Quantcast

UCI/USA cycling hates cycling. ** Sanctioned Race Ruling**

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Just got this letter from the UCI a few minutes ago.

Re: forbidden races
Dear President,
It has recently come to our attention that some National Federations are experiencing difficulties in the interpretation and application of the rules relating to "forbidden races", namely Articles 1.2.019,
1.2.020 and 1.2.021 of the UCI Regulations.
With this in mind, we would like to provide the following clarification which we hope you will find useful. Article 1.2.019 of the UCI Regulations states:
"No licence holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognised by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI.
A national federation may grant special exceptions for races or particular events run in its own country."
The objective of this regulation is to protect the hard work and resources you pour into the development of your events at national level. It allows for a federative structure, something which is inherent in organised sport and which is essential to being a part of the Olympic movement.
Of course the regulation also allows the UCI, in line with its mission as an international federation, to guarantee uniform regulation.
Article 1.2.019 applies to all licence holders, without exception. It does not solely concern professional riders or just the members of UCI teams, contrary to certain statements in the press and on some blogs.
The second paragraph of Article 1.2.019 affords each national federation the facility to grant a special exception for specific races or events taking place in its territory.
Special races or events are understood to be cycle events which are not registered on the national calendar of the country's federation or on the UCI international calendar. This generally concerns events that are occasional and which do not recur, most often organised by persons or entities who do
not belong to the world of organised sport. For example, an event may be organised by an association that does not have a link to the National Federation, such as a race specifically for members of the armed forces, fire fighters or students or perhaps as part of a national multisport event.
With the exception of these special cases, the National Federation is not permitted to grant an exemption to a cycle event which is held, deliberately or not, outside the federative movement. For example, in no case should an exception be granted to a cycling event that is organised by a person or entity who regularly organises cycling events.
The objective of Article 1.2.019 is that exemptions should only be granted in exceptional cases.
Licence holders who participate in a "forbidden race" make themselves liable not only to sanctions by their National Federation, as scheduled by Article 1.2.021 of the UCI regulations, but also run the risk of not having sufficient insurance cover in the event of an accident.
Thank you for your attention to this matter. Please accept our kindest regards,
Pat McQuaid
President
-KT

Last edited:

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
And USA cycling's response:

Dear USA Cycling member:
There has been a tremendous amount of discussion and misinformation recently in articles and forums regarding UCI rule 1.2.019, which prohibits all UCI licensed riders from competing in events that are not sanctioned by a national federation. USA Cycling received the following letter from the International Cycling Union (UCI) on March 26 to all national federations clarifying its expectations in the enforcement of rule 1.2.019. It also explains what the few possible exceptions to its rule are.
The UCI confirmed that Rule 1.2.019 and the related sanctions in 1.2.020 and 1.2.021 must apply to every UCI-recognized national federation in the world. Therefore, as a member of the International Federation, USA Cycling will comply with the direction from the UCI.
See the attached letter which was communicated to USA Cycling members today.
Clarification on affected riders:
The letter from the UCI confirms no UCI licensed rider, in any discipline, may participate in an event not sanctioned by a national federation recognized by the UCI (USA Cycling is the sole national federation in the United States). Originally, this was described as only affecting those UCI-licensed riders on UCI teams. The UCI has subsequently clarified that the rule extends to ALL UCI-licensed riders, even those not associated with a UCI team.
USA Cycling Working to Ease the Transition
USA Cycling understands the fact that this rule enforcement has a far-reaching impact on riders and race directors alike, particularly in the mountain bike discipline. To help manage the impact and assist riders and race directors with the transition, USA Cycling will work with non-sanctioned mountain bike events by providing the following for mountain bike events permitted with USA Cycling after April 1, 2013:
• For any mountain bike event that occurred in 2012, but did not sanction with USA Cycling in 2012, USA Cycling will waive the permit fee (2013 only). USA Cycling will also subsidize $1 of the $3 dollar per rider insurance surcharge. The per-rider insurance surcharge for mountain bike events that occurred in 2012 but were not permitted in 2012 will be $2 per rider (2013 only).
What a USA Cycling Event Permit Provides for Race Promoters:
• Low permit fees. A mountain bike race of less than 500 riders has a maximum permit fee of $100 a day. The only other fee USA Cycling collects is a per-rider insurance charge of $3 which covers one of the most robust insurance packages in cycling for the race director, the landowners, the sponsors, and excess accident medical coverage for participants. Comparable insurance coverage cost per rider is much more expensive.
• Racing infrastructure for a safe and level playing field including anti-doping, rules and trained officials. As the only USOC and UCI recognized cycling organization in the U.S., riders in USA Cycling events can be subject to the groundbreaking USA Cycling RaceClean™ anti-doping program to create a level playing field.
• Access to USA Cycling's online registration system that allows riders to register for events and sign electronic waivers on the USA Cycling website or by using the USA Cycling smartphone app.
• A $0.40 rebate to race directors for each registration when you use USA Cycling’s online registration system.
Why you Should Support USA Cycling Sanctioned Events:
• USA Cycling spends more than $4 million per year supporting American athlete in development and international competition programs. Much of that money is generated from the racing activities of our more than 74,000 members racing more than 600,000 racing days each year in sanctioned events. Every time you race in a sanctioned event, a small amount of revenue is generated to support critical athlete programs. Most importantly, virtually every dime USA Cycling generates as a result of your racing activities is reinvested in the sport. However, when you compete in an unsanctioned event, nothing goes to support these important programs that help to maintain our international success and create the heroes and role models that are so important to the sport.
• In 2012, USA Cycling spent more than $530,000 in support of mountain bike development programs, world championships and pre-Olympic camps to help riders achieve their dreams on the world's biggest stages.
• Professionally-licensed riders are the direct beneficiaries of USA Cycling's significant investment in athlete support. As such, they have a vested interest to support the sanctioned events that fuel that support.
• Insurance protection at sanctioned events is some of the best available and provides coverage not only for the race directors, but also for the volunteers and officials working the event, as well as the racers themselves. At unsanctioned events, there is no guarantee that the insurance provides adequate coverage to anyone other than the race owner. Most unsanctioned events will claim they have comparable overall insurance coverage for their event when compared to what USA Cycling’s insurance program provides, but our own research and analysis have shown that is just not the case.
• Sanctioned events provide a safe and level playing field by a consistent standard for athlete protection such as accident insurance, an enforceable code of conduct and USA Cycling's RaceClean™ anti-doping controls conducted by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency.
• Sanctioned events provide licensed participants with the opportunity to be part of the USA Cycling National Results and Ranking System that allows you to compare your results to everyone else in your age group by city, state, region or even nationally.
-KT

theBigHeezy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
Salt Lake $hitty, UT
So basically, no pro riders (not just trade teams) are allowed to race anything other than USA cycling races.

-KT
Yea I am not sure I understand this. First, is this an april fools joke?

Second, how is this enforced? For instance, if the old US Open were around or the current Canadian open at Crankworx, these are non-sanctioned races. Who is the UCI and USA Cycling to say we cant race that or they will charge a Fee. If its non-sanctioned how will they even know? Are they hiring people to scour the earth searching for unsanctioned mountain bike events and then charging USA Cycling members for being a part of it? Isnt this what communists and dictators do? where is the god damn democracy. This is Merica, no ****ing A in there, just good ole fat capitalist Merica.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
What I find funny about this is that this is a rule that only effects a few, but pisses off every single racer of all categories. And to be honest, the only racers who currently NEED the UCI/USA cycling are top pros who want to race at world cups or Jr. Ex kids who are trying to turn pro and race at world cups. Otherwise they are actually quite useless.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
have some rep, I agree wholeheartedly.
While this may directly affect a few UCI pros, it has far reaching implications in stifling independent non sanctioned events in several ways, they now wont be able to draw headline pros to bring visibility to their event, they may be forced to subject themselves to the bureaucracy and inefficiency of USAC who just want to reach into their pockets. Also they look like greedy empirical twats to masses of riders for not allowing the sport to grow and evolve organically.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
And to be honest, the only racers who currently NEED the UCI/USA cycling are top pros who want to race at world cups or Jr. Ex kids who are trying to turn pro and race at world cups.
It also includes any master that wants to compete at the Masters Worlds.

Hmmmmm . . . wonder how the ruling is going to affect pro participation at CrankWorx?

Last edited:

theBigHeezy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
Salt Lake $hitty, UT
It also includes any master that wants to compete at the Masters Worlds.

Hmmmmm . . . wonder how the ruling is going to affect pro participation at CrankWorx?
I think the fine or penalty is minor and honestly most of the headline athletes will have this penalty budgeted. But it goes back to moral, you piss everyone off even though the affect is minor. I am for instance a working class, race pro on the weekends as a hobby, have raced WC but probably wont be anymore just do to my job and moving on with life sort of speak. If I want to go race for fun, with a bunch of guys out there for the same reason, why should we be penalized for it. we already pay double for our annual licenses and we already pay on average 10-15 dollars more for each entry fee than lower classes. and again, why stir the masses.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So basically, no pro riders (not just trade teams) are allowed to race anything other than USA cycling races.

-KT
Man, what a racket. The really sick part of all of this is how incredibly transparent it all is.....

The gravity side of this sport needs to free itself of the UCI and USACycling. The main problem that I see with this proposal is that the IOC/UCI/National Federations have the ability of sanctioning other cycling disciplines as a means of leverage and market control. This is probably the biggest hurdle that needs addressing.

I've wondered a bit about the feasibility of creating a for-profit business model as a plausible counter measure to the current system. Something akin to how traditional sport franchising behaves, but at an international level. It would have to require a fairly lean and well thought out business plan/model in order to be sustainable. I'll preface that my thoughts are fairly preliminary and I haven't thought through all the traps, but my suspicion is that the biggest challenge in making something like this plausible is advertising revenue. Another huge trap that I see is the time aspect. It would need to be proven as profitable and sustainable at a local level before growing, however the US and it's size does lend itself to being a great beta test site.....

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
the thing is, this does affect the average Joe as UCI/Ntl Federations are trying to leverage the pro angle into forcing events to sanction, which means average Joe now has to buy an overpriced f-ing licence to a federation that doesn't really do anything to promote r enhance the sport and sucks the soul out of it more or less. It drives up costs for the regular folk and ends up stifling progression. It's a turf war and they're coming out firing.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I've wondered a bit about the feasibility of creating a for-profit business model as a plausible counter measure to the current system. Something akin to how traditional sport franchising behaves, but at an international level. It would have to require a fairly lean and well thought out business plan/model in order to be sustainable. I'll preface that my thoughts are fairly preliminary and I haven't thought through all the traps, but my suspicion is that the biggest challenge in making something like this plausible is advertising revenue. Another huge trap that I see is the time aspect. It would need to be proven as profitable and sustainable at a local level before growing, however the US and it's size does lend itself to being a great beta test site.....
You should check out what Chris Ball is doing with EMBA. Seems like it's working. According to this at least: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Opinion-The-Enduro-World-Series-DH1-and-Pissing-in-the-Drinking-.html

Steve Peat attend a grassroots race we organized as a fundraiser in England. It was an awesome event and everyone loved it. Would hate to see stuff like that disappear because of this silly rule.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
The bottom line for me is this:

I race my bike because it&#8217;s fun and I enjoy it. I&#8217;m not going to let a corrupt organization tell me I can&#8217;t enjoy my favorite activity. While I'm not winning wold cups, I will be racing in unsanctioned races this year.

-KT

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
In all the non usac races I race this year, I will now be known as "Ron."
Here is my jersey:

I like this idea. I think every racer needs a non-UCI race name.

HOW TO FIGURE OUT YOUR UNSANCTIONED RACER NAME(i may have stole this from somewhere):

First name = the name of your first pet
Last name= the street name you grew up on

I will from now on be racing as "Trigger Foothill".

Last edited:

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Am I understanding correctly that they want payment retroactively for independent races?

crooks.
I thought it meant they would give 2012 non sanctioned races a discount for 2013 if they went sanctioned. Kind of a way encourage everyone to join up.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
I have always kept an assumed name from my taxi driving days. Rich Olson

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
F the UCI/USAC. I'm doing an unsanctioned race today. They can shove 50 francs up their ass if they try to suspend me for a month. Yes, I'm a UCI international pro. The race is at Paul Turner's house so I'll mention this to him.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Quote from an awesome xc racer who can also ride the piss out of his bike;

Sho-Air/Cannondale's Jeremiah Bishop, current leader of the men's Pro XCT, former World Cup racer and endurance race lover, said, "Comment on USAC that THEY should stand up to the UCI on ruling all UCI riders will face bans and Fines for doing non USAC races. This is America! We invented the sport so there are a multitude of races organizations and groups that pre date the UCI and many reasons that this rule is not compatible with USA racing."