Quantcast

UCI Elite Mountain Bike Teams for 2011

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast

Description: The International Cycling Union (UCI) has today announced the 15 cross-country teams and the 15 “gravity” teams that will receive the label “UCI Elite Mountain Bike Team” for the 2011 season.

UCI Elite Mountain Bike Teams will benefit from numerous advantages: notably free entry at all the UCI MTB World Cup events and all races on the UCI Mountain Bike International Calendar. In return, the teams will be obliged to enter at least one rider in all rounds of the 2011 MTB World Cup and to display the UCI Elite Mountain Bike Team logo on their race outfits and team vehicles.

This new system should stimulate competition between the teams wishing to achieve the status of “UCI Elite Mountain Bike Team”.

Invitations to join the new higher tier of UCI registered mountain bike teams were issued to the best teams of a UCI ranking established on 27th September by adding up the UCI points of the best riders within each team. The teams then had until 10th December to confirm their interest.

All the cross-country teams contacted accepted this new statute. For the gravity (downhill and four-cross), one team refused the statute; the invitation was then issued to the 16th ranked team.

The final list of UCI Elite Mountain Bike Teams for 2011 in the ranking order is:

Endurance:
• Specialized Factory Racing Team (USA)
• Scott-Swisspower MTB Racing Team (SUI)
• Subaru-Trek (USA)
• Multivan Merida Biking Team (GER)
• Orbea Racing Team (ESP)
• Trek World Racing (ESP)
• Team Colnago (ITA)
• Luna Pro Team (USA)
• Central Pro Team (GER)
• Cannondale Factory Racing (GER)
• Topeak Ergon Racing Team (GER)
• BH SR Suntour (FRA)
• Rabobank-Giant Offroad Team (NED)
• Rubena – Birell – Specialized Cycling Team (CZE)
• Felt Oetztal X-Bionic Team (GER)

Gravity:
• Scott 11 (SUI)
• Commencal (GBR)
• Yeti Cycles Races Team (USA)
• Suspension Center (SUI)
• RSP 4 Cross Racing Team (AUT)
• Santa Cruz Syndicate (USA)
• Team Maxxis-Rocky Mountain (USA)
• Trek World Racing (ESP)
• Chain Reaction Cycles / Nuke Proof (GBR)
• MS Evil Racing (AUT)
• Commencal Superiders (FRA)
• Alpine Commencal (AUT)
• Lapierre International (FRA)
• Monster Energy – Specialized – Mad Catz (USA)
• Norco World Team (GBR).

UCI Communication Services Press Release Here

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Only the top 15 teams in 2010 UCI points were invited. One team refused so the 16th placed team stepped in.

This will cost Plattekill Bike Park between $500 -$?000 in entry fees in 2011. But should bring even more World Cup regulars to the UCI Race in May. Stoked, can't wait.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Because the Elite teams do not have to pay entry fee's or pit fee's saving a them 1k or more.

The Plattekill UCI Gravity Race will also be sandwiched in between two national/international East Coast Races:thumb:
Ahhhh. For some reason I thought that only applied to World Cups. Hopefully the UCI will be covering their tab for the promoter's sake.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
errr....What happened to the 'Super Team' with the big sponsor.....?...:phone:

Since I am never one to beat around the bush or hide sh1t...
We were in talks with a very large company that was going to make their entry into the MTB market (make a MTB specific product). They had heard through the grapevine that we were the 'goto' company to legitimize a brand who was known for something else other than MTB line/product. Things were progressing nicely, really promising, money details worked out and as the weeks went by, they decided to focus their energy and money into making a better launch product for a later date (2012-2013) and maybe get involved with some events before they do a race team. I stay vague on the brand because we are still talking to them, but as for my super team of racing, freeriding and clinic tour in 2011...that dream died a month ago.

So we will carry on with other plans, like working with the suspension center team and others to be announced soon.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Since I am never one to beat around the bush or hide sh1t...
We were in talks with a very large company that was going to make their entry into the MTB market (make a MTB specific product). They had heard through the grapevine that we were the 'goto' company to legitimize a brand who was known for something else other than MTB line/product. Things were progressing nicely, really promising, money details worked out and as the weeks went by, they decided to focus their energy and money into making a better launch product for a later date (2012-2013) and maybe get involved with some events before they do a race team. I stay vague on the brand because we are still talking to them, but as for my super team of racing, freeriding and clinic tour in 2011...that dream died a month ago.

So we will carry on with other plans, like working with the suspension center team and others to be announced soon.
Thanks for update. Was expecting to see a team of Matti, Ragot, Rennie and couple youngsters....but ohh well.......

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
The 4th team in the Gravity list is the new Intense team.
haha funny cause i actually typed out asking if the suspension center team is the "new intense team", but I just figured it was the same team from last year that ran intense, not the new super team(which is not happening from what stiks mentioned).