Quantcast

UCI/USA cycling hates cycling. ** Sanctioned Race Ruling**

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I was going to try and do all Non-USAC races this summer but unfortunately too many good races in my region are USAC. Looks like they'll be getting my money once again...

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
All the races I plan to do will all be sanctioned so its not so much of an issue to me but I was riding with a bunch of fast XC riders here in colorado today and they were saying there are a bunch of big non sanctioned races out here with good payouts. They all planned to not get USAC licenses this year. I wonder if they will see a large drop in license holders this season and if it will make them make a change?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
All the races I plan to do will all be sanctioned so its not so much of an issue to me but I was riding with a bunch of fast XC riders here in colorado today and they were saying there are a bunch of big non sanctioned races out here with good payouts. They all planned to not get USAC licenses this year. I wonder if they will see a large drop in license holders this season and if it will make them make a change?
hopeful, but i doubt it, because for every guy that says Fuk em, there is another who is buying a license so he wont get in trouble-i tend to think it will break even.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Quote from an awesome xc racer who can also ride the piss out of his bike;

Sho-Air/Cannondale's Jeremiah Bishop, current leader of the men's Pro XCT, former World Cup racer and endurance race lover, said, "Comment on USAC that THEY should stand up to the UCI on ruling all UCI riders will face bans and Fines for doing non USAC races. This is America! We invented the sport so there are a multitude of races organizations and groups that pre date the UCI and many reasons that this rule is not compatible with USA racing."
You can tell it was from an xc racer because the curse words are in spandex.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Where's the antitrust lawsuit?
What basis is there for an anti-trust suit?
The UCI isn't preventing the formation of other federations or preventing athletes from joining other federations.
It's just saying that, if you want to be a UCI licensed athlete, these are the rules you need to follow.

Lame and petty without question, but not a violation of anti-trust according to my RM e-law degree.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The UCI isn't preventing the formation of other federations or preventing athletes from joining other federations.
It's just saying that, if you want to be a UCI licensed athlete, these are the rules you need to follow.

Lame and petty without question, but not a violation of anti-trust according to my RM e-law degree.
When you consider it in the light of the ioc there are some questionable aspects, But those then really only apply to xc, not dh

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
As I'm finding out myself, the reason the Uci is represented by the Rainbow jersey is cause they're F-ing gay.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Is this even legally possible? Making rules about membership & participation that bar or punish membership in other races or organizations?

It sounds utterly ridiculous, but so many things do that are also, unfortunately, true.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco

But they ARE preventing other federations from forming. That's the whole point of what their actions. They are using their monopoly power to prevent pro riders from racing in races sanctioned by other bodies, or not sanctioned at all. That's an abuse of market power for sure.

Source: My e-law degree is from a more prestigious message board. :P

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Hi guys-

There is a really rad septegenarian from Stanford, CA named Les Earnest.
He invented spell check and instant messaging(in the '60s yo), and he's also been one of the key poop-flingers in the history of bike racing in the United States(like, he wrote/co authored bylaws for road, track, mtb racing, hardshell helmets, drug testing). He's been around. He's also one of the good guys.

He's one of the brains at the core of something called Project ROSA(Reform Olympic Sports Act) a scheme to change federal law so that organisations like USACycling can no long have monopoly control over competition in this country.

If you have ears and an attention span that will last longer than 10 minutes listen to this recent inteview(starts about 2 minutes in) that will give you a little bit more insight on how we got to a point in this country where we have such perplexing interwebbe threads about bikes.

This fight is far from over.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'd pay good money to see lance armstrong attempt the red bull rampage. just sayin'.

hell, if it were up to me i'd lift his lifetime ban under the condition he entered and competed every year its held.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
EPO?

Jeesh

I'd like to see that scrawny fvcktard hork down a fat line of blow and send it on ANY bike. Would be rad to see his heart explode mid-huckaroo. He might have to borrow a heart first.
let's give him a fighting chance. regular DH bike, couple lines of blow, and chug some whiskey. All after a night of partying with dirtmcgirk.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Adam Craig(and Jeremy Horgan Kobelski) have both publically stated that they aren't renewing their USAC racing licensees this year.
Between the two of them you have most of the XC-related US National Championship titles from the last decade.

Go check the link of the teams that are registered for the Enduro World Series.

You'll see that both Trek and Giant's US-based "Factory Racing" programs are fully inscribed. Those rosters have riders on them who used to be among the top XC racers in the US on them, some of them, like Carl Decker, even have a few USAC titles(and plenty of FORBIDDEN VICTORIES) under their belts.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Adam Craig(and Jeremy Horgan Kobelski) have both publically stated that they aren't renewing their USAC racing licensees this year.
Between the two of them you have most of the XC-related US National Championship titles from the last decade.

Go check the link of the teams that are registered for the Enduro World Series.

You'll see that both Trek and Giant's US-based "Factory Racing" programs are fully inscribed. Those rosters have riders on them who used to be among the top XC racers in the US on them, some of them, like Carl Decker, even have a few USAC titles(and plenty of FORBIDDEN VICTORIES) under their belts.
How many of the riders on that list are UCI license holders? All? Are any of them concerned about racing in a "forbidden race series"?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
At the risk of sounding ignorant, why all the hate towards USAC? Seems to me like USAC is your national governing body, and is having their hand forced by the UCI, no?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So I don't really race because its expensive and I can barely afford to go mountain biking as it is, plus its A) more fun to ride illegal trails and B) more fun to not wait in lift lines and just get to ride all the other trails nobody is on.

I do like watching WC races, and follow the racing scene pretty closely though. It seems to be like a big part of the complaints mountain bikers have for the UCI is that there isn't any support for mountain biking, and they don't promote any competition. It seems to me like people don't necessarily mind paying the fees, its the lack of promotion, attention to the events, and the ridiculous hurdles imposed. According to ridemonkey, it seems like the UCI is a pretty huge black scourge on mountain bike racing.

Given the way that road cycling seems to be pretty disgraced now days because of the whole "literally everybody was cheating and the UCI was ineffective" I can't imagine that too many sponsors are that pumped on the UCI - I know road bikes sell oodles more then mountain bikes, but I guess the question I have is - why aren't trek, specialized, felt, cervelo, etc all putting some pressure on the UCI to do whatever they tell it to, or they're going to jump ship? I get that mountain biking is the sideshow, but if the UCI is dropping the ball so hard on both the road and mountain side of things, why aren't companies jumping ship? habit?

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
So I don't really race because its expensive and I can barely afford to go mountain biking as it is, plus its A) more fun to ride illegal trails and B) more fun to not wait in lift lines and just get to ride all the other trails nobody is on.

I do like watching WC races, and follow the racing scene pretty closely though. It seems to be like a big part of the complaints mountain bikers have for the UCI is that there isn't any support for mountain biking, and they don't promote any competition. It seems to me like people don't necessarily mind paying the fees, its the lack of promotion, attention to the events, and the ridiculous hurdles imposed. According to ridemonkey, it seems like the UCI is a pretty huge black scourge on mountain bike racing.

Given the way that road cycling seems to be pretty disgraced now days because of the whole "literally everybody was cheating and the UCI was ineffective" I can't imagine that too many sponsors are that pumped on the UCI - I know road bikes sell oodles more then mountain bikes, but I guess the question I have is - why aren't trek, specialized, felt, cervelo, etc all putting some pressure on the UCI to do whatever they tell it to, or they're going to jump ship? I get that mountain biking is the sideshow, but if the UCI is dropping the ball so hard on both the road and mountain side of things, why aren't companies jumping ship? habit?
those company's made money hand over fist because of the racing. They sure as **** aint going to bite back.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
those company's made money hand over fist because of the racing. They sure as **** aint going to bite back.
And I'm sure they'd like to continue to do so. Just like nike made mad money off the NBA, and wants to continue to do so. I'm sure if the NBA started telling its major sponsors to go fyck themselves, they'd be pretty pissed off too.