Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So an agreed working day based on hours worked and time spent at the workplace? Probably including traveling and time away from home taken into account.
I honestly don't see the Camera crew's working day's start and finish time changing all that much if at all.
I mean I bounced this from my GF who works on sets and yeah costs go up. Sure travel and stuff is taken away but you a 1.5-2x increase probably puts people into O/T. It's not just camera people too, live events are not just 4-6 guys with a camera. You need quite a few people making sure everything runs smoothly. You still pay for idle time on sets.

I am sure it's scales so the costs don't go up 1:1 with extra time since not everyone on set is paid hourly but it's still extra cost.

One thing that hit me here is everyone in streaming is shifting towards ads. Longer stream = more ads. So the the extra cost could probably be easily offset by ads. So if this was SVOD where they simply want to keep people subscribed and it doesn't matter how long they watch as long as they don't churn out it would make no sense but with ads? Yeah it's logical.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
None of us have any idea what the new race schedule is even going to be never mind forecasting increases in production/work time for ANY workers involved in the event.
And y'know what? It doesn't actually matter (to us)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
None of us have any idea what the new race schedule is even going to be never mind forecasting increases in production/work time for ANY workers involved in the event.
And y'know what? It doesn't actually matter (to us)
Well RM is 99% speculation and killing time anyway. Especially in the off season. The hills have snow here. All I can do is rejoice my back is healed and that I can go back to training. Also I like to speculate about my own industry a bit more. Since my industry is often dumber than AI and cryptobros.

Though I asked a few more people and yeah if the event is longer costs go up and not by a little. So I assume either they want to offset it by ads or they simply already had a bigger budget planned for this before they checked how it was done in the past. And since it's budgeted they have to spend it or they will get their budget cut. So we may benefit just because of corporate budget bs.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
[Rumour] "shorter tracks" might be a solution to coverage and time constraints.
I know you love a rumour

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
[Rumour] "shorter tracks" might be a solution to coverage and time constraints.
I know you love a rumour
Naah I love to speculate but rumors are worthless. You still need to base it on something. We know next years calendar. Those tracks are not shorter

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
BAAAAHHHHH WAAAAAHHHhhhhaaaahahahahahahahahhahahaha

U 4 AKCHUL REALZ ???

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Nice article with comments from Patrice Afflatet (Scott DH Factory Team manager) about the registration fees doubling for 2023.

Hopefully your browser will translate it for you if needed.

In short: the uci asks for more money with slightly less in return, without motivation for the increase and without any discussion beforehand with the riders/teams. The teams have commonly decided to not register until they get some answers from the uci.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That exact track has actually been run at a BDS due to weather. And an NPS pre-gondola bike access.
Hasn't the UCI rules on how long (length and time) a Worldcup run has to be? I thought that was the reason some places were not eligible (anymore)?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
ft bill will be only the woods part and the motorway, haven’t you heard?
Nope I have not. Still other ones are not getting shorter. No info about shorter tracks. Just Gary pulling some theory out of his ass and then getting mad no one thinks his ideas are worth discussing.

Generally we have nothing to suggest the tracks may be shorter. They may as well all be but I'm not going to plot trends from a single data point

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Hasn't the UCI rules on how long (length and time) a Worldcup run has to be? I thought that was the reason some places were not eligible (anymore)?
The rules can have an exception. At least they did when Canberra was shorter. I remember reading the UCI rulebook then and there was a clear asterix there. RM was quite angry at that track since it didn't fit the reqs but exceptions were allowed back then.

Still if we weren't all lazy AF we could probably check the latest rulebook

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hasn't the UCI rules on how long (length and time) a Worldcup run has to be?
Yeah. I was just sharing Scottish DH knowledge/history. And unsuccessfuly baiting Seth into slagging me for being the unbearably patriarchal Scot.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
That goes to the UCI though, no?

I will renew my plea for a Red Bull Run alternate race series with coke and hookers.
Hey,what’s goin on here? Is it good Coke? Don’t bring that Wack Shit for Avy. We start the day with putting it in our favorite tall cup of coffee/tea.

Dam Avy,this coffee is wonderful!

Avy

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
This is what the UCI wants - to split the fanbase! Everyone hug, please.

Let's talk about how PFP changes boyfriends more frequently than I change my sheets, and how those new relationships sure do seem to line up well with her professional interests at the time.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I don't know how they are going to pull this off better than Redbull.

I pay to watch moto/supercross, which is in the states, and I'm like "i'm paying to watch commercials?!"

No way there's that much demand to pay for DH racing. At least here in the states. Which is Discovery channel. Just saying. Now if it were a hunting show. Or ski/snowboard racing/slopestyle event. But DH racing? I won't be setting the bar. At all. I'm assuming for dissapoint.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

I pay to watch moto/supercross, which is in the states, and I'm like "i'm paying to watch commercials?!"

No way there's that much demand to pay for DH racing. At least here in the states. Which is Discovery channel. Just saying. Now if it were a hunting show. Or ski/snowboard racing/slopestyle event. But DH racing? I won't be setting the bar. At all. I'm assuming for dissapoint.
I agree 100%. Hell,if they don’t give us more information, I might not get Discovery? I am a Die Hard Fan,but this is Tragic for DH Racing IMHO. All this Nickle and Diming of TV/Apps has to Stop for me. Streaming is the Future it seems,I don’t have to like it though.

I can’t even imagine not watching the Season?

Avy

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Let's talk about how PFP changes boyfriends more frequently than I change my sheets, and how those new relationships sure do seem to line up well with her professional interests at the time.
You are changing your sheets only every 6 years? Gross! :disgust1:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
PFP's motto as well.
OK, maybe her rainbow jersey count in the past few years still exceeds her number of beaus. I'm just jealous.

My post was a bit mean-sprited, she's an amazing athlete and a huge talent.

On topic: The biggest offense here, and one that the UCI commits as their modus operandi, is not including any of the principals - riders, teams - in the discussion. Take the changes, or leave them!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

They don't give a shit about the fanbase. They want to monetize the spot but they are also shit at doing so. It's incompetent greed.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

The idea isn't that you pay to watch DH specifically. Current content industry thinking is creating libraries that keep you subscribed so you don't pay just for DH but you subscribe because you will get DH + 5 other sports + some weird cooking shows for the wife (yeah I know gender stereotypes are bad but in large enough groups they still hold truth) and some cartoons for the kids. That philosophy is badly executed though and many companies look at bad metrics (there is no one good metric like box office for cinemas though) like minutes spent so there is a risk bikes will get buried/dropped too.

It's hard to predict what companies will do because it's hard to predict stupidity. While there are competent execs at many companies (and I really think disco head is competent) that doesn't mean everyone in the structures is competent. I've seen so many bad decisions in the industry I'd not be surprised by anything. It's good the riders are unionizing now because there is some real potential for some real dumb decisions here. Still I am trying to stay optimistic. Maybe the extra budget will have positive effects with us getting more cameras and us seeing "full runs" as promised.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Same thing as half of England having the full SKY satellite subscription because the man of the house wanted premiership football and had to sell the "value" of Movies, kids and other shows to get the Mrs to agree.
It's a shite road to go down. No wonder most of them are divorced now.