Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Same thing as half of England having the full SKY satellite subscription because the man of the house wanted premiership football and had to sell the "value" of Movies, kids and other shows to get the Mrs to agree.
It's a shite road to go down. No wonder most of them are divorced now.
If people divorce because their wife won't let them buy a soccer package on cable then I see it as a good thing since that relationship never worked in the first place. Then again it is true for most relationships anywhere.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
time to fire up the ol' VPN machine? though it's still a bit too early to tell what's going to happen up here in America's hat.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Torrents are still a thing?

Surely TV/film Streaming sites?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Yes though some big ones died and some of the closed really good ones got raided too but for fiding some really rare stuff torrents are often your only way. I found stuff on Torrents even the directors of the movies could not find (seriously).

Weirdly torrents run by weirdos really into a specific thing are amazing at preserving stuff since they get really mad if people don't seed every thing that ever existed.

Though I think this should be online in other countries not on the disco+ list. Tbh it would be easier if they launched the rumored combined disco+warner thing. That also reminds me I need to apply for a positon there.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

still and strong…

a seedbox is way cheaper than all those different subscriptions you need today just because some greedy lizards couldn’t agree on a spotify/apple music model. plus, you don’t even need to download them anymore to your home computer, just stream directly from the seedbox via plex

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
still and strong…

a seedbox is way cheaper than all those different subscriptions you need today just because some greedy lizards couldn’t agree on a spotify/apple music model. plus, you don’t even need to download them anymore to your home computer, just stream directly from the seedbox via plex

The spotify apple model is not sustainable and fucks artists. Plus production costs for films and TV are a bit higher than for music since you know... thousands of people work on a large hollywood film.

Generally expect to pay the same for streaming as you did for cable. Hell probably more if streaming eats into cinema profits and replaces part of it. It is a bit funny that people think you can have the same amount of stuff produced for less money. I mean granted Quibi tried doing that by going around guild/union rules since short films have different, weaker rules but generally nothing's free and making TV and Films will never be cheap.

The only reason why you had cheap subscriptions pre 2020 is Netflix was basically getting uber cheap debt and cheap licences but when you kill TV you can't get those no more. I get it would be great if we got everything cheaper but it's also honestly a miracle good movies happen at all given how many competent people from different areas you need to get to work together on a short term project.

Not that I will be mad about piracy. The MPAA and all the other anti piracy people are leeches on the industry and they do shit for the artists.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Yup.
My wife has me download a show on occasion.
Apparently she is not interested in paying for a whole network when she watches one show that has under a dozen episodes a calendar year.
and people like me, who want shows for their children in a language not offered in their place of residence. though I have yet to figure out how to do it, I would like more and better quality french-language shows than what I can get here.
still and strong…

this is very informative. will look into it. thanks!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
and people like me, who want shows for their children in a language not offered in their place of residence. though I have yet to figure out how to do it, I would like more and better quality french-language shows than what I can get here.
Try Stremio, it automates the download or streaming. I usually look for the shows in something like rarbg first.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
people like me, who want shows for their children in a language not offered in their place of residence. though I have yet to figure out how to do it, I would like more and better quality french-language shows than what I can get here.
If pre-school age kids. Try Caillou.
My youngest is French (bilingual) and loved Caillou.
Tons of episodes on YouTube.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i already pay for gbit fiber. i don’t really care.
Tbh I pay for one reason. The industry really makes it's choices on your viewing habbits. So my viewing affects whats gets made. If I didn't view shit legally I'd not get to complain about "bad stuff gets made"

Still outside of that torrenting can get uber useful as some people mentioned above. Hell. Where else would I find a movie where Jeremy Renner plays a Neo Nazi who falls in love with Gabrielle Union, an black woman who claims to be Hitler.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If pre-school age kids. Try Caillou.
My youngest is French (bilingual) and loved Caillou.
Tons of episodes on YouTube.
my boys are 10 and 12 now, so out of Caillou's target demographic. Fun fact, Caillou is actually Canadian, from Montreal (I think). Originally written by a parent for their child undergoing chemo to cheer them up. parent of the century right there...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Mine's 13 now so well out if Caillou's demographic too
Yeah. I know it's a Canadian show. But as the English HATE the French getting actual French TV here back when she was wee was a little challenging. We have Gailic TV but no one speaks Gaelic other than folk in the middle of nowhere, accademics and folk who work for Gaelic TV
She only speaks French when in France staying with relatives now. So although bilingual since birth her french is sometimes a little rusty and vocabulary isn't anywhere near as large as her cousins of the same age in France.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Lots of stuff in Netflix is dubbed in multiple languages. Go into the Language setting when on the show and you can flip it.

Our two kiddos are full French bilingual (French school here in N.Van) and I switch some shows into French for them. Mind you the 5yr old hates it and throws a fit, the 7yr old likes it.

When I find good mtb videos of the top France DH guys on Youtube I have to ask the 7yr old to translate for me what they said. hahaha.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
When I find good mtb videos of the top France DH guys on Youtube I have to ask the 7yr old to translate for me what they said. hahaha.
I guess the translation can be interesting sometimes.

These french guys have quite a special dialect. I can understand them (being french canadian myself), but most of their bike-related expressions have not crossed the ocean (yet?).

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

These french guys have quite a special dialect. I can understand them (being french canadian myself), but most of their bike-related expressions has not crossed the ocean (yet?).
They are pretty funny though.

There are so many French dialects around here and the Patois is also strong. One chairlift away (over the border) and you are in another dialect but then again Quebecois is also a completely different thing. That’s also why it is all so cool! Swiss French is very different too.

It seems like all these valleys evolved separately and had very little contact way back when. The building materials too. Some valleys are all wood and others are stone.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009

These french guys have quite a special dialect. I can understand them (being french canadian myself), but most of their bike-related expressions have not crossed the ocean (yet?).
Oh yeah it's funny when we try and figure out the stuff the kids don't know.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Downtime interview with Ball.
That didn't fill me with confidence one bit.... Super vague.

Also lols at the reassuring "don't worry we got the team responsible for putting 60 second fireroad climb sprints into EWS stages making sure the DH tracks are up to scratch" :rolleyes:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It looks like our household is already good for viewing races as we already subscribe to GCN+.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
if you have a nice penis there are few better ways to legally show it off in public.

Ok. maybe wearing your kilt on a super windy day beats a slither of lycra

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Someone want to give some accompanying narrative for that, so I don't have to hunt on Vital?

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
in conversation re: commentators, chris basically said (or insinuated, anyways) that rob wasn't available due to existing contract obligation w/ RB. which i assumed was the case, but apparently not? le shrug

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
in conversation re: commentators, chris basically said (or insinuated, anyways) that rob wasn't available due to existing contract obligation w/ RB. which i assumed was the case, but apparently not? le shrug
So is it a case of him not wanting Warner or just him being badly informed and not checking? Still kinda dumb on Warner to burn that bridge.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

just fits into the bigger picture
So basically if you don't have enough points, you need to have a trust fund or some other means of collecting that money to travel to other continents to collect points?