Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. I dunno about that here. Never had a new car, never will. All l see is tons of twats driving brand new Rangies badly. Leccy cars and hybrid electric are becoming pretty common on our roads though. And obviously they're fairly new.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
At least here, most EVs cannot be leased because demand is so high that they rather sell them. I was looking into that to minimize my risk as I usually do not buy 1. generation anything.
what‘s a 1. generation anyways if you have a producer like tesla who does constant iterations in hardware and software?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
That's called making the buyers the beta testers.
Well with self driving they made all of us beta testers and that's a bigger issue. It is beyond me the unwilligness of governments to go after musks bullshit because people think he's a miracle boy and not just a guy who buys a ton of companies and 2 of them worked.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
your ignorance based on false reports is more than showing
Nah fam. You just went from "Starlink is a good product" which it is to "Everything Musk does is golden, not only the products are amazing but everything he does is a great business as he is a master businessman and he is perfect".

Be reasonable. You got overinvested in this talk because you have mistaken me criticizing Starlink as a business with starlink as a product and now you decided to go all in on fanboism. You are way to smart to get blinded like this. If you want to call me ignorant offer specific counters to what I said.

If you are saying 30 bilion per year is easily achievable tell me how. Tell me how many people in developed countries have no access to high speed internet. Tell me exactly how new SpaceX rockets will lower costs and by how much. Tell me how cheaper the satelites will be. As for self driving tell me how calling something self driving and adding a big asterix of "please dont treat it as self driving" is not deceptive marketing. Since for now you are the one being ignorant here. At least watch the (probably outdated in 2022)vid about starlink and adress it's criticism.

Seriously I get liking Musk products. Teslas are still one of the better electric cars and for people in some parts of the world with some specific needs they are great cars. True full of terrible design choices (touchscreen over buttons) and the full automated factory was a fiasco plus they had some built quality issues but if I was living for example in suburban Norway or Bavaria I'd probably want a Tesla (well probably a Lucid If I could afford one).

As for starlink - I get it. If you live in rural eastern Germany or some other weird areas where you are both rich and with money it's a great product. I Still don't see it being sustainable as it's hard to find milions of people willing to pay that cost.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Nah fam. You just went from "Starlink is a good product" which it is to "Everything Musk does is golden, not only the products are amazing but everything he does is a great business as he is a master businessman and he is perfect".

Be reasonable. You got overinvested in this talk because you have mistaken me criticizing Starlink as a business with starlink as a product and now you decided to go all in on fanboism. You are way to smart to get blinded like this. If you want to call me ignorant offer specific counters to what I said.

If you are saying 30 bilion per year is easily achievable tell me how. Tell me how many people in developed countries have no access to high speed internet. Tell me exactly how new SpaceX rockets will lower costs and by how much. Tell me how cheaper the satelites will be. As for self driving tell me how calling something self driving and adding a big asterix of "please dont treat it as self driving" is not deceptive marketing. Since for now you are the one being ignorant here. At least watch the (probably outdated in 2022)vid about starlink and adress it's criticism.

Seriously I get liking Musk products. Teslas are still one of the better electric cars and for people in some parts of the world with some specific needs they are great cars. True full of terrible design choices (touchscreen over buttons) and the full automated factory was a fiasco plus they had some built quality issues but if I was living for example in suburban Norway or Bavaria I'd probably want a Tesla (well probably a Lucid If I could afford one).

As for starlink - I get it. If you live in rural eastern Germany or some other weird areas where you are both rich and with money it's a great product. I Still don't see it being sustainable as it's hard to find milions of people willing to pay that cost.
why do you think the profit will only come from developed countries? how many people live in africa? how many could share one dish there? what about the new airline version? what about the maritime one?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I don't know if it really fits in here but I found no other active thread that fits.
Didi Mateschitz died two days ago at the age of 78 and with him the future of all Red Bull media is quite uncertain. Over here everybody is speculating what will come of it. Mateschitz owned 49%, the Yoovidhya family 49% and the eldest son of the Red Full "inventor" (Chaleo Yoovidhya) Chalerm Yoovidhya 2% of the company. Red Bull and Mateschitz were always were tight on any internals. Mateschitz held all the trademark rights. We shall see, what the Thai family's actions and the contracts will bring.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
why do you think the profit will only come from developed countries? how many people live in africa? how many could share one dish there? what about the new airline version? what about the maritime one?
Then do the calculations instead of going "how about this and that". As for Africa - erm dude. The main customer for it is in developed countries because of the price. Sure you will get customers from africa but you are making the common startup mistake of going "our total potential customerbase is 7 billion".

So please. Numbers. If I'm wrong tell me. Since for now the total satelite internet market is valued at 3.4 bilion and it is forecasted to go to 6.4bil in 2026. Starlink Ceo said and I kid you not their potential revenue is 1 TRILLION.

Also please see the video I attached. Using Dragon 9 the cost of getting ONE starlink satelite is 250-500k. So if they are planning to go with 42000k satelites it's a cost of 38-64 bilion dollars. Satelites have a 5 year life. So every 5 years you have to spend 38-64 bilion USD. Ok the prices go down. So lets say 20 bilion every 5 years. That's just the satelite costs. 4 bilion per year in cost at full scale. How is it doable without huge subsidies?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't know if it really fits in here but I found no other active thread that fits.
Didi Mateschitz died two days ago at the age of 78 and with him the future of all Red Bull media is quite uncertain. Over here everybody is speculating what will come of it. Mateschitz owned 49%, the Yoovidhya family 49% and the eldest son of the Red Full "inventor" (Chaleo Yoovidhya) Chalerm Yoovidhya 2% of the company. Red Bull and Mateschitz were always were tight on any internals. Mateschitz held all the trademark rights. We shall see, what the Thai family's actions and the contracts will bring.
I'd assume the will not change anything soon given how well it works

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I'd assume the will not change anything soon given how well it works
Not so sure, the whole Media House thing is not making profits. Especially the local one in German. But as said before, all kind of speculations in the media over here atm.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Not so sure, the whole Media House thing is not making profits. Especially the local one in German. But as said before, all kind of speculations in the media over here atm.
Well they had some dumb moves like that Cinemater company that produced some bad films but I always assumed RB Media house worked as a big marketing stunt. So yeah some smaller changes might make sense. Hell I'd be eager to work with that as I'm sure a lot can be improved there but if they are smart I assume they will change details not axe whole big departments (except for Cinemater if that still exists)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
still in switzerland. how many times do i need to tell you that?

also, its called berghain. right at the border of kreuzberg and friedrichshain
You told me that twice. This is the 2nd time. I am just baiting you. All with love Sethi. Also yes I made a typo. I know how to spell Berghein.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Tbh his policy is the only bouncer policy I can agree with. As in let people in who make other people in feel safe and good. Not that Berhein is my vibe but I can respect the attitude.

Still I hope no bad blood between us. No matter what we think about the bilionaire boy cosplaying as an autistic person because famous smart people also autistic.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Does anyone else here regularly go to the cinema to see movies?
I don't think I know a single other over 30 other than myself and gf who do.
Seems like pretty much everyone else here watches never ending tv series' at home. So not surprising the film industry is in trouble.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Does anyone else here regularly go to the cinema to see movies?
I don't think I know a single other over 30 other than myself and gf who do.
Seems like pretty much everyone else here watches never ending tv series' at home. So not surprising the film industry is in trouble.
I go but the film industry is in a weird spot. You had 2 years of the rona and 2023 while cinemas were open you had MUCH fewer movies. Fewer movies = people go to cinema less frequently. Individual movies did well financially but cinemas are doing bad because there aren't enough films. Honestly we will have to see if the industry pumps up the volume. Imho they should if even trash like Black Adam does well commercially.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. Rona fucked a lot of things. Eg. Local pub culture is also gone from many small villages like mine.
But times have also changed.
I'm definitely majorly in a minority here in not watching long series dramas of any form or subscribing to any TV streaming services.
Cinema here is a reasonably good value night out but if you're comparing it to spending 10hrs a week in front on Netflix etc.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Going to the movies blows around here. Depending on what seat/theatre you go to, you're looking at anywhere from $15 to $23 for one ticket.

We don't watch much actual TV, so also don't even know what movies are playing...do they even still make good ones? :busted:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I brought my boys (9 &11) to the multi-plexes to see the most recent Marvel movies this summer (Dr Strange and Thor), and Top Gun. They didn't seem overly impressed with the cinema experience. Which really surprises me since we have a tiny TV by modern standards (32") and no real speaker system of speak of. They're not begging me to go back. I wonder if part of it is they don't know what's coming down the pipe since we don't have "live" TV, and they're not allowed to watch YT on their own (and when they do, I pay for YT premium, so it's ad-free).

I'd like to go see movies with the missuses again, but our local independant cinema went bankrupt during 'rona, was bought out, and they aren't playing as many interesting movies anymore... lots of old classics, but no modern indie flicks.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I no longer have that problem. :mad:
I was a weekly goer for many years.
It did taper off a bit in later years, but was still at least one a month.
Post last car accident and concussion - Nope.

I can no longer handle any type of dramatic tension, suspense etc - feels like a mini panic attack. I really don't like full grown panic attacks, so am not overly fond of their immature progeny. So I am now relegated to documentaries, how-to's etc. The last fillm I saw in a theatre was Led Zeppelins final concert film "Celebration Day" and according to wiki that was in 2012. So in other words, I rarely watch any form of commercial moving pictures outside of some bike stuff online.

Even though most movies are a hard pass, it would be nice to be able to attend the odd one of interest.

Enjoy while you can.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I really enjoy having some beers before watching a movie at the cinema and having some beers afterwards with some buddies or have a nice dinner out with my wife and go to cinema afterwards.