Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
damn, 8 month off season is something. and a 7 week mid-summer break? those are some long dry spells for we sports fans. and october msa will be... interesting.

hopefully the promise of an expanded season (into new geographic markets) will eventually come to pass. adding a couple early season races in the southern hemisphere would be rad.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Every year i cross my fingers for a new venue. Killington or an old school Mt snow would be sick. Pierron on a heater down yardsale??OMG Guess they have no interest in hosting.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Google claims -1 to 7C average temp in October for MSA. Is UCI on some weird French Canadian Crack?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The race at MSA in October will be relatable to many of us fools, who have ridden out there freezing your ass going up the lift in the rain for some laps on trails covered in leaves. Its the thanksgiving long weekend for us, so its usually when all the bike parks close for the year.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Early october at MSA can easily be the best conditions imaginable. The colors are pretty much at their peak (the photographers will love it) and there is zero chance of dusty conditions.

Late September and early october is the best time to ride here IMO. The mountain closes usually early/mid-october (for Canadian Thanksgiving)...and pretty much everybody complains that it's too early and there is still plenty of good riding left.

If the weather is really shitty, I'd say it could be as bad as shitty weather in Ft. William, any time of the year. I also think World Cups in Lourdes in March (or was it April?) are also much more likely to be cold and muddy than MSA in early October.

I do recall riding MSA with snow at the top, but it was over 15 years ago and in late october. I must admit my life was absolutely miserable that day...let's hope we're not that unlucky. :)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The combo DH and Enduro events are cool although limited time so racers will still have to pick either or rather than do both. I guess coverage will suffer also, could have been an awesome dual event.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The race at MSA in October will be relatable to many of us fools, who have ridden out there freezing your ass going up the lift in the rain for some laps on trails covered in leaves. Its the thanksgiving long weekend for us, so its usually when all the bike parks close for the year.
Fall is probably my favorite time to ride. It also brings back fond memories of October races from my youth.

From my end the only strike against it is that it's during the school year and the same weekend as thanksgiving. Which will make it harder for me to go, but we'll see. Maybe if the moved races back to Sunday!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Early october at MSA can easily be the best conditions imaginable. The colors are pretty much at their peak (the photographers will love it) and there is zero chance of dusty conditions.

Late September and early october is the best time to ride here IMO. The mountain closes usually early/mid-october (for Canadian Thanksgiving)...and pretty much everybody complains that it's too early and there is still plenty of good riding left.

If the weather is really shitty, I'd say it could be as bad as shitty weather in Ft. William, any time of the year. I also think World Cups in Lourdes in March (or was it April?) are also much more likely to be cold and muddy than MSA in early October.

I do recall riding MSA with snow at the top, but it was over 15 years ago and in late october. I must admit my life was absolutely miserable that day...let's hope we're not that unlucky. :)
Maybe Bromont is worse, I've lost count of how many times I've froze my ass off going up that slow lift in the misty rain haha.

And then doing a u-turn under the lift and going down 18 or whatever soaking wet...that off camber rock face...

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Red Bull should put on an off season downhill series during the winter or spring in the Southern Hemisphere. Limit it to 4 races and concentrate it in one area, i.e. New Zealand. Promote the eff out of it and give everyone a chance to see where they are at prior to the season proper and make some money.

The main reason they should do this is that I would like to watch more downhill races for free. Of course if they actually did this it would only be viable for the top guys.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Red Bull should put on an off season downhill series during the winter or spring in the Southern Hemisphere. Limit it to 4 races and concentrate it in one area, i.e. New Zealand. Promote the eff out of it and give everyone a chance to see where they are at prior to the season proper and make some money.

The main reason they should do this is that I would like to watch more downhill races for free. Of course if they actually did this it would only be viable for the top guys.
I don't think it would only be viable to the top guys as plenty of privateers spend their winters in NZ. So it's not that impossible if it's just NZ and not some Oceania hopping series (though I do really think promoting DH racing there would be awesome. Not that there isn't a scene there. There are some nice spots at least in Indonesia acording to what the people I've met while riding in Bali told me)

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Watched this and instantly remembered why I never watch any UCI content. Just imagine, what if the next 10 years with Discovery will look similar to this? :bad:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Watched this and instantly remembered why I never watch any UCI content. Just imagine, what if the next 10 years with Discovery will look similar to this? :bad:

90% chance someone who never watched any DH related content did this.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
90% chance someone who never watched any DH related content did this.
It's Neethling commentating, so just imagine how much worse things can get. Hell, even Eurosport did better in the 90s with commentators that covered almost every sport imaginable and had no MTB expertise.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It's Neethling commentating, so just imagine how much worse things can get. Hell, even Eurosport did better in the 90s with commentators that covered almost every sport imaginable and had no MTB expertise.
I'm really tempted to apply for a job there given I work for Discoverys main competitor I probably have a chance but I doubt I have enough experience to be given full control. Especially since I'm not a live event producer. I will look for posts just out of curiosity.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm really tempted to apply for a job there given I work for Discoverys main competitor I probably have a chance but I doubt I have enough experience to be given full control. Especially since I'm not a live event producer. I will look for posts just out of curiosity.
Get Warner on board, we will make sure you have an endless supply of your favorite cold beverage.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Get Warner on board, we will make sure you have an endless supply of your favorite cold beverage.
He is tied to RB for at least a year afaik. This could be done well if they find someone who understands not only the sport but what makes good DH content which imho is harder than it seems since you need to understand it conceptually so you can hire the right people and know where to spend your energy within the corporate constraints.

I'm worried they might be trying to "broaden" the demo but that would be a mistake. Then again 99% of attempts to broaden the demo don't work.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Whom I just can't stand more than a few seconds. :banghead:
I always wondered how a scuffy irish man got the gig in the first place.
So assumed he must've been a mate of Chris' and cheap.
Nothing against him in his current role (let's face it EWS coverage is shite already) But yeah as the the next commentator or presenter of DH WC he isn't likely to be great.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
He is tied to RB for at least a year afaik. This could be done well if they find someone who understands not only the sport but what makes good DH content which imho is harder than it seems since you need to understand it conceptually so you can hire the right people and know where to spend your energy within the corporate constraints.

I'm worried they might be trying to "broaden" the demo but that would be a mistake. Then again 99% of attempts to broaden the demo don't work.
couldn’t they just hire the same production company rb used?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
couldn’t they just hire the same production company rb used?
Do we know it's an outside production company and not a mix of employees and freelancers? Also we don't know how much of the extra content is in house as RB is generally quite good with that. Might ask some friends if someone with better connections at RB doesn't speak up here.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
From Vitals recap. Sounds somewhat promising.

• Bittersweet ender to the broadcast with the crew going over their 10 years of highlights. Thank you Rob, Tracey, Claudio and Eliot! Rob said, "we've lost the rights to the World Cup, but Red Bull will be back in a big way, I promise. Sometimes you're better off when you start from scratch." #popcornemoji

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
From Vitals recap. Sounds somewhat promising.

• Bittersweet ender to the broadcast with the crew going over their 10 years of highlights. Thank you Rob, Tracey, Claudio and Eliot! Rob said, "we've lost the rights to the World Cup, but Red Bull will be back in a big way, I promise. Sometimes you're better off when you start from scratch." #popcornemoji
Hardline World Series 8-)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Didn't the UCI try to force something a few years ago where they'd not let World Cup riders do any other event series? It didn't last long, I think it was either a knee jerk to the EWS or Crankworx series.

A rival series could be awesome though.