Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I saw a thing mentioned on PB's piece about the 2023 Scotland World Championships, there was an "indoor cycle" category. I hope it's not sponsored by Zwift or Peloton...
Peloton pretends they are not bikes nor the fitness industry but a startup so I'd be surprised they'd sponsor it. Then again their stock tanked so I doubt they are keen on sponsoring. Zwift probably makes more sense. Still. Why? If people want to compete in indoor cycling I can rent them my magnetic trainer I used in the past and then make them use my 53mm coil headphones to listen to some podcasts. I did try it once before physics reminded me why that's a bad idea.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I saw a thing mentioned on PB's piece about the 2023 Scotland World Championships, there was an "indoor cycle" category. I hope it's not sponsored by Zwift or Peloton...
Isn't this already a thing and on the Zwift platform?

And yes people are already e-doping.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
It's a position I'd never take since it's them basically creating a position jumping on the e-sports bandwagon but having no real idea if cycling can stick to e-sports so you will be out of a job in 5 years. Tbh a ton of companies randomly jump on idiotic bandwagons. I'd not be surprised if they have or had a blockchain/crypto position at UCI too.
they even talk about virtual olympics in that job description and uci approved trainers

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Woke up a 4 am for the Dogs,turn on the Telly,and there I am sleepy eye’d looking at the President of Dish Network(my CA’s cable provider)saying Disco and Dish cannot see eye to eye on a new Contract. Disco wants 1 Billion from Dish,Dish said No! So I have no,ABC,ESPN,National Geo and other’s.

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Considering half the world's population play video games. ESports is but a tiny niche ignored by most gamers. Me included.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Woke up a 4 am for the Dogs,turn on the Telly,and there I am sleepy eye’d looking at the President of Dish Network(my CA’s cable provider)saying Disco and Dish cannot see eye to eye on a new Contract. Disco wants 1 Billion from Dish,Dish said No! So I have no,ABC,ESPN,National Geo and other’s.

Avy
You can still probably get streaming. The only reasons to get cable in 2022 is to:
1. Help me keep my job
2. Watch live sports.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
You can still probably get streaming. The only reasons to get cable in 2022 is to:
1. Help me keep my job
2. Watch live sports.
Well I am glad it helps you norbar.

I put the post up to show how Greedy Disco is. They want you to Stream or Pay Me! I don’t know what I am going todo next DH season? I have said here I will pay whatever it takes to see my DH. I dont know,I’ll make the call when the time comes. It is a cluster fuck right now.

Avy

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Well I am glad it helps you norbar.

I put the post up to show how Greedy Disco is. They want you to Stream or Pay Me! I don’t know what I am going todo next DH season? I have said here I will pay whatever it takes to see my DH. I dont know,I’ll make the call when the time comes. It is a cluster fuck right now.

Avy
I don't think siding with one company over a different company is not really an option here. Maybe disco is greedy, maybe dish is cheap. Probably both. Hard to know without being part of the negotiations. Not really defending disco. It's just cable providers have rarely been saints.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

Avy
oh noes

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Naaah. They are merging 2 companies and trimming the fat. I'm surprised there are layoffs at disco since Zas was always pretty bullish on not spending money chasing trends but who knows. Generally the industry now has a ton of layoffs because everyone was chasing netflix's unsustainable, dumb model of "lets spend infinite money because the stock market rewards subscriber numbers instead of positive cash flow (screw anyone talking about ebitda)". This meant everyone had too much cash and spent it on stupid unsustanable things. Now they are getting rid of those things since startup cosplay season has ended.

Not that I am here to defend Disco but they are fine here. If they are going to lose UCI rights it won't be for this reason and since it's already paid for I doubt we will see the chance for Redbull to reclaim the feed for at least a few years (I do really hope it's not as long as some deals with Disco I know of)

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Not that I am here to defend Disco but they are fine here. If they are going to lose UCI rights it won't be for this reason and since it's already paid for I doubt we will see the chance for Redbull to reclaim the feed for at least a few years (I do really hope it's not as long as some deals with Disco I know of)
What are the odds that Discovery winds up just deciding that it's not worth actually making the investment to broadcast the races? Would purchasing the rights actually obligate them to do anything? I know absolutely nothing about broadcast rights, but I worry about the situation in a large company where leadership changes or someone no longer thinks that it's worth pursuing based on the likely ROI and they either do an absolutely minimal job or just sit on the rights and don't bother actually airing anything.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What are the odds that Discovery winds up just deciding that it's not worth actually making the investment to broadcast the races? Would purchasing the rights actually obligate them to do anything? I know absolutely nothing about broadcast rights, but I worry about the situation in a large company where leadership changes or someone no longer thinks that it's worth pursuing based on the likely ROI and they either do an absolutely minimal job or just sit on the rights and don't bother actually airing anything.
One camera at the finish line linked to a Starlink network upload.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i for one am of the mindset that they were after XCO, DH was just a BOGO as far as the UCI was concerned (spoiler: they weren't)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
isn't this what happened with Rocky Roads, when Red Bull took over? Rocky Roads couldn't deliver (no surprise to anyone), so Red Bull were awarded the rights (probably for a song).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The chances are near zero. I don't know much about the details of sports rights, never acquired anything sports related but I don't get the idea as to why disco would not follow it. The leadership didn't change at Discovery. It's constant. It won't change for a while. Also given the cost of the rights the actual production costs are relatively small for downhill (just some cameras and some cables. Waaaaay cheaper than filming TDF) and you can probably hire some outside company to produce it anyway. Other costs are non existant. They have platforms to show it. Not to mention everyone is going gaga for sports rights right now. Hell Cricket in India alone is worth 3 billion USD for a few years (or a year) and while India is a big country that's for 2 months in a country where people pay 2-3 USD per month. Very few sports rights deals end up in the red (everyone laughed at Endeavor buying UFC for billions and they won big on that).

I have no idea why is everyone thinking that Discovery will sudenly collapse (they are making good strategic decisions. Those are not panic cuts) or that the deal will somehow fall back into redbull. Not that it's impossible but we have ZERO info that make me think that it is probable.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i for one am of the mindset that they were after XCO, DH was just a BOGO as far as the UCI was concerned (spoiler: they weren't)
You are probably correct even though I think it's dumb. I assume this deal was led by eurosport people and XCO and Road are close so the people who won big on road wanted it's special cusin too but it's dumb because DH is just a better show. If you market it right it can easily be much bigger than XCO. DH has clear rules, it's easy to watch and it looks good plus it's unpredictable and it creates great stories. The problem is sports TV people usually don't understand storytelling. Rarely you get a case where they do and in those cases you get boom times like UFC after that dumb reality show they had (not that I'm saying DH will be as big as MMA)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
One camera at the finish line linked to a Starlink network upload.
Please no. Starlink has fuckton of problems plus it's a garbage idea. The number of satelites they need in orbit and how slowly they fall from it creates a possible kessler problem. Maybe let's not make our orbit unusable because some weird rich dude wants his satelite internet have low latency for gaming so he goes for low orbit and thousands of satelites instead of high orbit and tens of them.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
please do explain how low orbit satellites contribute to a kessler problem
SpaceX's Starlink program raises concern among many experts about significantly worsening the possibility of Kessler Syndrome due to the large number of satellites the program aims to place in LEO, as the program's goal will more than double the satellites currently in LEO.[34] In response to these concerns, SpaceX said that a large part of Starlink satellites are launched at a lower altitude of 550 km to achieve lower latency (versus 1,150 kilometers as originally planned), and failed satellites or debris are thus expected to deorbit within five years even without propulsion, due to atmospheric drag. [35]
Wikipedia

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Please no. Starlink has fuckton of problems plus it's a garbage idea. The number of satelites they need in orbit and how slowly they fall from it creates a possible kessler problem. Maybe let's not make our orbit unusable because some weird rich dude wants his satelite internet have low latency for gaming so he goes for low orbit and thousands of satelites instead of high orbit and tens of them.
The main problem Starlink has unraveled is how every other gazillionaire out there wants his own constellation of satellites in low orbit. Amazon/Bezos will start shoveling their Kuiper ones up there at the end of the year, China wants to have an alternative for obvious reasons, and some other European companies plan to overcrowd LEO too.

I have a friend who is an astronomer, and he tells me astrophotography is already fucked up just from the existing 2000+ Starlink satellites. And it's only getting worse.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
cheap internet for everyone > the same photo of the stars reproduced by some space nerd
Where have I heard this before.....??? Ah yes: Cheap mass transportation for everyone -> ICE cars, cheap flights,.... That did not go wrong at all, did it. ;)
But glad that you support cheap internet for everyone, at least for how long it lasts. When the Kessler syndrome hits, bye bye cheap satellite-based internet, weather forecasts, GPS, Earth observation, etc. But at least we had cheap internet. :disgust1:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
cheap internet for everyone > the same photo of the stars reproduced by some space nerd
The problem isn't bad space photos but us being possibly unable to leave the planet or have any new satelite beause douchebros are chasing trends and going for LEO satelites instead of HEO satelites. With HEO you get worse latency but you need orders of magnitude fewer satelites.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The problem is the satelites don't deorbit in 5 years. We also currently have 4550 satelites orbiting earth. Starlink plans 42 000 satelites in total. So with Starlink we go TEN TIMES our previous number of satelites.

Also Starlink business model is not sustainable so the company will go bankcrupt or will raise prices. So what cheap internet?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The problem isn't bad space photos but us being possibly unable to leave the planet or have any new satelite beause douchebros are chasing trends and going for LEO satelites instead of HEO satelites. With HEO you get worse latency but you need orders of magnitude fewer satelites.
Future for the orbit looks more and more as in Wall-E, except we are still to find out who's going to be Buy N' Large...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Future for the orbit looks more and more as in Wall-E, except we are still to find out who's going to be Buy N' Large...

It's beyond me US can't regulate musks duchebaggery literally in any field from FCC violations to destroying LEO.