Quantcast

UCLA Student Repeatedly Tazered

lugnuts

Monkey
May 2, 2002
maine
How is that possible? You would all have to be in parallel, which it doesn't sound like that was the case. It sounds like you were standing in series, meaning that the voltage drop would be about 1/5 per person, meaning you only got hit with 1/5 of the voltage. The current stays the same in series, but the voltage is reduced. If you were in parallel, the voltage would have remained the same, but the current would have been reduced to about 1/5 (give or take depending on different body masses, etc.)
Not sure I follow the "being in parrallel" thing? But I'm no electrical whiz. I'm just some guy that got the sh*t zapped out of him a few times. I can tell you that using the highly scientific "distorted face" method, upon viewing extremely hilarious video playback of the aforementioned event, both my face and the face of someone being zapped alone were equally distorted in a painful grimace. This clearly indicates that the exact same voltage was used in both agonizingly funny situations.

I wish I still had that video, it was a good one.

And if you do find evidence that my info is incorrect, I thank you for the clarification. Now please notify the US Army that they trained the MP's at Abu Ghraib prison in 2004 incorrectly.

Actually. . . .the soldier that led my class was a bit of a tool . . . . you may be on to something here.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Ya gotta connect the wires to make a circuit! :bonk:
When you connect the wires so that they flow in a contiguous fashion, that is a serial connection. When they are arranged in such a fashion that multiple wires carry the current simultaneously that is a paralell connection.

OMGF really was right. 5 guys in a straight line is a serial connection. Each additional man adds additional resistance that must be overcome. So when voltage remains the same and resistance increases, the current applied to each man is reduced accordingly.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
When you connect the wires so that they flow in a contiguous fashion, that is a serial connection. When they are arranged in such a fashion that multiple wires carry the current simultaneously that is a paralell connection.
Or, to put it another way. When the path of the electricity must flow through one component to get to the next, that is series connection. In this case, the barbs were attached to two different people. The electricity flow had to travel through the first person to reach the second, then the third, etc. until it completed the circuit at the last person. That is a series connection.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
I think what she's getting at are the people that are jumping to the conclusion that this kid "got what he deserved." The police escalated this situation needlessly. There was no mandate for the use of force, but they saw fit to not only use it, but use it repeatedly, and then threaten others with it as well.
ok, I gotcha now, I was unsure of her stance on the use of force, but I got it now

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Suffice is to say, if MG, John E and Manimal had have been the 3 cops there then I have no doubt this situation would have been defused quite easily. Having the power and knowing when it's appropriate to use it is one of the things that makes a good cop imo. Most good cops would never have let that situation escalate to the point it did there.
thats basically the jist of this whole situation where
cops are not wrong, in general and most don't completely missuse there power

just ucla cops :biggrin:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Can we all have a group hug now? Or a drink?

:cheers:

Hey MG:
The Amnesty International article seemed to think that most police departments thought it was OK to use tasers to get subjects to comply with LEO orders. Are you disagreeing with that?

Reactor said that he thought it should be as an alternative to lethal force (the top step on your chart).

Which is it?

My police department (where I'm a non-sworn computer expert) will not allow you to use a taser unless it's in a situation where you would normally have to use a gun. It's classified (don't laugh) as a "less deadly weapon", i.e a half step below a gun. This is in line with taser international's recommendations.

Some less progressive departments, would allow you to use a taser in situations where you might have used something like pepper spray before. Some allow it to be used to pacify a suspect. I don't agree with either of these policies.