Quantcast

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Thats a BS argument. Tyson was a Junior Heavyweight Olympic Champion 5 years before he became the undisputed heavyweight champion. He started boxing at 12 and so it was 8 years not 3. Thats a huge differance. Not to mention his first wins against the greats of the sport didnt come 3 years after he went pro.

My argument is not someone young steamrolling through the sport but someone who is fairly inexperienced. Yes he has wrestling experiance but so do many MMA fighters and they dont kill anyone they touch.
I would have agreed with that point. But the point you made was about the unevenness of the match at the championship level.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I would have agreed with that point. But the point you made was about the unevenness of the match at the championship level.
I was not precise enough but the point was the same. It was uneven considering how inexperianced bones it. Though on the other hand I have to take into consideration his size. It's not like in boxing huge, long armed freaks are not prominent either (not only Klitchkos but that huge ukrainian guy or Lenox who was also very lanky).

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Maybe the inexperience of Jones helped him win. He didn't hesitate like some of those guys that take a while to rise to the top. He saw openings, he went for them, he made it work. That's how the fights should be. He takes chances and they pay off. The rest of the guys don't take the chances as much. Once they're past the undercard, the fights start to become less entertaining.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I'd way rather see a fight between Silva and Bones instead of GSP and Silva.
Totally agree... I don't think GSP stands a chance against Silva. Not because he's not a great fighter, but because there's too much of size deficit when you look at the skill level of silva. GSP is the perfect size for welterweight. I consider Silva a LHW that cuts down to middleweight... hell Silva still looks skinny at 205.

Now Jones vs Silva... that seems like a very good matchup. Jones would have some reach so we'd get to see a lot of silva ducking and dodging so he could get inside and trade. We've never seen Silva in a match where he couldn't use his reach... would be very, very interesting.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Shogun got his ass handed to him in every way possible. Jones looked like he was ready for 5 more rounds. I don't think Rashad can beat him, but if you remember him from the show, he was fighting in the HW class and was 20lbs+ smaller. So fighting a dude that big isn't new AND they train together.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I dont belive in Rashad. Old school Rampage would be good against Jones. The new slow pretend-a-kickboxer page has no chance. Maybe Forest and his grinding style or Machida.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I dont belive in Rashad. Old school Rampage would be good against Jones. The new slow pretend-a-kickboxer page has no chance. Maybe Forest and his grinding style or Machida.
Machida would be a good match on paper but I think it would be a lot of bones attacking and Machida doing laps around the ring avoiding damage.

I'd LOVE to see bones/silva, with Silva outside of his comfort zone against a taller man for once.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I am waiting for UFC 129. It has two championship fights and even Nate Diaz is on the undercard.

Plus I just ordered a flat screen, so I hope to enjoy the fight in full HD.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'd LOVE to see bones/silva, with Silva outside of his comfort zone against a taller man for once.
He's only 2" taller, but I didn't see a reach listed on Sherdog for either dude. But I agree I think it would be an awesome fight and would be a bit unnerving for Silva to look up at a dude like Jones.

Unless Shogun was WAY off, I don't see a lot of guys in LHW that will be an issue for Jones at this rate.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Machida would be a good match on paper but I think it would be a lot of bones attacking and Machida doing laps around the ring avoiding damage.

It wouldnt be an entertaining match but Machida has a decent chance.

I doubt Silva wants to fight Jones. He was never good against strong wrestlers and against somone like Jones? I doubt he would be happy to do that.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Rashad doesn't stand a chance against Jones. Jones has much better stand up. Against guys with good stand up, Rashad gets clumsy and hesitates too much. Watch his fight against Machida. Machida ain't **** compared to Jones. Jones is going to be the champ for a while. Nobody in 205 is going to beat him with skill. If they win, it'll be with complete luck.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You never know. The 205lb belt seems cursed ;) Give mr. Wonderfull a few fights and he has a decent chance.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Jones is going to be the champ for a while. Nobody in 205 is going to beat him with skill. If they win, it'll be with complete luck.
That's what I said when Machida won the belt and look what happened there. I don't know if 205 is cursed or if its just a bunch of bad dudes at 205 in the UFC. Jones just got here, how many like him are waiting to break into the big time?

Silva is a bad dude, much like GSP. They own their divisions, or at least have for a while. 205 is changing hands at damn near every title defense since Rampage beat Liddell. Unless Jones does prove to be the Anderson Silva of the LHW class, then I don't think anyone is unbeatable at 205.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
205 and 265 will change hands often. Maybe no every fight but the fighters at that weight have too much power. A proper hit and a fighter is done (ie. like shogun was) for the rest of the fight or KO'd.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
205 and 265 will change hands often. Maybe no every fight but the fighters at that weight have too much power. A proper hit and a fighter is done (ie. like shogun was) for the rest of the fight or KO'd.
But a few years ago, those same guys had the same power. Yet Chuck was the champ for a while with KO power and a wicked sprawl. He kept the fight standing and if he caught you, you're done.

But now guys are a lot more well rounded and can hit from any angle. I wouldn't be shocked if Jones has the belt for a few fights, but there are a whole lot of new guys.

I mean damn, just look at how many top fighters have come from the TV show. When you have 3 or 4 guys from each season winning fights after they lose on the show, you have to wonder just how good the other guys are.

I think HW is a little different in that you only have about 5 really good HW, so it will be more round robin. 205 just has too many top fighters and if one of the has an off night, it's over.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Chuck was the champ because of the skill differance back then. Who could really challenge him not called Randy? All the LHW talent was at pride when he was the UFC champ.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Chuck was the champ because of the skill differance back then. Who could really challenge him not called Randy? All the LHW talent was at pride when he was the UFC champ.
I agree with everything but the Pride comment. Yes, Pride had some great fighters, but how many of these great fighters have made it in the cage? I think there was just less talent overall. When Chuck was champ, the talent pool was limited. In the last 3 years the number of top level guys has exploded because of Spike and the show.

Hell, Gracie can't even catch a break because he isn't light years ahead of his opponents anymore. The level has been raised with each title change. Chuck, Rampage, Randy, Tito, none of these guys would last 3 rounds with Jones.

I don't mean Chuck now, I mean Chuck 5 years ago would still get his ass beat like a child.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I agree with everything but the Pride comment. Yes, Pride had some great fighters, but how many of these great fighters have made it in the cage? I think there was just less talent overall. When Chuck was champ, the talent pool was limited. In the last 3 years the number of top level guys has exploded because of Spike and the show.

Hell, Gracie can't even catch a break because he isn't light years ahead of his opponents anymore. The level has been raised with each title change. Chuck, Rampage, Randy, Tito, none of these guys would last 3 rounds with Jones.

I don't mean Chuck now, I mean Chuck 5 years ago would still get his ass beat like a child.

The how about now argument is outdated. They trained for different type of fights. Just look how well UFC fighters fared in Pride. If UFC fell and Pride remained you could flip that argument.
Not to mention - when PRIDE and UFC unified most of PRIDE lhws won. Look at top pride LHWs back when Chuck was king. Wanderlei, Shogun, Rampage, Henderson, Lil Nog. They may not be as good as the current crop of fighters (well Shogun, Rampage and Hendo still are imho) but at the same time look where are the fighters Chuck fought in the UFC.
Randy is not relevant really, Sobral is somewhere but not really relevant. Tito is done, Horn is done.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
When did pride fold? 2006/2007 ish
When was the last pride fight?
How many fighters did pride actually have?

My point is that comparing a fighting organization that ran from 97-2006, and folded 5 years ago, to ufc guys is dumb.

Pride had different rules, and had good fighters, but it's been 5 years.

Who were the UFC champs and unbeatables 5 years ago? Are they still the owners of their belts in their wegiht classes?

A fighters career is typically gonna be pretty short, espescially in a sport so young with so much new talent coming into it from all directions daily. Plus MMA is wildly unpredictable.

How many fighters have really held a title for "that long"?

Fedor held the pride title for heavyweight from December 31st 2004 until pride folded a year or two later and defended his title 3 times.

How long did Matt Hughes dominant the ufc lightweight division? How many title defenses did he have?

Urijah Faber in WEC.....

This sport is so dynamic this stuff is going to change quickly, so comparing a champion from one organization to another and saying one is better than the other because of blah blah blah is silly.

I am so hopped up on dayquil that I lost the poiint of my own post

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm not really comparing the orgs. Simply the LHW division and suggesting that Chuck reigned when most of the people who vere considered good at that weight were in Pride. To proove it I listed fighters who are still relevant. Never wanted to do an UFC vs Pride forum war. We all know Pride was better ;)

also - having many title defences doesn't mean the division is strong. Quite often it means its weak with only 1 strong fighter on top. Ie. like some smaller countries footbal/soccer leagues where the leagure is dominated by one good team and the other ones are mostly irrelevant.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

QFT...

However awsome Pride was, the sport was very young. Not necesary lack of talent btw imo...
Gracie Jiu Jitsu was ruling at the time but only because of the advantage they had over the rest of the field.
Now that everybody knows their secrets the chances are equal again and the younger Gracies arent adapting to the next level.

Still havent seen the fight cause Im travelling but from what Ive read here Shogun was indeed not in shape as some predicted.
A rematch would be nice to see if he can prove people wrong, maybe not enough time to recover after the knee? (wishfull thinking :D) but i dont see that happen since he blew it like this.

Jones VS Silva would be on the top of the list right now, Co Main event together with Valesquez VS Overeem. :)

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Well, looks like mr. wonderful won last night, but not a very impressive win. He's lucky Lil Nog wasn't using his brain and trying to submit him. That fight sucked.

The Zombie was awesome. That sub was friggin cool. Never seen that before.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, looks like mr. wonderful won last night, but not a very impressive win. He's lucky Lil Nog wasn't using his brain and trying to submit him. That fight sucked.

The Zombie was awesome. That sub was friggin cool. Never seen that before.
Yeah, Rogan said that was the first Twister in UFC history.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There was a good article about the Machida vs. Randy fight. Randy coming off some goods wins and Machida having 3 less than stellar last fights. With Machida's quickness against Randy's dirty boxing, it could just be Machida running for his life.

Since this is OFFICIALLY Randy's last fight, I would like to see him go out with an impressive win over a guy who does have a crazy style.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Im not sure if it has been mentioned but GSP is on some special diet + training with a nutritionist guru that makes him 193lbs just before the fight and they plan cutting 23lbs for the fight. Is he preparing for Anderson?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Im not sure if it has been mentioned but GSP is on some special diet + training with a nutritionist guru that makes him 193lbs just before the fight and they plan cutting 23lbs for the fight. Is he preparing for Anderson?
Nah, GSP weighs in at 185. He drops to 170 for fights. That's why him versus BJ Penn was such a mismatch. BJ walks around soaking wet and out of shape at 169. So GSP would cut weight to 170 at weigh in and be almost 15lbs heavier in the fight. ;)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Maybe, a fight with Anderson would be bad ass if he survives Saturday. He knows what happened last time he overlooked someone, I hope he is focused on Saturday or he will get ended quick again.

There was an article a while back about Mack Danzig being vegan and how he has been able to train much harder because of it (I know when he was on TUF everyone thought he was crazy). So a bunch of other fighters have gone vegetarian and have been winning (the Diaz brothers were mentioned in the article) with better training, fewer injuries, and less cutting for fights.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Silva vs GSP is a bad match up for GSP. Silva is HUGE compared to him. They would meet at like 190 as their catch weight. GSP would give up close to 20 pounds and several inches reach. He's not going to take that fight.