Who should win UFC III?

• Wayne Goss

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Carlin Dunne

Votes: 40 78.4%

• Total voters
D

Dingus McGee

Gotta love a reverse cruiser rider, but Dunne has got the beer-bong vote. Hmmm, 20 years old, huh? I guess the drinking age is
younger there :rolleyes: these damn kids are cruh-aaaazee.
Where are the video awards going down at the Sea Otter (says Friday night on UFC site)

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally posted by Acadian
you meant "does" right?
No, what I meant was when I watch him riding I dont think "he could go somewhere", I think "he is there already".
The way he rides I dont think he would look out of place in most of the videos out there.

Does that make sense:confused:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Wow...glad these 2 made it. Definately the best 2 in the end. I don't know who to vote for. The bio section was easily won by Goss imo. His attitude matches mine perfectly (too bad I don't have an 1/8th of his skill).

I think skills match up. We have a guy who goes HUGE vs a guy on a ht who goes big with lots of flare. This is a great comp final. I will have to watch the vids 10 or 20 more times while at work before I decide :)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I am glad to see the majority of monkeys are voting for Carlin, as you know the Canadians have a strong presence and I would be willing to bet a lot bigger percentage of the votes will come from CAN. That is awesome but I hope the peeps from the US all vote also. Carlin is one of my very best friends and it is hard to plug him so shamelessly but at this point I just have to say it how I see it. I can't even tell you how much fun he is to ride with, He pushes me to try things I normally wouldn't. I have ridden with him so many times and I have only really seen him fall once and it was very graceful considering the circumstances. (gnarly rock wall ride to big drop to tranny into the street) He is such a talented rider and he really deserves the support! with that said... I liked both vids. Wayne seems like a really mellow kid who rides a lot and just plain loves it. Carlin is also a really mellow kid, who likes to have fun sometimes, rides a lot and loves pulling new big lines. Either one is worthy winner and it is cool to have a choice between two different riding styles in the final. Who ever gets second will surely get a deal and it could be with any co. out there pretty much of their choice just based on their skills alone. Yeah I voted for Carlin because he is my friend, but not only because of that, it is also because as much as I like BMX style tricks, I dream about being able to go huge and smooth off drops and fly down rocky DH trails. I have ridden tunnel trail (in Santa Barbara) with Carlin and he is sooo buttery smooth and pro fast I can't even comprehend it. I am not a slouch but he makes me look like I have a physical handicap. we will be doing some rides in the SC area before/after Sea Otter if anybody is in the area drop me a PM and we'll hook up. Especially if you know a good line that is begging to be hit. I am newer to the area and don't know SC too well yet.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
It really is California vs BC riding...the thing I love about this tourney is I think both will end up winning something. The big winner is obviously the one who walks away with ufc. But the other guy I am sure will have some sponsorship too. For me, this has been the best year by far and away. I am very very glad carlin didn't just stick to desert riding and hucks.

I vote Carlin, tough one cause I think Wayne is smoking too. Damn competition is to close. If Carlin was a 10, wayne was 9.8 or 9.9.

Cheers.

(see not all canadian vote for canadians) ;)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Roasted, Carlin, Ryan Schnepf and myself (as well as many others) will be in Whistler this July. we should hook up and charge it! You could show us some local trails. I went last year but only for 10 days and I never got sick of the mountain (chairlift!). I wanna try some "off piste" riding.

pic of me on clown shoes...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I am actually very new to dh. I mostly trail ride and picked up my dually last fall and only rode it 2 weeks. I could definately show you around to some trails though. Lots of fun ones in the valley if you don't mind a slow poke :)

Congratulate both riders...they are awesome and I hope they get the sponsorships they deserve.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
That's the beauty of Whistler, there are trails for everyone and you can learn fast. I'll post again when I know exact dates, etc. Plus the MTN> opens soon so you have a few months to get "warmed up"!:D

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by punkassean
That's the beauty of Whistler, there are trails for everyone and you can learn fast. I'll post again when I know exact dates, etc. Plus the MTN> opens soon so you have a few months to get "warmed up"!:D
Your telling me. I have a feeling it is gonna be a good year for my progression. :) PM me and we can hookup, there are some trails in the valley that are interesting to say the least.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
As a fellow competitor, Wayne has skills on a HT. He shows that he can practice a trick until he pulls it, a tailwhip. but Carlin kills it, period. Carlin's video was the better of the two, oops make that best of the comp hands down. CQ

I hope to meet up with them at S.O.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Scrub, those are nice words coming from a person on Carlins level! I want to do some filming that week, amybe we can all get together? I am sure he will be stoked to meet you at Sea Otter! The NSMB.com bulletin board forum is slamming Carlin for having a beer in his lifestyle vid, they are acting like it is the end of the world! Your vid was awesome! I especially liked the X-up flatty on that hippish jump.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I gotta vote for the local boy. Carlin, you do Santa Barbara proud:thumb:
Seeing him pull off some of this stuff in person just blows your mind. He can ride all right ;)

biker3

Turbo Monkey
I really like the video but im kinda skeptical to vote for someone who has like 1/4 of his video on a motorcycle? Whats up with that? Should we be awarding someone sponsorship and what not when there splitting there time between two sports? He's def awsome but doesn't the fully dedicated biker deserve the props. Im think im voting for wade but its hard because carlin does rip its just hard for me to give him my vote. I don't know him personally but from his interview on the vid its sounds like hes more into MOTOX then biking.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Carlin is my friend and he doesn't ride moto at all anymore. Seriously like a few times a year. He is new to MTB but it is his life! He has already gone pro racing street bikes but a few years ago he "retired" due to a broken Femur. He realized it was just to dangerous. Most of that footy in his bio vid was at least a year or two old. I assure you he is all about MTB!

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
carlin...

i dont care about the drops, and i dont care about the gaps. that boy can fu*king PIN IT down a rock garden.

that was hot.
you got mah vote.

~SGD

563 740

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
North of Albany
Goss throws down for sure, but 75% of his vid was just "big-wheel bmx". Dunne can pin it through rock gardens, huck w/ the best of em, and throw down at the skate park. I'd say that's the ultimate definition of freeride.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
well since I haven't voted yet im all for carlin. Yeah the rockgardn riding was def badass I liked that a lot. Also Im not really into the big wheel bmx stuff either id rather see guys throwin down on an actual mountain any day over DJ's and skate parks but they are still cool. Props to carlin and wayne but i gotta go with carlin for sure now that his MTB loyalty has been confirmed!

Feb 8, 2002
Raleigh
Originally posted by biker3
I really like the video but im kinda skeptical to vote for someone who has like 1/4 of his video on a motorcycle?
That was just ignorant. Have you been following the comp at all? They showed a bit more video in the finals clips....and that's when the extra 5 seconds of moto footage was added. Did you see the beer clip in the previous rounds? No.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
how is it ignorant that im just commenting on the fact that a UFC video made for MOUNTAIN BIKING not MOTOX has a fair amount of the video having to do with motorized duallys? Plus half of the interview he is talking about motox and racing streetbikes. The extra 5 seconds could have been an extra 5 seconds of his riding is all im saying I don't see any ignorance in that by any means. Hes a great rider I just wanted to make sure my vote is going to the right place is all. Please read the rest of my post before you make lame posts calling me ignorant. I was asking a logical question and I got a logical answer from his buddy in the post before yours.

stRYder

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
kelowna, BC, Cananadia
please dont judge us canadians based on the postings of the computer grommets on the nsmb.com forums! Although some individuals seem to hateing on Carlin, I assure u guys that this is a minority! U have to be blind or biased to not see he is pro calibre!

I predict CARLIN UFC

by a landslide:eek:

RY

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by biker3
how is it ignorant that im just commenting on the fact that a UFC video made for MOUNTAIN BIKING not MOTOX has a fair amount of the video having to do with motorized duallys? Plus half of the interview he is talking about motox and racing streetbikes. The extra 5 seconds could have been an extra 5 seconds of his riding is all im saying I don't see any ignorance in that by any means. Hes a great rider I just wanted to make sure my vote is going to the right place is all. Please read the rest of my post before you make lame posts calling me ignorant. I was asking a logical question and I got a logical answer from his buddy in the post before yours.
Biker3, it's all good. coming into it in the last round is a bit confusing. The first thirty seconds of the last round vids is a bio section that is meant to show what you are like in general, not just on a bike. I guess they (race face) figure to be at the top of the game you obviously love to ride MTB! but what else do you do? Carlin was giving credit to his background and giving a peek into his lifestyle, No worries for getting confused, it's all good! Go easy on the boy BHWB! he's figuring it out.

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
The NSMB discussion on this is comical. If you want to vote because Wayne has more skill then fine but it is fairly obvious (some of them have admitted it) that they are not voting for Dunne because he is.........
Shown drinking beer

Shown riding a MX bike

Not Canadian

Shown riding in more locations than Goss

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I hate to say it because it seems so darn cliché, but I really believe a lot of them (NSMB) are just jealous of the fact that Carlin has gone all over north america (ON HIS OWN FUNDS!) and they are 15yo and can't even drive yet. I mean American, Canadian or Chinese, he frickin' rips! I personally like to see MTBers progressing the sport by taking it where no other sport has gone before, not by doing "big wheel BMX" tricks, I am not insinuating that tailwhips and barspins are easy, in fact they are damn hard! But that sport already exists. Carlin takes MTB to a new level, there are inevitable similarities to free-skiing, moto-x and of course BMX, but all in all he is freeride mountain biking, and right there with the best of 'em!

I am with Stryder on this one,

Carlin Dunne, UFC III Winner by a landslide!
(or at least a few hundred votes,;) )

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Carlin, myself and a few other buddies from Arcata rode mailboxes here in SC yesterday, we shot some helmet cam footy and all in all it was really fun. Voting ends at midnight tonight so cast a vote if you haven't already. It's down to the wire and I have to admit, it is nerve racking for sure! I just wanted to wish my homie GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!! I hope you win it!

jack123

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
santa barbara
my vote went out to carlin. gotta support the local guy(im in santa barbara too). and he simply rips, and seems like a cool guy.
i guess well see tonite who won.

stRYder

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
kelowna, BC, Cananadia
carlin got screwed thats what the "shocking" pictures represent.

oh ya i was drunk and partying when i posted em, and i had just got off the phone with a bro , who was at the sea otter. so if a mod wants to delete' em then so be it! :monkey:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Just wanted to say I got the chance to finally meet Wayne a few hours before the announcement. He is a really nice and humble kid. Since he didn't get to bring a crew all the way down with him from northern BC, he hung out with me, Carlin and our whole crew the night of the announcment, he fit right in. We watched the BIKE mag awards and pretty much agreed when it came to things like Aaron chase being the best urban rider of the year, etc. Anyway He and Carlin got along great, they talked a bunch about riding and what ever else came up. They both seemed just super stoked to be there. After what seemed like forever, Tippie finally announced "With 55% of the vote, the winner of the UFC III is.......Wayne Goss! Wayne looked pretty darn stoked, as would be expected. And no doubt this was a really close finish, there were something like 6000 votes total so 5% of that comes to about 300 or so votes difference. That is how a contest like this should end, with a tight friggin margin. And the great news is nobody really lost, Of course Wayne will now be getting great exposure, but Carlin was also approached multiple times that night and through out the weekend by many of the premiere companies in the biz. I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of both of these kids in the very near future, I hope they both can stay healthy and injury free for the season. Speaking of Injuries, Bearclaw broke his collarbone due to the high winds at the Sea Otter jump comp. And Timo got hurt as well. I think Cowan won it, but not sure. Carlin also raced expert DH this weekend and missed 1st by only 0.5 of a second! Not bad but frustrating since it was due to one teeny tiny error that he didn't make in any of his practice runs. Sea Otter was fun as usual I have to admit I was/am a little dissapointed but after seeing the immense interest from so many big name companies throughout the weekend, I am positive Carlin and Wayne will both do fine in the long run. I also get a feeling we might see both of them in NWDV, and that's a little more than just a hunch;) ;)