Quantcast

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
If Crocop wins, i'll be very surprised. He isn't as evasive as he used to be. He's slow on the feet these days, and his straight left and head kick are his only weapons. He's only a counter puncher too. All Mir has to do is walk him over to the fence, throw some punches, hug him Couture style, and make him fall over onto the mat. Then it'll be game over. Don't get me wrong, i like crocop. I was way disappointed when he first came over from PRIDE because I was hoping he'd do better. His last fight was against some can from Oz that totally sucked. He couldn't even finish that guy. If he wins this fight against Mir, it'll be a huge milestone for his career. I hope he wins, but I don't think it's going to happen. Mir isn't going to take any chances. Not after what happened with him against the big boys. He'll come in and press the action and take it to the floor.
Couture and Hughes don't suck, they're just being passed up by the rest of the field. Their dominant days are done, that's why they aren't giving them any hard competition. There are guys in both classes that could walk through them, but they're keeping Hughes and Couture in the middle, kinda like gate keepers.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
True. Even in PRIDE though, he wasn't much of a hunter. He was almost always the guy that was walking around in circles, picking shots. He always threw two punches, then he'd back off a bit and wait for the guys to drop their hands. I remember his first fight in the UFC. Man, that was a depressing day. He didn't know what the hell to do when he was pinned up against the fence and eating elbows. Good luck to him, but i don't see him beating Mir unless he has broadened his game immensely in this last year.

It's a bit weird these days. I'm actually losing interest in the UFC fights. THere are too many damn fighters now and I only want to pay to see a few fight (Anderson, Brock/Cain, and maybe SHogun). The rest of the field doesn't interest me nearly as much as it used to. Too many fighters these days. I know a few of my buddies feel the same way. Do you think the UFC is kinda screwing things up a bit by having too many fighters and too many PPV's? A lot of us aren't going to be buying every PPV since there are just too many to pick from and since they aren't generally cheap.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
True. Even in PRIDE though, he wasn't much of a hunter. He was almost always the guy that was walking around in circles, picking shots. He always threw two punches, then he'd back off a bit and wait for the guys to drop their hands. I remember his first fight in the UFC. Man, that was a depressing day. He didn't know what the hell to do when he was pinned up against the fence and eating elbows. Good luck to him, but i don't see him beating Mir unless he has broadened his game immensely in this last year.

It's a bit weird these days. I'm actually losing interest in the UFC fights. THere are too many damn fighters now and I only want to pay to see a few fight (Anderson, Brock/Cain, and maybe SHogun). The rest of the field doesn't interest me nearly as much as it used to. Too many fighters these days. I know a few of my buddies feel the same way. Do you think the UFC is kinda screwing things up a bit by having too many fighters and too many PPV's? A lot of us aren't going to be buying every PPV since there are just too many to pick from and since they aren't generally cheap.
Did you see CroCops fight against El Turk or Dos Santos? Guess you didnt...He looks pretty much like the old CroCop, but older...
Still wouldnt want to be in a ring with him though. :D

No PPV so I dont have your problem, I just stream everything online, but just the fights that I think have potential. Still loving it but its just not as exciting to watch as Pride was.
I blame this mostly on the lay and pray stuff which shouldnt be confused with actuall BJJ or Grappling.
Refs should break fighters up when it happens, same goes for pressing against the cage for half a minute...

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I didn't get to see Crocop fight Al Turck,but i did see him get his ass kicked by Dos Santos. He just didn't look like he wanted to be in the octagon with him at all. There was even an article on sherdog about how Crocop didn't look nearly as good in that fight. They were mentioning him thinking about retiring because his desire wasn't really there like it used to be. He was going to take time off from fighting to re-evaluate things. He might just be finishing up his fight contract with the UFC for all i know.

Yeah, the wrestling and holding people down without actually working for a submission or trying to get out of someone's guard is pretty lame. I get tired of seeing fights that don't get finished.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma

Totally agree on the PPV thing... I tend to watch the stuff on Spike. And it's always the same lame sh!t over and over.

I actually think the quality of the fighters is way better than it use to be so the quality of the matches is still good... and I don't think there are too many fighters. But there are definitely too many PPV events. It's like if you want to see a decent fight you need to pay $50+ for it... and then on the card there may only be 1-2 fights that you are interested in. They should only do PPV events on title matches.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Totally agree on the PPV thing... I tend to watch the stuff on Spike. And it's always the same lame sh!t over and over.

I actually think the quality of the fighters is way better than it use to be so the quality of the matches is still good... and I don't think there are too many fighters. But there are definitely too many PPV events. It's like if you want to see a decent fight you need to pay $50+ for it... and then on the card there may only be 1-2 fights that you are interested in. They should only do PPV events on title matches.
Who pays for PPV? :rofl:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

I agree on the old cro-cop. PRIDE rules were much more striker friendly if I remember right, ring was also. I think its the UFC combined with much better wrestling competition that makes him look bad, less his age. Look at Randy - he may be past his prime but he seems to fare much better than other oldtimers.

Also Id like to say to ppl who say Rampage is old - he is not old, just lazy. He should train and learn a few new tricks to adapt. He could still be dangerous.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
With Randy, sure. He's still doing pretty good. But he hasn't really fought anybody that's really that great lately. The last fight i remember Crocop getting effed in was against Dos Santos. I don't know that Randy would do very good against Dos Santos either. It just seems like Randy is getting pretty evenly matched fights. They aren't putting him in there against people like Thiago Silva or Cain, or Kongo.

Jackson better get his sh@t together. I think he's supposed to fight Machida next.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
With Randy, sure. He's still doing pretty good. But he hasn't really fought anybody that's really that great lately. The last fight i remember Crocop getting effed in was against Dos Santos. I don't know that Randy would do very good against Dos Santos either. It just seems like Randy is getting pretty evenly matched fights. They aren't putting him in there against people like Thiago Silva or Cain, or Kongo.

Jackson better get his sh@t together. I think he's supposed to fight Machida next.
Yeah but Cro-Cops last fight was weak. The guy was really doing little to fight him and it took him some time to put him out of the picture. That made me really worried because that fight looked seriously bad.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Some good "free" fights on Spike last night. I was totally impressed with Charles Oliveira after he totally controlled Escudero. Amazing display of offense to add to his top notch bjj ground game. Dude was really active and all over the place with different strikes, and attacked and sealed the deal when a brief opportunity showed. Undefeated and heading up the ladder quickly - only 20 yrs old.

Glad to see Marquardt punch out Palhares when he stopped fighting to whine cause he couldn't lock in his patented ankle lock. :)

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
hahahaha, Chael. Constantly in the media and running his mouth, now he can't be found. Hahahahaha. Poor fool. He'll be lucky if they don't can his a$$ for being in the media so much, then being a horrible example of an MMA fighter.

On another note, did anybody see "ultimate Gracie"? It was awesome. Made me remember a bunch of those fights i used to have on VHS.

Did you hear that Escudero got released from the UFC? He's the first guy to win TUF and be cut from the organization. Crazy. Guess that happens when you go 2-2 and can't make weight.
Oliveira was awesome. That dude is a damn good fighter. Attacks every level, has mad ground game, and presses the action and finished the fight. That dude is gonna shake up the 155 division by finishing some of those non finishers.

I liked Cole Miller's comment. Something like "We have too many guys that just control the clock and too many lay n pray JJ guys. people need to quit trying to control the clock and start finishing fights. This isn't football."

I was bummed that Nate jacked Palhares when he was getting the ref's attention. Dumb thing to do during a fight, but kinda lame that Nate jacked him when he wasn't looking too. What if the dude was really injured and was trying to say something to the ref?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I like Cole, he's a scrapper. I still don't see anyone beating Silva. I am undecided on the Rampage vs. Machida fight, too. If Rampage gets owned, he needs to look at hanging it up.

On a side note, a friend of a friend just opened a training center in Salem. I guess a few of the guys from Team Quest are moving down to train there. Supposed to be a sweet setup, I haven't seen it yet, but supposed to check it out next weekend.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
I was bummed that Nate jacked Palhares when he was getting the ref's attention. Dumb thing to do during a fight, but kinda lame that Nate jacked him when he wasn't looking too. What if the dude was really injured and was trying to say something to the ref?
thats kinda funny considering Palhares is known for holding onto subs too long and causing injuries

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
thats kinda funny considering Palhares is known for holding onto subs too long and causing injuries
and beyond that, its a fight, no whistle was blown, no timeout was called, finish the fight or it can come back to bite you. apologize later. In this case Nate did the right thing.

As for Roids, so sonnen got caught, big deal. Who honestly believes that any professional athlete is clean? I've argued and will continue to argue and believe that 75% of all professional athletes use roids or illegal/banned PED's of some sort.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Palhares isn't known for holding subs too long. He was known for holding one sub too long.

If they can't keep off the roids, they shouldn't compete. Easy as that. His mouth got him in the media constantly, now his roids have him there and his mouth is nowhere to be found. I hope they use him as an example and can him from the organization. If they can't win from hard work and training, then they shouldn't be in the best organization in the world where testing is random. Sherk, Carwin, Chael............all cheaters. They should ban Chael for a year and take half of his earnings from that fight since he really didn't earn the money the right way.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Palhares isn't known for holding subs too long. He was known for holding one sub too long.

If they can't keep off the roids, they shouldn't compete. Easy as that. His mouth got him in the media constantly, now his roids have him there and his mouth is nowhere to be found. I hope they use him as an example and can him from the organization. If they can't win from hard work and training, then they shouldn't be in the best organization in the world where testing is random. Sherk, Carwin, Chael............all cheaters. They should ban Chael for a year and take half of his earnings from that fight since he really didn't earn the money the right way.
so with that logic you want them to just close down the UFC?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
so with that logic you want them to just close down the UFC?
How did you get that out of what I said? Friggin dumba$$. I wouldn't care if they got rid of Brock, or Carwin, or Chael, or Sherk. Wouldn't bother me. It would keep UFC fights at least more competitive when it comes down to talent, skill, and determination. It wouldn't come down to who wants to take the better performance enhancing drugs.
You seriously think they all take performance enhancers? Look at the LHW champ. Does he look like a roider? Look at Edgar. Does he? What about BJ? Do you think BJ was the champ for so long because he was taking the drugs?

haha. my logic. That's funny. What about your logic?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Ring for the win. No friggin huggin up against the fence. That has to be the worst ****e about the UFC.

Looks like i was right. Crocop lost last night. He should retire. He sucks compared to how he used to be. He's not even close to as good as before. I read about his fight. Sounds like it never really went to the ground. If it never went to the ground, he should've been able to beat Mir. He's a shell of his formal self.