer field just adds more variables. I like the sport as it is. There is no stupid drama, hate between the riders. DH is one of a few sports where people seem to actually like each other (and yes I know there are exceptions) and I like what the sport has turned into. It's not perfect but the changes needed to be made should come from riders not from wall street financed content blue balls.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
the last 2 races have shown us riders outside of the top30 doing really well even when qualifying low
The last 30 years have shown me I have little interest in watching most of the 30-80 guys at all.
Only 30 qualifying for finals would just make it all the more important to be as consistent and on game as possible to actually qualify.
Protected riders in with a shot at the overall and podiums will no doubt still be in the big show and riders who are consistently outside of the top 30 who lets face it have little hope of a podium and even less hope of a high overall will still have a chance to be in finals. They'll just have to do better in qualification. There's a clue in the meaning of the word.
(also no Wyn on the hot seat)
Wyn TV is waaay better when Wyn doesn't qualify.
I like the sport as it is.
Yeah. I think we all got that
changes needed to be made should come from riders not from wall street financed content blue balls.
Yeah. I agree with that. But the UCI have historically got it all shades of fucked up wrong too. At least Chris Ball's roots are in DH

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The last 30 years have shown me I have little interest in watching most of the 30-80 guys at all.
Only 30 qualifying for finals would just make it all the more important to be as consistent and on game as possible to actually qualify.
Protected riders in with a shot at the overall and podiums will no doubt still be in the big show and riders who are consistently outside of the top 30 who lets face it have little hope of a podium and even less hope of a high overall will still have a chance to be in finals. They'll just have to do better in qualification. There's a clue in the meaning of the word.
Wyn TV is waaay better when Wyn doesn't qualify.
Yeah. I think we all got that
Yeah. I agree with that. But the UCI have historically got it all shades of fucked up wrong too. At least Chris Ball's roots are in DH
So the issue is if you don't want to watch 30-80 don't watch them. The rest of us want to watch them. So the best compromise here is to stream it all and you can just avoid the parts you don't want.

Since your argument is screw the slower riders because Gary doesn't want to jump in a little later. The consistency argument is BS. It's not a consistent sport. Freak accidents happen. Also most of us here love the sport because you get stories like Shoshoe where riders who were typically further off got surprisingly good results. A top30 finals would deprive us of those moments.

You are also making the wrong assumption that a top30 finals would not change anything outside of the fact that we get shorter finals. In reality what would happen is fewer people would be racing world cups because they'd know they can't qualify. Fewer people racing, fewer new people advancing into the top ranks and less rotation at the top. Essentially you are arguing for Downhill like F1 - at the start of the season you know who the select few top dogs are, everything is "consistent" and predictable. Fuck that. A top30 finals would turn downhill into a side show and enduro would probably take over.

Also WynTV won't exist if Wyn won't be able to qualify for 70% of the races.