Quantcast

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I can't wait to see Diaz vs GSP. That's going to be the first real time that GSP is going to be seriously worried about losing. He hasn't fought anybody that could beat him since he beat Hughes way back in the day after losing to him. Diaz can do it. He's got a weird style of fighting and he can take a punch like a girl from a trailer park. If it goes to the ground, he'll sub GSP. Those Diaz boys are ghetto, but they're hella good fighters.
GSP will beat diaz IMO. He has has done his thing at WW, no one can beat him... time to move up a weight class and make a run for the MW belt. Same with Silva, no one can touch him... move up an make a run at the title at LHW.

I think both guys are capable.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'm excited for the fights tomorrow. Got a buddy coming into town who's just getting into MMA, should be fun.

Leben/Silva: Throw punches much? (Fight of the Night)
Condit/Kim: Stun Gun Gonna Get Tazed. (Knockout of the Night - Condit)
Siver/Wiman: Should be a good technical fight. (Sub of the Night - Siver)
Prediction... Silva is gonna tag Leban. Leban will go into Zombie mode. Leban knocks Silva TFO. :thumb:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Prediction... Silva is gonna tag Leban. Leban will go into Zombie mode. Leban knocks Silva TFO. :thumb:
Zombie mode... Funny because I know exactly what you mean. I imagine Leben will go into zombie mode at some point during that fight, but I don't think it will result in Silva falling into that trap. I'm betting, Silva by decision... and 2 very bloody fighters at the end.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If BJ can't make him tap Diaz won't have a chance.
But Diaz could KO GSP if he catches him. He has KO'ed a lot of dudes with better chins than GSP. I think it will be a good fight and I give Diaz a lot of a chance than others in that class.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I agree, Diaz has a better shot on his feet. I'm not sure but I think Diaz has a reach advantage on GSP which will help him neutralize the jab jab jab jab jab jab strategy that GSP has been using lately.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I agree, Diaz has a better shot on his feet. I'm not sure but I think Diaz has a reach advantage on GSP which will help him neutralize the jab jab jab jab jab jab strategy that GSP has been using lately.
I'll take GSP on his feet over Diaz any day. Same on the ground... diaz can't be any better than BJ with submissions or Hughes for brute strength and ground and pound... I just don't see how he can win it. GSP is going to dominate him, just like he does everyone else... he's just too pro for everyone else in that weight class.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Well...there were some interesting fights...

Guillard's win was nice
Condit's flying knee looked like it hurt...a lot.
Bader made a bad mistake by extending his neck like that.
Wiman has sharp elbows...but no luck with decisions.
Wand seemed to get dazed and left himself open to those vicious uppercuts. One hell of a way to go out...
Faber looked like he decided that Cruz had learned something in 4 years and didn't want any part of it.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Lots of results that I didn't see coming:

(1) Didn't expect to see Silva charge Leben like that... pretty dumb move, wonder if he watched any of his previous tapes.

(2) Thought Tito would get overpowered for sure, but I guess experience won the day there. Bader still has a lot to learn.

(3) Assumed Faber would be able to take it to the ground... guess not, seemed to really struggle in every aspect of that fight.

Entertaining night of fighting for sure.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There is only two opponents left for Anderson Silva, Georges St Pierre and Father Time.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Also Paul Harris - he not only looks like a tree stump, he thinks like it.

The whole card was the best since Looooong time.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A straight jab WILL DROP YOU! If he is not the baddest man on the face of this earth, I don't want to meet who is. He's playing. His shots on the ground were laser straight. You can't hit him and he doesn't miss.

Great card, Shogun looks pissed. I honestly don't see Rampage making it 3 minutes. Shogun will be next in line against Jones.

Maybe Jones can fight Silva at 205.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
A straight jab WILL DROP YOU! If he is not the baddest man on the face of this earth, I don't want to meet who is. He's playing. His shots on the ground were laser straight. You can't hit him and he doesn't miss.

Great card, Shogun looks pissed. I honestly don't see Rampage making it 3 minutes. Shogun will be next in line against Jones.

Maybe Jones can fight Silva at 205.
Getting countered with a jab means much more force than being attacked with one. Plus Silva has insane accuracy. B-Hop explained it nicely in some ufc 133 vid with Rashad.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
There is only two opponents left for Anderson Silva, Georges St Pierre and Father Time.
Amazing that his counter jab/straight is so spot on. Irvin, Griffin, and now Okami have all gotten brutalized by it.

St. Pierre won't move up. I dont think that this fight will happen. Money does talk though...

I dont want to see either of these fights, but Silva is going to rematch Sonnen, and then will get henderson again. I really want to see him fight Bones Jones in about a year. I think that with another year of training that Bones could give him a run for his money.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Amazing that his counter jab/straight is so spot on. Irvin, Griffin, and now Okami have all gotten brutalized by it.

St. Pierre won't move up. I dont think that this fight will happen. Money does talk though...

I dont want to see either of these fights, but Silva is going to rematch Sonnen, and then will get henderson again. I really want to see him fight Bones Jones in about a year. I think that with another year of training that Bones could give him a run for his money.
Sonnen was competitive because he was doping big time. I thought his ground game was good, but he seemed on overdrive.

I don't know how effective the UFC testing program is, but if I was Silva, I wouldn't agree to any rematch unless I knew he was clean.

Bones Jones could be the man who beats Silva, but I agree that he is too raw now.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Sonnen was competitive because he was doping big time. I thought his ground game was good, but he seemed on overdrive.

I don't know how effective the UFC testing program is, but if I was Silva, I wouldn't agree to any rematch unless I knew he was clean.

Bones Jones could be the man who beats Silva, but I agree that he is too raw now.
and you don't think the rest of them are too?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Silva is out of dudes to embarrass at 185. Rematch means same result. Look at what he did to Franklin, twice! Silva was supposed to move to 205 full time. Maybe he will vacate the 185 title and move up to take Jones's title.

I don't see a whole lot of guys for Jones at 205. He hits REAL hard.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
and you don't think the rest of them are too?
Good question, but Sonnen was caught. I don't know how independent the testing is handled, but this is only championship drug test failure that I know of.

Possibly the UFC has been suppressing other failures.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Silva is out of dudes to embarrass at 185. Rematch means same result. Look at what he did to Franklin, twice! Silva was supposed to move to 205 full time. Maybe he will vacate the 185 title and move up to take Jones's title.

I don't see a whole lot of guys for Jones at 205. He hits REAL hard.
That's going to be a tough one. When I think of the thugs in 205, who are heavyweights who can make weight, it is hard to imagine a guy who looks comfortable at 180 moving up.

Still, the middleweights look pretty talentless compared to the Great Spider.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's going to be a tough one. When I think of the thugs in 205, who are heavyweights who can make weight, it is hard to imagine a guy who looks comfortable at 180 moving up.

Still, the middleweights look pretty talentless compared to the Great Spider.
He used to fight at 205 and the 2 fights he stepped up for were done in the first round (Sandman and Forest). The trick would be if Jones can hit him. Silva can take a shot, but how many people have landed shots on him? If Jones hits him square, he would go out. But he would have to hit him to begin with.

Silva is either first or second on the list of least hit dudes in the UFC. Machida is the other elusive bastard.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Good question, but Sonnen was caught. I don't know how independent the testing is handled, but this is only championship drug test failure that I know of.

Possibly the UFC has been suppressing other failures.
I dunno, I used to care more, I haven't had the time or desire to keep up with it as much lately.

I know for quite some time their testing was very lax, and it's pretty easy to figure out, you are on an upcoming card, stop doping.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Spy: okay, i've discovered that rampage is planning to stalk you with little foot movement, and try to counter with powerful looping punches.

Jones: Is he working on anything new, kicks, anything?

Spy: No, not really. Wait... don't get him in a triangle because he's been working on slamming people that get him in triangles.

Jones: That's not new.

Spy: Okay then, no.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I dunno, I used to care more, I haven't had the time or desire to keep up with it as much lately.

I know for quite some time their testing was very lax, and it's pretty easy to figure out, you are on an upcoming card, stop doping.
This reminds me of the problems with Lance.

Has he ever failed a drug test? No.
Were his competitors proven dopers? Yes.

So is Lance just that good he can beat dopers and still race clean?

Is Silva that good that he can beat his competitors without doping? I like to think so.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

Is Silva that good that he can beat his competitors without doping? I like to think so.
I'd like to think so too, but when I followed it very closely years back, and worked out at the gym with a lot of guys who fought, chances are very likely that what you and I would both like to think isn't so true.

I'd venture the same guess for lance.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Silva doesnt really win by overpowering his oponents. Both Chael and Okami were stronger than him. Road cycling is pure fitness so it is a bit different.

As for Overeem vs Brock. **** yeah. Average TDD vs Afraid of being punched.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That's like a gorilla fight freakshow right there. Can Overeem wrestle? If not Brock will just control him and it will be boring.
That is not so 1/0. Even if he cant but manages to hit Brock hard the fight may change fast. Brock has a good jaw but doesnt take hits well and Im pretty sure Overeem hits harder than Carwin.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Silva doesnt really win by overpowering his oponents. Both Chael and Okami were stronger than him. Road cycling is pure fitness so it is a bit different.

As for Overeem vs Brock. **** yeah. Average TDD vs Afraid of being punched.
I think cardiovascular fitness is critical for fighting. Get into the ring, and even just light taps, most people are wheezing by the end of the first round.

Every fighter has to run 3-5 miles a day before starting their normal workouts. And the workouts I've seen, are not simply weightlifting.

Sure, Chael & Okami could bench more weight than Silva, but the overall package is what wins fights.