Quantcast

UCI rule

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
indieboy said:
you ever raced cross?

Not cyclecross, One of the things that put me off was the disk rule. Every bike I have is disk, except my Roubaix comp road bike. I don't do off-road without disk. I mostly race marathon and 24 hour events. If they change the rule I might consider it, but I'm not buying a new bike bike just to try it.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Reactor said:
Not cyclecross, One of the things that put me off was the disk rule. Every bike I have is disk, except my Roubaix comp road bike. I don't do off-road without disk. I mostly race marathon and 24 hour events. If they change the rule I might consider it, but I'm not buying a new bike bike just to try it.
Reread some posts. Unless you are racing in a UCI event, which you won't be, you can race with discs...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
straight from the horses ....

Rules Interpretations > Disk Brakes

Disk brakes are not allowed in UCI events other than mountain bike events. While last year this was an interpretation of the UCI given that disk brakes had never been approved for any races, this year it has been clearly written into the UCI rules that disk brakes are not allowed.

Thus, if you are riding cyclocross, you may use disk brakes only if the race is USCF only. For any event on the UCI calendar, if you are in the Elite Men, Elite Women, U23 Men, or Junior Men, and these races were put on the calendar, then you cannot use disk brakes. If the organizer has also included masters events or events for category 3 riders, or juniors below 17 years old, then disk brakes will be allowed.

Of course it could all change next year.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
uscf doesn't push uci rules unless the event is under uci regulation. THUS allowing you to race your local events, unless they are under uci stanchion, with a disc brake equiped bike.
also meaning that unless you have a uci license, which i highly doubt that you do, then you don't have anything to worry about. and if you're that worried about it, i'm sure you've got friends who are willing to loan you a bike to atleast try it out.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
indieboy said:
uscf doesn't push uci rules unless the event is under uci regulation. THUS allowing you to race your local events, unless they are under uci stanchion, with a disc brake equiped bike.
also meaning that unless you have a uci license, which i highly doubt that you do, then you don't have anything to worry about. and if you're that worried about it, i'm sure you've got friends who are willing to loan you a bike to atleast try it out.
I'll have to check, most roadie-esque (including 'cross) races out here are under UCI. I haven't felt it necessary to get a UCi card yet, but I'll probably do it soon because I'm starting to do more roadie stuff. The thought of another road crash scares me.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I was the bike in a bike Vs. car. In November I rode 109 mile Tour de Tucson, and saw a bunch of people go down, quite a few taken away in ambulances.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Reactor said:
I'll have to check, most roadie-esque (including 'cross) races out here are under UCI. I haven't felt it necessary to get a UCi card yet, but I'll probably do it soon because I'm starting to do more roadie stuff. The thought of another road crash scares me.

Unless you are planning on racing outside of the US, you will not need a UCI license.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
To talk about stupid rules a friend of mine tried wearing a ghetto jersey with a 24 hour team name on it for a cross race and they wouldn't let him race unless he wore a USCF registered team jersey. Stupid.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
cirKus said:
What???? That's ridiculous, where was the race, I bet the 24 hour team jersey was a lot cooler than any registard team.
It was just a local race, not sure if it was a UCI, USCF, NORBA, NORAD, POD, OPP or DOD sanctioned.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Reactor said:
what the hell do you need a uci license for? the only thing you would ever need that for is if you are either a Div III or above racer on the road, a pro mtn biker who plans on racing outside the US, or a pro cross racer. don't bother dropping the coin for that license if you don't really need it.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Westy said:
To talk about stupid rules a friend of mine tried wearing a ghetto jersey with a 24 hour team name on it for a cross race and they wouldn't let him race unless he wore a USCF registered team jersey. Stupid.
some dude showed up to a local cx race with a world champ jersey on. to be honest, i was bothered by that a bit. not upset, but enough to say something.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
indieboy said:
some dude showed up to a local cx race with a world champ jersey on. to be honest, i was bothered by that a bit. not upset, but enough to say something.
yea totally weird. especially when you have world champs present. Kind of disrespectful.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
there weren't any world champs present at this race. it was a local race, but still disrespectful in my eyes. i'd never wear those stripes unless i earned them.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
indieboy said:
there weren't any world champs present at this race. it was a local race, but still disrespectful in my eyes. i'd never wear those stripes unless i earned them.
yea but we have a few and i see it sometimes. also some people show up in Pro Team outfits. that is against the rules but not very often enforced.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
indieboy said:

Yeah i think that's a bads too, any jersey like that, national champ...hell i think even wearing a tour replica jersey is a no no. I've never really seen the jersey rule about a pro jersey enforced, i have seen the no sleeve rule enforced.