Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so if you are top 30 in semi finals, but there are protected riders outside the top 30, will that result in the non-protected riders getting bumped?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
per vital:

Protected riders: the top-10 men and top-5 women from the previous year's overall standings are protected with regards to the semi-finals throughout the entire season. Among them, the top-5 men and top-3 are also protected for the finals throughout the season. In addition, up to 20 men and 10 women from the current World Cup standings are protected for each semi-final (included those with full season protection). This means that there are only 40 "open" semi-final spots for the men and 5 for the women to fight for among the non-protected riders.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
View attachment 186359

sorry privateer, although you qualified for the semis, some corpo rider got your tv spot so we gonna show him instead of you…
Hmmm...good point. I think we all know why the new rule is being applied.

I'm trying to remember. How does Skiing do it? It's been a while. I thought they sent the fastest dudes first. Then somehow the rest of the field? And I assume it's due to TV broadcasting. Or was that just TV editing?

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
looks like the points system will discourage that: winner of the semi gets 200 points, while the final is worth 250 points

which will be... interesting. effectively double headers every race weekend, as no one is going to ease off the gas with that many points at stake.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This is bike racing. Racing between point A to point B. Why are the rules so damn obscure?

Do they just try to type as much as possible, on the hope that no one thoroughly reads it or fully comprehends what they're doing? Do they even comprehend themselves?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So, only the top 30 (men) and top 20 for the women will get points from the finals. I'm not so sure this favours team riders entirely. A solid privateer who can regularly make the semis and sometimes the finals should be able to get screen time and enough points so get noticed shouldn't they?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Curious, but is this just changing of language and rebranding to position things differently for storytelling purposes and to attempt to connect with a broader audience? Kind of feels that way.

Timed Training = Qualification w/marginal possible points
Qualification = Semi Finals
Finals = Finals

Upon reviewing these new rules, it doesn't seem like it should really effect or impact the top racers all that much as the protection status doesn't make qualifications all that important.

It would seem that it's the unprotected riders that will carry more risk as now there N+1 make or break opportunities to get to the final dance.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
is this just changing of language and rebranding to position things differently for storytelling purposes and to attempt to connect with a broader audience?
Definitely

Have they made any alterations to the entry requirements or number of riders entering a WC?

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
not quite just semantics. semis worth more points-wise now, no? also, funny the first thing many thought was more injuries. me too. will be an interesting year.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what i was saying is, aren't the things outside of the finals worth more points now than before?
depends, but generally no. first place qualis + first place semis is 250 points, same as first for finals. every other combo is less, but not by much

edit: there's more points total to be had pre finals, but it is also an extra bracket of the race. but not much more on a per rider basis. I get your point that it will be interesting to see what it does to the overall

Last edited:

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Anyone find details for how the point structure is going to work?

Wonder what the rider's club thinks of this? Seems like the risk for injury is probably going to increase.

Side note. Wouldn't the riders be more effectively represented if they nutted up and had a lawyer of some sorts representing them? Doesn't seem to me that a bunch of racers banding together really has any teeth.
Doesn’t sound like the riders union was involved or brought on board to discuss the changes. Cam Balanche replying on Pinkbike.
04F71F60-3815-4E69-BE03-8F5772036A57.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not saying what they're doing is wrong or to stop, but if their union or group of riders is having no influence or is not even recognized, perhaps a re-think is in order? Maybe they need more "industry" folks to help push forward or a lawyer?

I doubt Discovery cares or even knows who the riders really are. They're just another dataset for consumption on their platforms.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Do many established successful male racers even really care all that much about a "union"?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Do many established successful male racers even really care all that much about a "union"?
Nah, don't think so. It was started by some nobodies including these two unknown kids, I think they are called Loic and Finn. Maybe one day we will hear more of them, they have a promising future ahead of them people say. :D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Correct me if I'm wrong here but I always got the impression no one even wanted to be UCI riders rep for the WC. With Minnaar more put forward for the position by the riders (who didn't want to do it themselves) rather than actively applying for the position himself.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
started. yeah.

and my. Look how it has progressed
I've kind of bit my tongue as to my opinion about this whole 'rider's union' as to not sound like the prototypical negative forum dweller, but if the riders want greater representation and significant changes, then podcasts and interviews with one another asking questions, challenging ideas, and sounding like the argumentative college kid at the dinner table when visiting their 'just don't get it parents' during the holidays isn't going to accomplish jack...

Hopefully this is a teachable/learnable moment for the pro union group. I'm as much a fan of Neko as everyone else, but having him represent the riders is childish unless he wants to moonlight and earn a sports law degree on top of all his other extra endeavors...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They will just make the courses buffed out park runs for rider safety. Motorways all the way, will also make camera placement easier.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I've kind of bit my tongue as to my opinion about this whole 'rider's union' as to not sound like the prototypical negative forum dweller, but if the riders want greater representation and significant changes, then podcasts and interviews with one another asking questions, challenging ideas, and sounding like the argumentative college kid at the dinner table when visiting their 'just don't get it parents' during the holidays isn't going to accomplish jack...

Hopefully this is a teachable/learnable moment for the pro union group. I'm as much a fan of Neko as everyone else, but having him represent the riders is childish unless he wants to moonlight and earn a sports law degree on top of all his other extra endeavors...
Emilie Siegenthaler is the other union rep and together they might pull it off. I guess the major issue here is that the riders do not have the same opinion on the topic. If they all would refuse to participate, then well, what should UCI and Disco do?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I wasn't.

I was simply pointing out not a lot of progress has been made since the idea of a "union" was raised back in 2020.

Has anyone even collected signatures?

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
this is really stupid, it's just going to dilute the excitement of the finals. wtf is happening?

Corporate America makes everything better.

Considering Discovery's history I am assume that doping will now be encouraged. Roids and HGH will help with the increase in injuries.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I want to be a dink about this, but there are some positives. More ads? Yup. More exposure for more sponsors and privateers? Also yup.

But, of course, the positives are outweighed by the already stated downsides, and by the lack of communication by the decision makers.

I remember the NORBA two-run format. God that was stupid.