Quantcast

UCI trade team news

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
looks like the rumors were true... riffle to The Cut

where is Spooky's team? Mickey told me that he registered one? is this the complete list that you sent me or just an initial one? it is still not up on the UCI website from what i can see

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
looks like the rumors were true... riffle to The Cut

where is Spooky's team? Mickey told me that he registered one? is this the complete list that you sent me or just an initial one? it is still not up on the UCI website from what i can see
I have no idea where we are on that list. I just left Voicemail on the appropriate parties in CO and Swizterland's phones... I'm going to have a sack of mutilated puppies on my hands by the end of the day if I can't get to the bottom of things....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I don't think the list is complete yet as there is a Canadian team I was 99% sure was all registered who is not on it either. I think it is a case of the UCI putting stuff online before it is 100% ready to go?

The page is live but not linked at this time from what I can see.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
Yeah, didn't take a Ph.D. to figure that out for the UCI web page.

As for the bikes, unfortunately, I won't be seeing them before leaving for Europe in April.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Show of hands, who else thinks the UCI website is the most un-user friendly, slow loading, POS going.

As for teams being off the list, they are notorious for having the wrong info on their website. You can find results for the US National Championships and who got what number of points (though you have to go about it in a counterintuitive, ass-backwards way), but those riders have yet to appear on the actual rankings page.

UCI got $6.5 million to fight doping, how about some pocket change for a real website?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yeah, didn't take a Ph.D. to figure that out for the UCI web page.

As for the bikes, unfortunately, I won't be seeing them before leaving for Europe in April.
Damn, busy first week in Europe! Are you guys based out of Austria again this year? I head over a week after Sea Otter for Maribor. You staying over or heading back and forth?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Someone explain to a out of loop guy who last time was on circuit (4 yrs ago) the cool thing was to not be a UCI trade team. I think there was about 11 teams the last year I was around, now this list is endless, are there some new benefits to being a trade team? do you still have to pay an ungodly amount of money and get nothing in return?

Do tell...
Thanks

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Show of hands, who else thinks the UCI website is the most un-user friendly, slow loading, POS going.

As for teams being off the list, they are notorious for having the wrong info on their website. You can find results for the US National Championships and who got what number of points (though you have to go about it in a counterintuitive, ass-backwards way), but those riders have yet to appear on the actual rankings page.

UCI got $6.5 million to fight doping, how about some pocket change for a real website?
Unfortunately they'd be looking at some MAJOR pocket change for a database driven site of that magnitude. It's better than it used to be, but I think the servers are in Azerbaijan or something. That and their DB servers need about 16gb more ram, each.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Someone explain to a out of loop guy who last time was on circuit (4 yrs ago) the cool thing was to not be a UCI trade team. I think there was about 11 teams the last year I was around, now this list is endless, are there some new benefits to being a trade team? do you still have to pay an ungodly amount of money and get nothing in return?

Do tell...
Thanks
Lots of money, around $3000 in fees + national federation fees for an A class country (Canada, USA, UK etc).

Riders get to race in a World Cup no matter the points they have (minimum 20 now required, not 1). Top 25 men do not pay entry, minimum 10'x10' pit space is provided free etc.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

Do tell...
Thanks
You need 25 points to race a worldcup these days. There are barely any domestic races with UCI points, hence if you want American folks to be able to race Worldcups (which there are 2 of in North America this year) you need to pony up the 2400CHF and jump through hoops.

The team manager can also register the riders for worldcups directly instead of needing to go through USAC, and there is free pit space as well (tiny, but free). Plus, it's the only way to get staff credentials for acess to feed zones, etc.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

Do tell...
Thanks
Holy crap, have you been taking English lessons from PSP? :shocked:

(I think this is due to the minimum points rule on who can enter a WC race)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Holy crap, have you been taking English lessons from PSP? :shocked:
No, I just ramble on this forum. I just woke up from a hellishy (like that word?) long night as my kid has an ear infection and was up crying all night, I burned the eggs and bacon, I will try to pay more attention next time.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

Do tell...
Thanks
It's the only real way to get around the minimum 20 point rule they put in unannounced a few months prior to the '07 season.

The only perks are free pit space (pretty small, but better than nothing) and the ability for teams riders to register themselves online rather than going through their federation and hoping no one there screws it up.

it's a hefty fee for arguable small returns, but for n. american riders in particular it is really the only way to get to race a world cup if you weren't already in the top 30 prior to 2007. In other words, if you weren't on the circuit already, chances are you never could be. Juniors and other fast, young riders would essentially be shut out. prior to the '07 season our current world jr. champ was considered by the UCI to be unqualified to enter a world cup becasue he didn't have enough points. He, and quite a few other young guys, quickly proved otherwise.

On a positive note, it seems a lot more races in the US will be offering UCI points so things seem to be imporving.

Though they claim it was done to keep the muppets with rigid bikes from somehow gaining entry (and they still manage), I can't help but wonder if their other inention was to thus increase the number of trade teams and the $$ that comes with them. As you said, there used to be as few as 11. Even Martin Whitely and IMTTO thinks 20pts is too high.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Though they claim it was done to keep the muppets with rigid bikes from somehow gaining entry (and they still manage), I can't help but wonder if their other inention was to thus increase the number of trade teams and the $$ that comes with them. As you said, there used to be as few as 11. Even Martin Whitely and IMTTO thinks 20pts is too high.
That was exactly the idea as far as I can tell. I think there should still be a minimum of 3 points even for trade team members to be honest, as you get 3 points for just entering a WC now.

It has kept the number of muppets racing in europe down though it seems. 20 is insanely high, as the cost of entry for a junior gets near to impossible in canada or the US, with a small amount of races with points.

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
Does anyone know if these teams can still add riders to their rosters, if they still have room? Or is there a deadline?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
yea he got them at this roman circus deathmatch race thingy
haha.. awesome description (though that sounds more like what would have happened if Steve tangled with the cops)

victor, did you ever get your truck off of that mountain?