Quantcast

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I would still rather see a top tier boxer take on a top tier MMA fighter, though. If Toney looses, boxing fans will say he's old and out of shape. If he wins, those same fans will say "See, boxing it WAY better".

I ant to see BJ Penn or GSP against Manny Pacquiao or something. But I know THAT would never happen, or at least not for a very long time.

<edit> They were showing the clip of Mir breaking Tim Silvia's arm on some highlight reel last week. Man, that was nasty.
Yeah that clip is crazy, didn't take long for him to snap it. He's one of those guys that, if he grabs an arm or a leg... you'd better tap.

As for the boxer thing... Totally agree, it'll probably never happen. Not unless there's a large enough payday in it. And well... we've already talked about that.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I think it's the equivalent of the Kirt Angle....angle.?!? Bring in named guys from the sport you're wanting to recruit from, pay them a fat hunk for the lower tier guys and watch the top tier guys come running when they see the lower tier guys get a couple paydays.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I think it's the equivalent of the Kirt Angle....angle.?!? Bring in named guys from the sport you're wanting to recruit from, pay them a fat hunk for the lower tier guys and watch the top tier guys come running when they see the lower tier guys get a couple paydays.
Really hard to match a top tier boxers payday though. Those guys get like 3mil for a single fight regardless of results. Thats crazy money.

The UFC guys probably don't get that kind of cash, even if they get a KO, KO of the night, and fight of the night and the title all in the same fight.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Really hard to match a top tier boxers payday though. Those guys get like 3mil for a single fight regardless of results. Thats crazy money.

The UFC guys probably don't get that kind of cash, even if they get a KO, KO of the night, and fight of the night and the title all in the same fight.
Other than the $1M they paid Randy Coture to fight Brock, I think the top payout was like $200k or something. It was a main event + a bonus.

I know some boxers are pulling $3M to lose. That's just crazy.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah, boxers get paid too much to fight.

I think Brock got $250 to fight last time he fought. I'm pretty sure. Some of those guys make good money. Not boxer money, but they aren't hurtin. Last time Rashad fought he got $230k.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Think Jon Jones is going to be Vera? I think so.
I'd like to see Dos Santos beat Gonzaga too. I hate how these fights are going to be on Versus. I can't find anybody that has that damn channel!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Junior looked good. But I don't know if he can swing with all the others if he stays at 235. While I don't think Mir (if he beats Carwin) will be Lesnar, even with his additional size, I think Mir and Carwin would both be too much for Junior.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, boxers get paid too much to fight.

I think Brock got $250 to fight last time he fought. I'm pretty sure. Some of those guys make good money. Not boxer money, but they aren't hurtin. Last time Rashad fought he got $230k.
You know 230k is not that much when you think of all the training expenses a fighter incurs and that every fight basically takes months off their lifespan.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
imo the fights last night :thumbsdown: ,but the dos santos fight was good he looks to be a real contender if he stays 235 . the fight between congo and the fat dude was kind of funny and the main bout was kid of a let down . i didn't have my hopes up when i was looking @ the fight card on seen the best matches but it was free so that was cool .

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That knot on the side of Vera's head was NASTY. I guess there has been a lot of hype about that kid, but I'd never heard of him before last night. Vera is no slouch and to be beat down that bad that fast does say something about Jones.

Yahoo Sports is calling him the next Anderson Silva. No offense, but I think that's a bit of a stretch at this point. Maybe in a few years.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
You know 230k is not that much when you think of all the training expenses a fighter incurs and that every fight basically takes months off their lifespan.
Troo. But look at the houses those guys live in. They aren't hurting for money by any means. These guys aren't even the highest paid in the sport right now. I think that Tim Sylvia got somewhere around $600K when he fought Fedor and lost in 32 seconds. I'm sure training isn't costing them that much. Especially when they're probably bringing more people to the gym because their name is associated with the gym they train at.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
...and in rome they only thing gladiators won was their lives for another week. Im sorry but why the **** does someone fighting for fun make more than someone fighting for (purported) freedom.
It's entertainment. Probably the same reason bball players get paid more than ER doctors that are saving people's lives.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Well. think GSP is gonna do it tomorrow?

What about Mir?

I'm thinking they'll both lose tomorrow. Mir is going to get hit once by Carwin and he's going to go into the fetal position.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dan Hardy is going to get smashed tomorrow. GSP is on his game and Hardy has too many holes in his.

No call on Mir/Carwin. I would like to see Mir win, but I doubt he can beat Lesnar, so I would rather see Carwin get the shot.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
It is pretty unlikely that Hardy would win. But he is the guy that'll take a punch to throw one. If he gets lucky, he could connect. But yeah, he's probably going to be out wrestled to death like all of the other guys GSP beats.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'm thinking Mir is going to take a punch from Carwin and get into the fetal position. I don't know if he'll be able to sub Carwin.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
i think carwin is going to ko mir and no shock gsp is going to kick hardy's ass . i was @ a bar a couple of hours ago and saw a commerical for a fight night that's going to be on cbs with hendo fighting . does anybody have info on that ?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
i think carwin is going to ko mir and no shock gsp is going to kick hardy's ass . i was @ a bar a couple of hours ago and saw a commerical for a fight night that's going to be on cbs with hendo fighting . does anybody have info on that ?
Hendo is going to be fighting Jake Shields for the 185 belt in Strikeforce. he should be able to beat Jake pretty easily. Jake is supposed to be a black belt in Cesar Gracie JJ, but he hasn't submitted sh!t.

I think Fedor might be fighting that same night. And hopefully Alistair Overeem. Alistair is about the only heavyweight in Strikeforce that could beat Fedor.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Mir came out looking just lazy. Carwin showed some good tight-quarters power and rocked Mir.

GSP fight was just as boring as I expected...no need to spend any time on stand-up if you can just take the guy down and hold him there at will.

I enjoyed the Nate Diaz fight, always pulling for him to win.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Carwin dominated Mir. Looked like Mir was waiting on Carwin to Gas.. Fight didn't make it that far. Mir threw one bs combo and then a clinch. Carwin and Lesnar is going to be interesting. Two freaks of nature colliding in the cage.

As for GSP. I think that he dominated the fight, but cannot figure out why he did not snap hardy's arm. Had it locked down 2 times. Almost like he is too nice, or did not want to risk Nike, UA, Gatorade, (insert big time sponsorship) dollars by having a snapped arm on his record and replayed on highlight shows and spike.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Hendo is going to be fighting Jake Shields for the 185 belt in Strikeforce. he should be able to beat Jake pretty easily. Jake is supposed to be a black belt in Cesar Gracie JJ, but he hasn't submitted sh!t.

I think Fedor might be fighting that same night. And hopefully Alistair Overeem. Alistair is about the only heavyweight in Strikeforce that could beat Fedor.
He'll get the title but he knows first hand where the real belt is and who holds it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Did Mir even hit him for real? I saw a few half assed throws and one elbow. Why the reff let him take 4 shots AFTER he was out cold is beyond me, though.

Carwin has a shot, much better than Mir had.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Did Mir even hit him for real? I saw a few half assed throws and one elbow. Why the reff let him take 4 shots AFTER he was out cold is beyond me, though.

Carwin has a shot, much better than Mir had.
I don't get Mir... He has crazy good submissions, but he's not really good at taking people down. Doesn't seem to ever shoot, and if he does it's kind of half assed.

Carwin wont be able to take Lesnar... Lesnar will shoot in like a freaking bull and that will be that.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't get Mir... He has crazy good submissions, but he's not really good at taking people down. Doesn't seem to ever shoot, and if he does it's kind of half assed.

Carwin wont be able to take Lesnar... Lesnar will shoot in like a freaking bull and that will be that.
If Carwin can develop a sprawl, that would help. Look at Chuck, he is pretty bad ass on the ground, but he's not a fan of fighting off his back. Chuck can stuff just about any take down regardless. Even after you take Chuck down, he rarely stays down. He was a top notch wrestler, but his sprawl is legendary. Carwin could take a lesson and keep it on the feet. That would level the field a little.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
I really dont get some of you people...
GSP fight boring??? You clearly need to go watch the WWE.

How is watching the best welter weight in the world completely dominate the "number 2 contender" boring? GSP dropped Hardy at EVERY SINGLE opportunity. He was never "laying and praying" and was constantly transitioning and looking for subs.
Saying that he didn't want to snap Hardy's arm for sponsorship reasons could be one of the dumbest things ive heard said about this fight or GSP...and a lot of dumb things have been said. Did you even watch the fight? Did you see the extension he had on Hardys arm during that arm bar??? He popped his elbow and kept cranking! This fight was more of a testament to Hardy's ridiculous pain tolerance. I truly believe there is not a fighter out there in any weight class who wouldn't have tapped on both those submissions. Honestly, if you cant appreciate what GSP did for 5 rounds I think it's time to find a new sport to watch....or learn a thing or two about the technical ground game. Wrestling is a part of MIXED MARTIAL ARTS!
The other HILARIOUS thing people keep saying is "If GSP is so good why didnt he stand and exchange with Hardy?"....again, really people???? He's not stupid and there's a reason he's the best. Why should he play into his opponents strengths? To prove to a bunch of meat heads he would still have beat Hardy on the feet? DUMB.
I'm not saying GSP fought a perfect fight, and he was the first one to say that. He fought too hard for submissions and didnt use his ground and pound as effectively as he could have...but I will never understand how watching THE TOP contender fight for five rounds is "boring". Every fight doesnt need to end with a devestating knockout or a broken bone to be an exciting fight.

If this comes off as angry it's not completely directed at the people posting on this message board. There's been a lot of assinine comments on the fight from ignorant "fans" the past two days. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:rant: :banghead: :shakefist: :bonk: :wave:

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Every fight doesnt need to end with a devestating knockout or a broken bone to be an exciting fight.
That would be like watching a NASCAR event that doesn't involve a crash, or a hockey game that lacked a fight. GSP has touted his stand up since he got KTFO by Matt Serra. So by NOT engaging in some standing blows only proves he still lacks confidence in that area.

I will say GSP is one of the best pound for pound fighters and it far more well rounded than many of the fighters in his class. But until he can throw blows like Anderson Silva does on the feet, he will lack credit in that department.

As a side note, Silva not only stood in front of "The Sandman" at 205, but KO'ed him in 1:01. Could he have taken him down and triangle chocked the sh!t out of him instead? Yes he could have, but he decided to make a statement. Not only will he beat you, he will beat you at your own game.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
That would be like watching a NASCAR event that doesn't involve a crash, or a hockey game that lacked a fight. GSP has touted his stand up since he got KTFO by Matt Serra. So by NOT engaging in some standing blows only proves he still lacks confidence in that area.

I will say GSP is one of the best pound for pound fighters and it far more well rounded than many of the fighters in his class. But until he can throw blows like Anderson Silva does on the feet, he will lack credit in that department.

As a side note, Silva not only stood in front of "The Sandman" at 205, but KO'ed him in 1:01. Could he have taken him down and triangle chocked the sh!t out of him instead? Yes he could have, but he decided to make a statement. Not only will he beat you, he will beat you at your own game.
Bah. Lacks credit? Maybe when you compare him to the number one striker in MMA, but other than that...
The few stand up moments against Hardy GSP did land the better shots. Same with the previous fight against Alves. Have you seen GSP vs Fitch? How could you watch that and not appreciate GSP's stand up?
GSP and his coaches understands the idea of "punchers chance" and against a guy as powerful as Hardy do you not think it is the SMART thing to completely eliminate that chance? This is a professional fight, not a brawl at a bar.
I also dont get why he needs to "make a statement"...is winning the fight 5-0 not dominant enough? Georges clearly tried to finish Hardy on the ground...it's just a lot easier said than done.
I think a lot of MMA "fans" would be much more entertained by K1 or straight up Muay Thai. Wrestling, grappling and BJJ are a huge part of MMA...what may appear "boring" to the laymen watching is usually very technical and the tiniest mistake will end a fight....hence the reason sometimes things move slower. I dunno, to me there is a lot more to a good fight than seeing blood.

I think Hardy *DOES* have broken bones...that was just re-donk-u-lous.
Hah! Exactly. Maybe some people should stop watching the fight after the first round and simply pretend GSP tapped him....

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I give Roy Nelson credit for his ability as a fighter, but he really should lose the gut. I bet he could cut to 185 if he wanted to. When the UFC is still trying to establish themselves as a legitimate sport, having a guy like Roy Nelson just looks bad.

Yahoo Sports wrote a piece on Carwin being a "part time fighter". If he can beat full time fighters like Mir with ease, what does that say about the guys who train full time? He is an Engineer during the day, has a new kid, so he only trains in the evening and even after winning the fake belt said he wasn't quitting his day job.

If Carwin can hold down a day job AND train to win, Roy could do a crunch or 2 in his spare time.