Quantcast

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Fighters will often be very tentative in the championship bouts. The undercard is usually more exciting, and I wish they would make all fights 5 rounds.
Think about a 5 round HW fight. Who could take that? Cain maybe? Who else? Most of the HWs are done by round 2. A better idea would be more draw rounds and in case of a draw sudden death or 2 rounds + sudden death like they do on TUF. It would really light the flame under peoples asses instead of gassing them.

btw. It's the first TUF season since long I'm genuinely excited.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I read about that Saku fight. I was bummed to hear that he lost. But, he's way past his prime, and Mayhem doesn't suck. It'll be interesting to see if Strikeforce puts together a Mayhem vs. Nick Diaz fight. There was talk of that happening right after Nick beat KJ Noons.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
From the looks of Bonnar last night, he had better hope he is not one of the tested fighters... Absolutely shredded, more agro, and the back zits in full effect.

The strikeforce card had some serious kos. The daley punch was nasty.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Think about a 5 round HW fight. Who could take that? Cain maybe? Who else? Most of the HWs are done by round 2. A better idea would be more draw rounds and in case of a draw sudden death or 2 rounds + sudden death like they do on TUF. It would really light the flame under peoples asses instead of gassing them.

btw. It's the first TUF season since long I'm genuinely excited.
That's one of the main reasons why I don't care for the HW division.

It is kinda of amusing to see a Kimbo, Big Country, or even Lesnar; but when it comes to all out action, the lighter categories are where it is at.

Anyway, I enjoyed the TUF finale. I saw only one fight this season, one where Jonathan decimated his opponent in the first minutes. He seems like the oddest personality for MMA, which makes him very entertaining.

I thought he was going down when he caught a punch when he was shooting. But he was able to survive the round, which really impressed me.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
From the looks of Bonnar last night, he had better hope he is not one of the tested fighters... Absolutely shredded, more agro, and the back zits in full effect.

The strikeforce card had some serious kos. The daley punch was nasty.
Are you saying Bonnar is on the juice? I didn't watch the fight closely (well closely enough to analyze skin conditions), but when someone says an athlete is juicing, I believe it.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Are you saying Bonnar is on the juice? I didn't watch the fight closely (well closely enough to analyze skin conditions), but when someone says an athlete is juicing, I believe it.
You could see it pretty clearly,and it was visible in HD. He has been popped for roids before. Would not surprise me if he came in hot again.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Lets not talk about Bonnar. What about Nam fight? What the hell happened there. Im agree with many controvesial decisions as I know the rules and scoring system is stupid but what happened here?

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Nam got robbed. No other way to describe it. He was more active, landed more shots, and clearly won the fight.

It's funny to say, but I watched the strikeforce card right directly after, and it put the ufc card that night to shame.. daley's ko was slick, lawler droped a bomb, and hendo koed babalu on the ground. Great fights to watch after the decision fest that went on in the UFC that night.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Nam got robbed. No other way to describe it. He was more active, landed more shots, and clearly won the fight.

It's funny to say, but I watched the strikeforce card right directly after, and it put the ufc card that night to shame.. daley's ko was slick, lawler droped a bomb, and hendo koed babalu on the ground. Great fights to watch after the decision fest that went on in the UFC that night.
Cards weren't exactly comparable. It was a TUF card vs a top notch Strikeforce card. Big difference.

As for the TUF finale... Man that kid irked it out just barely... what horrible standup. I think he probably has one of the best attitudes in MMA, so I'll always be rooting for him, but he's a knock out waiting to happen.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Cards weren't exactly comparable. It was a TUF card vs a top notch Strikeforce card. Big difference.

As for the TUF finale... Man that kid irked it out just barely... what horrible standup. I think he probably has one of the best attitudes in MMA, so I'll always be rooting for him, but he's a knock out waiting to happen.
Agree about Brookins. Also am I the only one who thinks Johnson would be better of at 170? He has serious problems with conditioning at 155. Kos mentioned he is big for a 155er.

Also Cody impressed me with that win. I only hope he doesnt put local patriotism over training and finds a good camp. With better standup he can be interesting. The way he grinds those chokes is crazy.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

His standup wasn't the worse I've seen (Jake Shields), but he is not going to win if other fighters do not fear his fists.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
His standup wasn't the worse I've seen (Jake Shields), but he is not going to win if other fighters do not fear his fists.
Though tons of respect for him. He is probably the last one of the old timers (well last one that matters).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Yep... he wont have a very bright future if he cant stand with people. He needs to find a boxing or a thai coach and train nothing but that for a year or 2.

Anyone with really good takedown defense and good standup will be able to beat that kid.

As for the worst standup... what was the name of that dude that Nick Diaz fought that just stood in front of him like a statue? Some Japanese guy in yellow trunks.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
GSP. Jab clinic. What was that Koscheck, you want to keep the fight standing? No problem. Hope you weren't too attached to your right eye.

PM me for link to the fight.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm suprised people were complaining that the card was weak because it's GSP fighting in Canada. One of the most entertaining cards in a long time.

As for GSP - KOs it's has been some time since I've seen a fight so one sided. Imho it's even more humiliating than being KOd - no excuses for calling it a punchers chance shot.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Crazy to think that Kos fought another 4 rounds after a suffering a broken orbital bone in the first. Guy is tough.

GSP completely dominated the fight except for one takedown.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Really? I hadn't heard that he broke the orbital.
Yep. Happened within the first 3 minutes I think, at least that's about when I remember seeing a pretty bad cut...

Then every time they showed his corner between rounds he was busy screaming and swearing at the guy trying to ice it. I made some comment about how putting pressure on it prolly hurt like hell, even though I had no idea it was busted....

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Yep. Happened within the first 3 minutes I think, at least that's about when I remember seeing a pretty bad cut...

Then every time they showed his corner between rounds he was busy screaming and swearing at the guy trying to ice it. I made some comment about how putting pressure on it prolly hurt like hell, even though I had no idea it was busted....
Sh!t it must have hurt like hell getting smacked with that same jab another 100 times. No wonder he looked like he was afraid of getting hit after the first round.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
He not only has a broken orbital but an air buble in his eye (or eye socket, cant remember right) and that means that he can't fly planes so he has to go to boston by car. Worse than na KO.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I, for one, am glad that kos got his ass handed to him. What was the blow that did the damage?

This is precisely why GSP is champ. He has excellent wrestling and excellent striking. Most guys in the UFC are either ground savy or standup savvy. All GSP needs to do is show up ready to the whatever they aren't good at.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
I, for one, am glad that kos got his ass handed to him. What was the blow that did the damage?
I think it was literally the 3rd or 4th jab...you see Koschek wince and it was alll down hill from there. I'll rewatch the first round later and see if I can get a time on it. It didnt help that GSP peppered the same right eye over and over for 5 rnds.

It was a perfect showing from GSP. He caught Koschek completely off guard standing with him. Dana White said Koschek told him the morning before the fight that GSP will NOT stand with him....so much for that.
GSP is the epitome of a well rounded fighter...you dont have an advantage anywhere against him. And he's just getting better....

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
I guess KOS is a little overconfident in his striking. GSP is technically a very good striker.
I think kos also assumed that because GSP spent 5 rnds against both Hardy and Alves picking them up and dropping them on their back that he would do the same against him. His bag of tricks is bigger then that...
Id agree that technically speaking there's no one better than GSP striking.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Id agree that technically speaking there's no one better than GSP striking.
Well that's debatable as Silva is technically the best striker in MMA. However, I'll say that there's no one thats as technically good at striking that can also wrestle as well as GSP.

Though I have to admit that Frankie Edgar is pretty good in both areas... He just lacks KO power.