Quantcast

UCSC/Vandal alert!

gobike

Chimp
Sep 4, 2004
Last Sunday afternoon a police vehicle was parked on the fireroad. We ran into some people doing trail work on the trail. Anyone know anything about the police presence and if they ticketed? It would have been better if the a-holes stayed in their car and patrolled highway 9, because when we got back to my truck, both my passenger side tires were slashed (We parked across from the highway 9 entrance to MC where people pick up for shuttling).

The pathetic thing is this day I was HIKING and not BIKING. I don't ride these trails on the weekend because of the weekend bike traffic at UCSC and the probability of eventually getting cited. Was my truck targeted because of the Fox sticker on the rear window and the Yakima rack w/ SC Bicycles sticker on it? Bastards... Be vigilant out there and if you do catch someone vandalizing a car, break their knee caps for me...

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Bad news about your tires. I'd report it to the sheriff or CHP as they both patrol Hwy 9. Sheriff has a substation in Felton.

Any number of reasons police could have been on upper campus. (You didn't mention which agency...) Could be they got a call about any number of things: trailbuilding, camping, lost or injured person, mountain lion sighting, harassment or assault, etc

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
HarryCallahan said:
Any number of reasons police could have been on upper campus. (You didn't mention which agency...) Could be they got a call about any number of things: trailbuilding, camping, lost or injured person, mountain lion sighting, harassment or assault, etc
i was shuttling that day and decided to pin it past the sheriff car at the top of MC. we never saw the 5-0 on the trail but we were goin full out race run sprint. I was told that it was because some dudes on 50's with shovels where out building and so that would be my guess as to why the cop car was blocking the trail head.

gobike

Chimp
Sep 4, 2004
Whatever, what are you gonna do, yaknow? For what it was worth, today I rode the very trails I hiked the other day, and had a F'ing blast!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The only time I've seen cops on the UC fireroad (in a patrol car!) they were looking for a dude on a dirtbike. I saw the dude in Wilder with his GF on the back and the cops were on UC looking for him. Fawking dirtbikes messing it up for us pedal powered peeps! I didn't sell out the dirtbike rider but I wouldn't have been bummed if he was caught...

The trails are nice, thanks to all who contribute!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I've worried about my truck getting broken into........Slashed Tires? That sucks. Sorry to hear about that. I have noticed a lot of students up at the gates lately, doing some sort of field work. Sometimes UCSC students can get a little over-zelous to prove a point. Case in point are the fast food chains down on Mission, I can't count how many times those have been vandalized! Sorry to hear about your misfortune! hopefully this is the last time it happens.... especially since I park up there all the time!

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I was out there on Thursday and ran into a group of guys who said they saw at least a few cars in the normal Henry Cowell parking lot on 9 with broken windows that morning. I hope whoever is responsible gets caught.

Speaking of seeing the authorities on the trail, the only time I've actually seen any vehicles out there was one time this summer. It was in the evening and I was riding up the fire road, and stopped to session the log ride at the top of lock-em-ups. Suddenly this fire truck comes up the fire road, and stops right there at the log ride. Then two mt. bikers get out of the front seat, their bikes in the back of the truck. At first I thought that somehow they had conviced the UCSC fire dept guys to give them a shuttle! :) As it turns out, there was actually a fire that someone had lit in a stump a couple hundred yards down the trail. The bikers had seen it and reported it, then came with the fire dept to show them exactly where it was.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
I parked down at Rincon this weekend and noticed broken safety glass on the ground. Sounds like someone is targeting cars down there on 9.

Saw the field crews up at twin gate the previous weekend; they were archeology students from Cabrillo.

Spoke to one of the UCSC students invovlved with the Taco Bell protests last year. Asked him what the cost of the pay raise for the tomato pickers they were asking for would be. Answer: half a cent per item with tomatoes.