Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
haven't seen this posted on any of our regular mtb sites, but it seems Lourdes will host a DH world cup 'test event' April 22-23 so that Warner/Discovery/ESO can all learn to work together...

source (en français...)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'll be keen to hear how it went. Maybe if we're lucky there'll even be a re-broadcast... you know, to test the public's reaction to the product?!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
GCN+ now have the upcoming MTB races they'll be airing listed.

View attachment 191537
Where can I find that internationally? Since this is Disco, should it be under HBO Max?

EDIT: Installed the GCN+ app in the TV, the race listing (at least here) is rather stupid. Only Nove Mesto and Lenzerheide listed under MTB.

Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
the word (I assume) you find vulgar is often used as a term of enderement in my country.
I was using it to refer to the collective "we" ie. the consumer/viewer.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I don't have GCN+ subscription but was going to get one before the first DH WC if that is the simplest way to view them. Whats their coverage normally like? I've never used it before.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No idea. Cycle road racing coverage is generally available free elsewhere. just like mtb once was. RIP :cray:
just looked at the GCN+ subscription page and what they offer just now seems a shite deal for the money.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
do you guys have a subscription to GCN+ already?
Yes, have had it for a couple of years at least for their cycling documentaries and the road racing coverage.
I don't have GCN+ subscription but was going to get one before the first DH WC if that is the simplest way to view them. Whats their coverage normally like? I've never used it before.
Their streamed road and CX racing coverage also airs on TV on the Eurosport channel in Yurp, so it's of a high quality. Their MTB racing broadcast coverage quality is an unknown at this point as they haven't had MTB before.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yes, have had it for a couple of years at least for their cycling documentaries and the road racing coverage.

Their streamed road and CX racing coverage also airs on TV on the Eurosport channel in Yurp, so it's of a high quality. Their MTB racing broadcast coverage quality is an unknown at this point as they haven't had MTB before.
Didn't Eurosport used to carry XC in some countries not that long ago? I have a vague recollection of that. Also what about World Champs?

Do we know the presenters for now?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Full coverage video from EDR Maydena up now. They did a pretty decent job of it I reckon. Especially a video of that length so soon after the event.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Gracia commentator. Interesting. He's been doing the French broadcast for the past little while if I'm not mistaken? So he knows the ropes... Not a complete failure I guess... time will tell. But Rob and Eliott will certainly be missed.

Also interesting that the semi-finals will be free and the finals behind a paywall. I guess that gives us the opportunity to "try before you buy"?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Gracia commentator. Interesting. He's been doing the French broadcast for the past little while if I'm not mistaken? So he knows the ropes... Not a complete failure I guess... time will tell. But Rob and Eliott will certainly be missed.

Also interesting that the semi-finals will be free and the finals behind a paywall. I guess that gives us the opportunity to "try before you buy"?
Didn't he pop in a few times for redbull feeds? One thing that makes me worried is the other commenter not being from the MTB space. I am worried we will get Eurosport level commentary

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Gracia has been commentating races in French during the past years. I never listened but French dudes on another forum aren't spoiled with enthusiasm about his performance... let's see how it goes

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Gracia has been commentating races in French during the past years. I never listened but French dudes on another forum aren't spoiled with enthusiasm about his performance... let's see how it goes
I've seen similar comments. I think he is better as a guest than as someone who needs to carry the stream. You need someone who likes to talk a lot (potential RM hire? )

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
at least they didn't hire mountain biking's version of Will-Ferrell-channeling-Harry-Caray, Claudio Caluori

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The "new" coverage of the XCC today was fine, Evie didn't get the win in the womens, but Pidcock got it done in the mens \o/

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Was it watchable free? (or replay)
I used to enjoy watching the odd WC XC race. But wouldn't ever stay in especially to watch one or pay for the pleasure.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Was it watchable free? (or replay)
I used to enjoy watching the odd WC XC race. But wouldn't ever stay in especially to watch one or pay for the pleasure.
We'd already had GCN+ for a couple of years. Watched the full replays Friday night, not sure if there were any highlights on YT from other sources.