Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was reading that. Only problem I see is hes OLD and fat. 41 and just now getting into the octagon. But if he gets a mit on you, you are DONE.

I can't imagine his power with a 5oz glove. He might kill his first opponent. But White said he is fighting at 205? Good luck with that.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
I just hope that they don't put him in there with a grappler for his first match. I really don't want to see Roy Nelson gutoplata him for 15 mins. There are a bunch of intriguing matchups at 205, but I would love to see them put him in there with Cro Cop at a catch weight instead. Rumor mill is calling that he is fighting Kimbo since the Kimbo/Mitrione fight has been pulled from the UFC site.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I was reading that. Only problem I see is hes OLD and fat. 41 and just now getting into the octagon. But if he gets a mit on you, you are DONE.

I can't imagine his power with a 5oz glove. He might kill his first opponent. But White said he is fighting at 205? Good luck with that.
That's what I was thinking, with UFC gloves he's going to be deadly with crazy fast hands. His boxing will be the best in the UFC hands down. I'm sure he can cut to 205 if he wants to.

The fighters who make their living on their feet with their hands (Quinton Jackson, Chuck Lidell for instance) are going to really have to prove their sh!t against this guy.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's what I was thinking, with UFC gloves he's going to be deadly with crazy fast hands. His boxing will be the best in the UFC hands down. I'm sure he can cut to 205 if he wants to.

The fighters who make their living on their feet with their hands (Quinton Jackson, Chuck Lidell for instance) are going to really have to prove their sh!t against this guy.
Chuck doesn't have form, but he has crazy power in the overhand right. That punch meter thing Adam Corolla had showed him as the record holder with a single shot. Not 3 tries, or do overs, one solid shot.

Chuck scored a 648 on the Hooters punching bag. Sugar Ray Leonard scored a 530. Chuck shattered the standing record: Adam’s score of 565.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Holy crap... youtube "James Tony UFC". He's all over the net talking tons of sh!t.

I LOL'd a few times.

I woudn't be surprised to see Dana white throw Anderson Silva or Machida at him just to shut him up after seeing all gangster style smack talk.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Just another publicity stunt guys.

He may have heavy hands but he won't stand a chance. If he were young and fit it might be a different story but this guy will get demolished by almost anyone in 205 (I don't know if Kimbo counts as a real MMA fighter yet). If they can't beat him standing it will be an easy win on the ground.

Boxing technique and MMA striking are very different. You can't stand around and cover up while your opponent hits you in MMA.

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
This is how it's going to be all over again. Watch the first fight. Watch the other two if you just want to see how awesome Gracie was back in his day.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I just want to see him get TKO'ed on something truly ghey, like a series of monotonous leg kicks to the thigh followed by a cut above the eye from an elbow. Seriously, a fat boxer? Kimbo at least had to "rassle" in his fights. This guy taking on grapplers, strikers, K-1 fighters....any of the above have a monster advantage on him.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
LOL, that's not even fair.
And you think watching Anderson Silva dance around landing 98% of his shots would be more fair?

I would put cash money on Silva to KO that fat man in under a minute. If not KO, triangle choked to within an inch of his life before the end of round 1.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
And you think watching Anderson Silva dance around landing 98% of his shots would be more fair?

I would put cash money on Silva to KO that fat man in under a minute. If not KO, triangle choked to within an inch of his life before the end of round 1.
I would take that bet. Silva never ko's people in the first min. He normally feels them out to get their timing and strategy down, then picks them apart.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would take that bet. Silva never ko's people in the first min. He normally feels them out to get their timing and strategy down, then picks them apart.
I think Irvin was less than a minute, but I could be wrong. It was basically one punch.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Let him fight Kongo. Or better yet, Junior Dos Santos. I can't wait to see Santos fight Gonzaga.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
If I remember correctly, Cain is supposed to be fighting Brock as soon as Brock can come back. Then the winner of that fight will be getting the winner of Carwin vs Mir.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If I remember correctly, Cain is supposed to be fighting Brock as soon as Brock can come back. Then the winner of that fight will be getting the winner of Carwin vs Mir.
My prediction is Mir will beat Carwin, then lose to Cain. I think Cain has the best chance at beating Brock.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Oops accidentally cut and deleted wrong post... still in clipboard though. Guess I'll put it back up :)

[Paste]

I watched the video of Dana asking him if he's been training MMA. Leads me to believe that JT isn't worried about takedowns or leg kicks. Kept saying... "it ain't gonna come to that".

So that's a strike against Toney.

Then I watched a vido of him boxing last night. He seems to be more of a coverup boxer. That sh!t doesn't work with the tiny little gloves.

He's going to get destroyed. Give him Mir so he can get his arm broke off.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Any new about Fedors next fiGht? this guy is still unbitable!
He's unbeatable in strikeforce.

Strikeforce has some good fighters now. But the top tier guys don't have as much competition as they do in the UFC. Hendo went over there... he'll probably go straight to the top as unbeaten in Strikeforce. In the UFC, I think he was 2-2.

Irvin.

Why don't Mir and Cain fight and then the winner of that take on Brock... seems like that's how it should be.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Why don't Mir and Cain fight and then the winner of that take on Brock... seems like that's how it should be.
They are doing that "interim title" BS AGAIN. Let Brock keep the title, but Dana knows title fights make $$$, so he is milking a title fight out of the deal.

So lame that Fedor is in Strikeforce because he's an investor in it. So very lame!
I still say he's chicken. He saw what happened to CroCop in his debut (Head kick KO and busted ankle) and he wants no part of it.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
They are doing that "interim title" BS AGAIN. Let Brock keep the title, but Dana knows title fights make $$$, so he is milking a title fight out of the deal.

I still say he's chicken. He saw what happened to CroCop in his debut (Head kick KO and busted ankle) and he wants no part of it.
Good point JD.

Crocop
Out of UFC: super badass.
In UFC: Crap

Fedor out of UFC: Champ
In UFC: Contender, maybe.

Mir might take him, cain might take him, Couture might take him, Brock would take him for sure.

Bottom line... we wont see it ever. Why, because MMA is not open like Boxing is. And it will be that way for a long, long time. Companies make far too much money paying the fighters crap. Look at boxing... those top guys make millions per event. MMA, not-even-close.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Bottom line... we wont see it ever. Why, because MMA is not open like Boxing is. And it will be that way for a long, long time. Companies make far too much money paying the fighters crap. Look at boxing... those top guys make millions per event. MMA, not-even-close.
Agreed.

Some of the sponsor deals MMA is getting are impressive (Xyence paying Chuck Liddell $1M a year), but the payout isn't nearly what Boxers make. There was a great article about the bonuses, though and how they motivate the lower fights.

A fighter might only make $10k (TUF "6 figure contract" is 10 fights at $10k over 2 years as and example) per fight, but could get $60k or more for a fight of the night bonus.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah, his bonus was being on tv and never fighting in the UFC or anywhere else ever.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yah, i think i remember that. I'm sure that idiot is kicking himself in the nuts daily for that eff up. His girl is probably with some other dude too. Some other guy that actually fights.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
i hope a pro jumps in with him 1st fight. if he fights some can and wins, mma will never hear the end of it
My thoughts exactly. Put anderson Silva on him, case closed. If a UFC fighter puts a top tier boxer down with ease I think it will really show hard core boxing fans that MMA is where it's at these days. Might create some new MMA fans.

I'd really like to see him ket KO'd on his feet more than I would like to see him tackled and submitted. Though Frank Mir breaking one of his arms off would be good times as well.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'd really like to see him ket KO'd on his feet more than I would like to see him tackled and submitted. Though Frank Mir breaking one of his arms off would be good times as well.
I would still rather see a top tier boxer take on a top tier MMA fighter, though. If Toney looses, boxing fans will say he's old and out of shape. If he wins, those same fans will say "See, boxing it WAY better".

I ant to see BJ Penn or GSP against Manny Pacquiao or something. But I know THAT would never happen, or at least not for a very long time.

<edit> They were showing the clip of Mir breaking Tim Silvia's arm on some highlight reel last week. Man, that was nasty.