Quantcast

UCSC trails closed?

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
UCSC closed? I heard that a ranger found a lot of the freeride stuff up there on saturday and tore some of it down. I also heard that they will now be enforcing a $500 fine for people caught riding bikes up there.

-Ryan

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Where did you hear that. I hope not. It seems like they go through waves of enforcement. It's funny because people are always riding in there. Maybe that was just Magic Carpet. I know there is a "No Bikes" sign at the top.

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
Icantdrive65 said:
Where did you hear that. I hope not. It seems like they go through waves of enforcement. It's funny because people are always riding in there. Maybe that was just Magic Carpet. I know there is a "No Bikes" sign at the top.
the campers trail gap was torn down by a ranger and one of my buddies talked to him

-Ryan

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
Why do the rangers suddenly realize that there is a huge network of trails that hundreds of people ride every week and decide to crack down? They have been there for years and the rangers know about them. It's not a secret.

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
yeah, basically nobody should ride those trails ever again. leave them alone or a ranger will give you a $500 ticket, impound your bike and say bad words at you. the best thing to do is for everybody to ride Wilder Ranch. Man, that place is so much more fun than UC anyway. definitely nobody ever ride the UC trails again. :thumb:

markk

Chimp
Dec 15, 2004
Santa Cruz
Actually I heard mountainbikes are going out of style. Scooters are the new cool sport. All the cool kids are hitting up Pacific Ave on scooters bro. :drool:

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
The area does seem to be getting more popular lately. I was out there saturday w/ bikeninja and we ran into some pretty huge groups. Sucks that rangers are cracking down but maybe it will lessen the crowds for awhile.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
bikeninja said:
yeah, basically nobody should ride those trails ever again. leave them alone or a ranger will give you a $500 ticket, impound your bike and say bad words at you. the best thing to do is for everybody to ride Wilder Ranch. Man, that place is so much more fun than UC anyway. definitely nobody ever ride the UC trails again. :thumb:
This is true, The trails at UCSC suck, I wouldn't suggest riding there, its a big waste of time and effort. Come on... Why risk a $500 ticket to ride really boring trails, it would just make a bad afternoon worse. Wilder is definitely the place to go. Better yet everyone just needs to get road bikes.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
markk said:
Actually I heard mountainbikes are going out of style. Scooters are the new cool sport. All the cool kids are hitting up Pacific Ave on scooters bro. :drool:
Fo' Shore! scooters are the new dopest. AND They're cheaper then stupid-ass downhill bikes!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
They can probably impound a bike and make you pay the fine before you get it back or something. It's not like they could just keep it.

I'm assuming he means the trail exit by the upper campus entrance on Empire Grade (just past the arboretorenorianum or whatever :D ) but not sure.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
There's Trails behind the UC? And all this time I've been tearing it up, doing shuttle runs through college nine down through the science buildings to the music center then to the arboretum. Cuh-Razy.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
santacruzer87 said:
How is it in any way legal for them to confiscate a bike?

-Ryan

It's probably within their authority but you'd have to be a jerk or repeat offender to have them actually do it. Anyway, not enough info, don't assume it was confiscated - maybe someone got hurt and the ranger was helping out with the bike. Or maybe it was the ranger's bike. Some are on power trips and there's nothing you can do, but in my experience most rangers are pretty cool, easy to communicate with, and understand our love of getting outside. Hell most of 'em take low paying jobs or volunteer so they can spend more time in the woods, that's pretty cool.

Whoaohohohoh

Chimp
Feb 17, 2005
santa cruz
Total Heckler said:
On the way back from my ride today I saw a ranger truck at the exit of mailboxes with a bike in hte back of it...yikes.

If it was confiscated, it was probably because the biker was posing a threat to the Ohlone Tiger Beetle (Endangered Species) that lives in that area. But I would think the ranger would just give you a ticket, the guy had to be a real dick to the ranger..........

Anyway for the trails on the back side of UCSC....I am not too worried, but I will keep an eye out....

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
scurban said:
Fo' Shore! scooters are the new dopest. AND They're cheaper then stupid-ass downhill bikes!
Why ride bikes when you could rip on SCOOTZ. I heard those UCSC trails are totally lame, none of the cool kids ride them.

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
your weird sam, but the guy the ranger was talking to was the short guy that works at ABS, i havent been in there for awhile so im not sure if he still works there or not.

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
santacruzer87 said:
the campers trail gap was torn down by a ranger and one of my buddies talked to him

-Ryan
Ya I was talking to that same ranger probobly when your freind was too, my freind was just about to hit it again, and he comes up and is like "I didnt see you guys riding," because we werent riding yet, but the he says "you guys do know that the only legal trails here are the fire roads" then one of the other guys says why are they illegal and the ranger said that it was because the downhillers corrode the trail because of the heavy braking, so he responded by saying "in my experience the people who do the most damage are the XC riders" and so the ranger seemed to get angry, even though he said it very politely. Then he saw the trail gap cuz we were talking to him right under it, and right after we left we saw him tearing down max's road gap and then we warned a few riders because the ranger said if we were riding we would get a $350 fine and some other ****. Pretty lame if you ask me. Oh ya this was all last saturday....

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Yeah I was riding DC with a few friends last weekend and we were bitched at by the ranger and he tore down the gap over the trail. :mumble: I was the last one to hit it... *sigh* I think ill be limited to De La Veaga/wilder/aptos from now on. :dead: Damn pine pigs... :oink: :mad:

-Chris

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I was up there today, and talked to a couple of Minor's who got fat $300 tickets for riding down a trail on to hwy 9. I guess the Ranger is really cracking down!

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
IronJim said:
your weird sam, but the guy the ranger was talking to was the short guy that works at ABS, i havent been in there for awhile so im not sure if he still works there or not.
Yeah, that's Grahm (sp?). I talked to him on Sunday when he got a ticket for riding up there. I will be staying off those trails until it cools down.

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
$300 bucks is pretty steep, thats weak they dont give warnings to everyone. Looks like we should lay low for awhile on those trails, they seem to do this every now and then when the city needs some extra cash.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Jestere said:
Are these people getting tickets on the trails, or when they drop down into highway 9 with a ranger at the side of the road?

well, I talked to two different groups of riders today, one group got ticketed when they rode out onto hwy 9. The other guys I talked to said they rode a very well used trail, and then rode back up to the fire road. As they were riding out onto the fire road, they were stopped by a ranger, and ticketed. Its a pretty scary cituation. $300 is pretty steep. I think I'm going to lay low for a while.

Whoaohohohoh

Chimp
Feb 17, 2005
santa cruz
GiantRider said:
$300 bucks is pretty steep, thats weak they dont give warnings to everyone. Looks like we should lay low for awhile on those trails, they seem to do this every now and then when the city needs some extra cash.
The money actually goes to the State Park System, not the city of Santa Cruz.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Whoaohohohoh said:
The money actually goes to the State Park System, not the city of Santa Cruz.
well, with the amount of use we all get, I guess a ticket would be a worthwhile contribution for all of us.

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
stratguy1618 said:
"in my experience the people who do the most damage are the XC riders"
actually it's probably true. downhillers that know how to ride their bikes don't skid through all the corners and fu*k them up. :mad:

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
bikeninja said:
actually it's probably true. downhillers that know how to ride their bikes don't skid through all the corners and fu*k them up. :mad:
There are novices riding all kinds of bikes. I see plenty of ripped up trails on steep downhill runs as well as the milder trails. I'm just saying we are all in this together. There is no need to point fingers. I actually avoided UCSC today even though those are my favorite trails. That was a bummer.