Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Does anyone else here regularly go to the cinema to see movies?
I don't think I know a single other over 30 other than myself and gf who do.
Seems like pretty much everyone else here watches never ending tv series' at home. So not surprising the film industry is in trouble.
Oh yeah! Well I do have an 8 year old. She loves it. We have a theatre/cinema that has reserved seating, fancy electric reclining chairs, all that jazz and do real food and beverages as well. it's actually a really cool experience. IF they are showing a movie you want to see (not always for an 8 y/o) :)

But if it's just the wife and I? Yeah, we just kinda chill at home w/ Netflix. Unless it's really good and we have a "date night" to take advantage of. We saw the new Top Gun movie there. It was alright.

Anyone got a good horror movie or series to recommend? Tis the season :)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I really enjoy having some beers before watching a movie at the cinema and having some beers afterwards with some buddies or have a nice dinner out with my wife and go to cinema afterwards.
All the new blockbusters are like 6 hours long I swear. Some of our cinemas sell beer, which brings me to my next point - all movies over two hours need a compulsory intermission so I can go piss without missing some critical plot point.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
All the new blockbusters are like 6 hours long I swear. Some of our cinemas sell beer, which brings me to my next point - all movies over two hours need a compulsory intermission so I can go piss without missing some critical plot point.
Isn't that what the big gulp cup is for?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Anyone got a good horror movie or series to recommend? Tis the season :)
I've heard good things about Barbarian which should be on Disney+ or HBO. Del Toros Cabinet of curiosities has a good 1st ep but I didn't see the rest.

If you are open to older stuff (but not 1970s) go with Hereditary, Night House, The Ritual, Speak no Evil, Ready or Not.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Liam Hemsworth is replacing Henry Cavill as The Witcher in The Witcher. You heard it here, first, in the UCI / Discovery channel internet mountain bike thread about the Discovery Sports' takeover of broadcasting rights for UCI World Cup mountain biking.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Liam Hemsworth is replacing Henry Cavill as The Witcher in The Witcher. You heard it here, first, in the UCI / Discovery channel internet mountain bike thread about the Discovery Sports' takeover of broadcasting rights for UCI World Cup mountain biking.
The TV show sucked and turned great books into "insert generic fantasy here". Fat witchers, characters who were 300 year old witches controling kings behaving like menstrual teenagers. I get diverting from the book but the show was so uninspired and it was a waste of Cavill who really cared. This is the problem of Netflix. They either don't do development or don't do enough of it (mostly don't do it at all). So their hit ratio is that of a blind sniper that doesn't know he was given a wooden gun

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I dunno. I don't mind that the series strayed from the books, kind of like how Jack Moir left downhill for enduro and his riding had to adapt the new medium. Like The Witcher, his first season was good, but the second was just ok. And now, like Henry Cavill, he is leaving and someone new will be on the team.

If you haven't started it, I recommend The Peripheral, which is a fantastic book by William Gibson, but right out of the gate the series is getting away from the source material, but the idea of the Jackpot destroying most life on earth but technology saving the rich and powerful, just like ebikes are doing now.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I dunno. I don't mind that the series strayed from the books, kind of like how Jack Moir left downhill for enduro and his riding had to adapt the new medium. Like The Witcher, his first season was good, but the second was just ok. And now, like Henry Cavill, he is leaving and someone new will be on the team.

If you haven't started it, I recommend The Peripheral, which is a fantastic book by William Gibson, but right out of the gate the series is getting away from the source material, but the idea of the Jackpot destroying most life on earth but technology saving the rich and powerful, just like ebikes are doing now.
Naah the problem wasn't that they strayed from the books. The problem is they strayed and offered a generic alternative. They didn't understand the main reason to make the Witcher series. It's like with cooking. If you are doing a twist on a classic recipe but you know the recipe and understand what makes the dish good - you have a chance for success. if you have no clue why people like the dish and will just make a generic dish - it will probably be bad. Same here. The showrunners clearly didn't understand why people liked the books. They went "Dunno I guess white hair guy with Sword and some magic ladies". So that's what we got. Sure it's not the worst show but it's just so lazy and unoriginal. If only netflix stopped going for volume and actually hired competent people for their development team so they work with showrunners to create good stuff (then again when they announced the inexperiened showrunners I was already afraid)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Naah the problem wasn't that they strayed from the books. The problem is they strayed and offered a generic alternative. They didn't understand the main reason to make the Witcher series. It's like with cooking. If you are doing a twist on a classic recipe but you know the recipe and understand what makes the dish good - you have a chance for success. if you have no clue why people like the dish and will just make a generic dish - it will probably be bad. Same here. The showrunners clearly didn't understand why people liked the books. They went "Dunno I guess white hair guy with Sword and some magic ladies". So that's what we got. Sure it's not the worst show but it's just so lazy and unoriginal. If only netflix stopped going for volume and actually hired competent people for their development team so they work with showrunners to create good stuff (then again when they announced the inexperiened showrunners I was already afraid)
they go with generic to appease the widest audience, because shareholders.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
they go with generic to appease the widest audience, because shareholders.
Sorry but thats plain untrue. Generic doesnt mean appealing to the widest audience. The show needs discernable qualities so viewers dont discard it as "like the other thing". You need to give viewers a reason to watch. If what you said was true all the post Harry Potter thinkgs like Eragon and generic sci fi films would be blockbusters. They were not.

Also did you read my previoust posts? Netflix is not hands on. They are not big on development. So they would not push the writers to write a generic show. As for shareholders - you need marketable shows to get new subscribers. Generic won't give you that. To reduce churn you need comfortable, rewatchable shows. Here you can be less original but you still need something more than "this show is like the other shows" becasue in that case why would the viewwers chose your show vs competitors show?

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

So apparently Disco has asked Wyn to be the new announcer for their mtb broadcasts... any of you guys listen to the Making up the Numbers podcast? apparently he talks about it in there.

I think he'd be a good sidekick in the job, but I find his diction (irrespective of accent) is a little mumbled... Not sure he'd be ideal for the job. But maybe that's something you can work on?

Also, he doesn't seem washed up yet when it comes to competition. Seems like he still has more to give. Maybe it's too soon for him?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

So apparently Disco has asked Wyn to be the new announcer for their mtb broadcasts... any of you guys listen to the Making up the Numbers podcast? apparently he talks about it in there.

I think he'd be a good sidekick in the job, but I find his diction (irrespective of accent) is a little mumbled... Not sure he'd be ideal for the job. But maybe that's something you can work on?

Also, he doesn't seem washed up yet when it comes to competition. Seems like he still has more to give. Maybe it's too soon for him?

Hmm, I thought his value to the team was probably mostly through exposure. But even if he is still competative he may want to look towards future opportunities. Announcing is probably a better gig than being a team manager if he wants to stay involved.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Wyn's going to need to learn how to maintain eye contact for that gig.

I'd prefer Warner, but at least Wyn is a mountain bike racer, and he has some personality..

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wyn's going to need to learn how to maintain eye contact for that gig.

I'd prefer Warner, but at least Wyn is a mountain bike racer, and he has some personality..

There are a few videos of him heckling riders on the track and if his commentary was like that it would be the best thing ever.

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
The article is just a recap of what Wyn says on the MUTN pod, but in French.

He's not getting the announcer job. May do some on track interviews a laWyn TV. Also expanding the Privateer awards to give the winners the full factory treatment in the GT pits for a race.

I still don't believe Discovery will have their merde together for this season. Wyn TV and LSD will be bringing the WC coverage.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Anyone find details for how the point structure is going to work?

Wonder what the rider's club thinks of this? Seems like the risk for injury is probably going to increase.

Side note. Wouldn't the riders be more effectively represented if they nutted up and had a lawyer of some sorts representing them? Doesn't seem to me that a bunch of racers banding together really has any teeth.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Anyone find details for how the point structure is going to work?

Wonder what the rider's club thinks of this? Seems like the risk for injury is probably going to increase.

Side note. Wouldn't the riders be more effectively represented if they nutted up and had a lawyer of some sorts representing them? Doesn't seem to me that a bunch of racers banding together really has any teeth.
Yeah more injuries is the first thing I thought of when I read this. What is the point?