Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
He probably has the SP one too! They had 165mm rear hubs didn’t they?
If you come Avy, I got a Yeti DH6 or a Lahar for you. Just give me a heads up so I can get them running again. Or a Super 8. We need to get @iRider involved so he can run his Intense.
Dude, I would love to participate in #EuroMonkeyFest22. But I cannot afford it...I mean...not because of Switzerland. You would end up with a lot less bikes in your shed and I with a lot less money on my account. :D

Speaking of vintage bikes.... ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yeah, nothing screams "I'm not on The Juice™" as riding 180+ km daily at top speed for up to 15 days...
i never said they weren't. that era you basically doped or you just couldn't hang with the peloton and you were out. i'm saying the degree to which his doping program went - from organization, to the kinds of doping, to funding, etc - was much higher than any of the other teams.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
i never said they weren't. that era you basically doped or you just couldn't hang with the peloton and you were out. In road racing you basically dope to compete. i'm saying the degree to which his doping program went - from organization, to the kinds of doping, to funding, etc - was much higher than any of the other teams.
FTFY :clue:

That's pretty much like saying El Chapo deserves something worse than Pablo Escobar (or vice versa). And that's exactly what drove me away from road racing: some of their fans openly denying the amount of juice necessary to run the show.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
FTFY :clue:

That's pretty much like saying El Chapo deserves something worse than Pablo Escobar (or vice versa). And that's exactly what drove me away from road racing: some of their fans openly denying the amount of juice necessary to run the show.
no. its not. there's enough literature out there that documents how much farther he went than any other team, or anyone else in the peloton. he wasn't just casually doping to gain an edge or hang with the peloton or win a couple of stages like everyone else. doping wasn't a secondary aspect to his training program. doping was the foundation of his entire training program. he chose teammates not based on whether or not they would dope, but how much doping they would do.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I’m late to the party here, but though he may be an asshole, Lance brought literally billions of dollars into the sport, and got tens of thousands of people to try wearing spandex and riding skinny tires. Top level roadies went for driving nice cars to flying nice Gulfstreams. Let’s not forget the EPO vendors too, their business saw a clear benefit

That kind of growth and pay for riders won’t happen with DH, but it may mean the difference betweenTop Ramen and a nice PB&J for some of the tertiary riders.

As far as energy drink sponsorships, I don’t see an issue, in moderation there’s nothing in there that’s harmful, if there were millions of Kyles would be lying dead in the street by now. Hanging out and riding with cyclists and moto guys sponsored by energy drink companies I can confirm, pretty much all of them drink that crap, the non sponsored ones too.

I get it if you’re not into expensive sugar water with caffeine, but to say it’s poison is just false, and to wish them out of the sport is shortsighted and petty. I’ll butt-chug a thousand Red Bulls before I touch a Specialized, but I’m still happy to have them throwing money at Bruni to ride their litigious asshole chariots. At least Red Bull seems to actually take care of their sponsored riders instead of just dumping them as soon as their performance starts to slip.
he was also the biggest cheat in the history of cycling, possibly of all sports .
:stupid:
and not only that, but how many people died in the arms race to get the best "juice", but couldn't afford the quality of doctors USPS had?! how many racers who wanted to race "clean" lost careers and had their dreams crushed because of it?!

I don't care how much "growth" he brought to the sport, given it wound up doing so much harm.

yeah, nothing screams "I'm not on The Juice™" as riding 180+ km daily at top speed for up to 15 days...
it's 21 days... (minus two rest days. and the time trials)

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
while discovery certainly knows media, i think the biggest potential issue is that they don't understand mountain biking the way red bull does.
My main concern with Discovery/Eurovision is who would they put in front of the camera. We all remember the asshats NBC featured for Red Bull Rampage. They might even bring in the same guys they pay to chit chat over the road races, as ESPN used to do. A bad commentard would certainly ruin the broadcast for me.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
My main concern with Discovery/Eurovision is who would they put in front of the camera. We all remember the asshats NBC featured for Red Bull Rampage. They might even bring in the same guys they pay to chit chat over the road races, as ESPN used to do. A bad commentard would certainly ruin the broadcast for me.
1. Start broadcast
2. Press "mute"
3. Connect your phone to bluetooth speaker
4. chose your favorite metal/techno/hip hop/rock/classic/etc. playlist
5. Press "play"
6. ???
7. Profit

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That tag would also be applicable to every other modern Tour/Vuelta/Giro competitor. And their coaches/team suport members.
That is completely ignorant of the actual story and facts. Armstrong wasn't a customer, he was a ringleader, he was actively intimidating other riders, calling shots, and then calling them out as liars and attempting to smear them for bringing up (true) accusations. He was a ringleader, coordinated with the docs/managed and not some innocent victim. Please read the actual story sometime and not just what you think to be true. The level at which he was involved and running sh*t far exceeds other riders involvement in doping.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That is completely ignorant of the actual story and facts. Armstrong wasn't a customer, he was a ringleader, he was actively intimidating other riders, calling shots, and then calling them out as liars and attempting to smear them for bringing up (true) accusations. He was a ringleader, coordinated with the docs/managed and not some innocent victim. Please read the actual story sometime and not just what you think to be true.
Didn't Armstrong sue some reporter that exposed him early and ruin their career, basically driving them out of the industry? And they were later vindicated when he was busted officially but the damage was already done?

I seem to recall something like that happening but could have it wrong.

I don't really understand the fundamentals of road cycle racing to be fair. The whole thing seems weird with unofficial sprint "rules", lead riders, tactics, sock infringements, blah blah. Impressive feats of power and endurance though, and the descending speeds are frightening.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Didn't Armstrong sue some reporter that exposed him early and ruin their career, basically driving them out of the industry? And they were later vindicated when he was busted officially but the damage was already done?

I seem to recall something like that happening but could have it wrong.

I don't really understand the fundamentals of road cycle racing to be fair. The whole thing seems weird with unofficial sprint "rules", lead riders, tactics, sock infringements, blah blah. Impressive feats of power and endurance though, and the descending speeds are frightening.
David Walsh. His book about balldong "Seven Deadly Sins" is a good read on the subject.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That is completely ignorant of the actual story and facts. Armstrong wasn't a customer, he was a ringleader, he was actively intimidating other riders, calling shots, and then calling them out as liars and attempting to smear them for bringing up (true) accusations. He was a ringleader, coordinated with the docs/managed and not some innocent victim. Please read the actual story sometime and not just what you think to be true. The level at which he was involved and running sh*t far exceeds other riders involvement in doping.
the citation supporting balldong's lifetime ban:

"Use, possession, trafficking, administration of prohibited substances and methods and assisting, encouraging, aiding, abetting, covering up or any other type of complicity involving one or more anti-doping rule violations and/or attempted anti-doping rule violations."

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Who knew this place was so full of closeted road fans.
No shit. Might explain a few things.
Let’s do a couple laps n beers this summer! Let me know. I’ll bring the BBQ.

@iRider I’m blowing it. How about we organize a pickup around Aug 15? Kidding…. Unless you want to come shred. I should have a few more death traps by then. you are welcome to try one. I might even have some small wheels somewhere.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just realized this was now a thread about buckow hosting some kind of get together.

I hate planes, I hate the people on them, I usually hate where they're going and also where I'm going........but

*sigh*

Might be worth it to show up in person and run you all over with a borrowed dirtbike while explaining (in detail) why mountainbiking is morally wrong and must be stopped.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No don't worry, we still have another 12 months to rack this thread up with complaints.
I just realized this was now a thread about buckow hosting some kind of get together.

I hate planes, I hate the people on them, I usually hate where they're going and also where I'm going........but

*sigh*

Might be worth it to show up in person and run you all over with a borrowed dirtbike while explaining (in detail) why mountainbiking is morally wrong and must be stopped.
if changleen goes you two can turn it into a lecture series.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Well spoken Jm. I was a huge LeMond Fan,grew up his biggest Fan,even though I have No Interest in Road Bikes. I thought that another American can do it as well? I then became a Lance Fan. In 2006? I was working for Specialized as a wrench for there 06 Debut,with all the Magazine’s etc,in Morgan Hill CA. We had to build 338 bikes if memory serves me? It was a Ryder Truck Filled Three Level’s high,each bike with cardboard in between Every Bike for protection. As we built the bikes,the Tour was on the Telly,right there for all of us to see. I am trying to remember who there Ace was(Spesh)at the time? Can not remember,I would if it was Dirt. Anyway,at this point he was skating free,even though there was trouble knocking at the Door. I for some reason,thought that there just hating on him. They did the same for Greg,though there was not any doping question’s on Greg. So the whole Lot of them Hated Lance,Almost as much as they Hated Shimano. I was talking Big Shit,not making Any Friends. On top of that,I rode a Santa Cruz,oooooooh,no,that is a no no Avy. Fuck You I said,you all seem to be Brainwashed I thought. You don’t like Shimano? I said come here and feel this shifter and tell me it makes SRAM feel like there is sand in the Housing? No,it does not they said. Mind you,we had Both side by side in the stand. Anyway,I digress. I had my blinder’s on regarding Lance,I was wrong. I did my Homework,and Jm is Right,he was a very Powerful Bully. Now he has a Podcast that is doin well no? Only in America.
Avy

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I'd love to do it again this summer but my work schedule is conspiring against me. We'll see...
Okay, new plan! I like this Mid-August time frame. I fly to CO after working at Tour De France, work at Breck Epic, then fly back over with mine and my girlfriend's Gamblers. She flies* over from Maui to meet in Swizz. Profit.

*Yeah that's a lot of flying but the environment can take one more for the team. What am I supposed to do, stay in Colorado and ride the moondust at Sol Vista?