Quantcast

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
That is not so 1/0. Even if he cant but manages to hit Brock hard the fight may change fast. Brock has a good jaw but doesnt take hits well and Im pretty sure Overeem hits harder than Carwin.
Difference is that Carwin can wrestle, and so can Cain... both quite well. If overeem can't wrestle, then it's over for him. We all know how these fights go... i.e. pure kickboxer vs pure wrestler.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Difference is that Carwin can wrestle, and so can Cain... both quite well. If overeem can't wrestle, then it's over for him. We all know how these fights go... i.e. pure kickboxer vs pure wrestler.
in most cases yes but still how many elite strikers brock has faced? ;)

Also - Nick Diaz. Just Wow. That was stupid.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What did Diaz do? I must have missed that one.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-iole_ufc_stpierre_diaz_090711

UFC president Dana White made the dramatic move Wednesday to yank Diaz from a welterweight championship bout against Georges St. Pierre that would have topped the card at UFC 137 on Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas about 10 minutes before a bizarre news conference began in the deserted arena.

White opened the news conference by recounting the chain of events of the last several days. He noted how Diaz missed two flights to Toronto, another to Las Vegas and how he couldn’t be certain Diaz would show up for the fight.

White said he has promoted more than 1,600 fights in his career and this is the first time a main-event fighter has failed to show up for a news conference. Worse, White called Diaz after Diaz had missed a Monday afternoon Air Canada flight from San Francisco to Toronto. According to White, Diaz apologized and White had him rebooked on a flight later that night.

“He lied to my face,” White said.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was really looking forward to the Nick Diaz fight. I met the guy and I liked his fighting style.

I guess smoking pot is more important than a six figure payday.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was really looking forward to the Nick Diaz fight. I met the guy and I liked his fighting style.

I guess smoking pot is more important than a six figure payday.
:stupid:

Wow, he must get some really good pot in Stockton. I had no idea.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Just one, back in October. ;)
I still think that wrestling will win over striking any time. It is all about control.
That is true in most cases but not if you go fetal after being hit. It will not really be a case of who is better but rather is overeem TDD better than Brocks fear of getting punched.

As for Diaz - he allways claimed he never backs down and fights for money. I could sympathise with someone else having a social anxiety problem. I know it can be serious but if you try to look like a hardcore pot smockin 209 badass you should live up to that image.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
As for Diaz - he allways claimed he never backs down and fights for money. I could sympathise with someone else having a social anxiety problem. I know it can be serious but if you try to look like a hardcore pot smockin 209 badass you should live up to that image.
I thought pot was good for treating social anxiety. :confused:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-137-fight-card-updates?137

If UFC fans didn't get enough blockbuster news this week, company President Dana White delivered some more Thursday evening with the announcement that Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz is not only remaining in the UFC fold after being pulled from his UFC 137 title bout with Georges St-Pierre (due to missing two pre-fight press conferences this week) but that he will still be fighting on October 29th. The opponent for the Stockton native's first Octagon bout since 2006? Former two division world champion BJ Penn.

The bout came to fruition after Penn's original foe for the UFC 137 event in Las Vegas, Carlos Condit, was moved up to replace Diaz against GSP. And by popular demand, White made the new bout happen, tweeting "This is crazy but here we go again! You wanted it so you got it. Penn vs Diaz Oct 29th in Vegas."

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
What? So they swapped opponents. I will say this though, the new matches make more sense than the original ones. I like Condit against GSP better than I like diaz vs GSP...Diaz vs BJ sounds great though, that should be a great fight. I hope it turns into a BJJ match but I know it wont.

Predictions... Condit gets controlled by a much stronger GSP. And BJ nullifies Diaz's ground game while massively out-boxing him.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
What? So they swapped opponents. I will say this though, the new matches make more sense than the original ones. I like Condit against GSP better than I like diaz vs GSP...Diaz vs BJ sounds great though, that should be a great fight. I hope it turns into a BJJ match but I know it wont.

Predictions... Condit gets controlled by a much stronger GSP. And BJ nullifies Diaz's ground game while massively out-boxing him.
Agree on both accounts..

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

I would like to see nothing more than BJ stand with Diaz. Diaz has serious ground skills, though. We all know what Penn can do. If Diaz catches him, he's going out.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Bitchmove by Dana...
Actually the only smart move. Cutting Diaz would be unreasonable. Some other org would use him to boost their ratings and having someone as unreliable as a main eventer is also a problem. If you cant be sure your emploee will show up to work it is hard not to fire him so i think he found a sweetspot in punishing Diaz witha a lose- lose situation.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ah, got it.

According to UFC President Dana White, Nick Diaz is now a UFC fighter and has vacated his Strikeforce welterweight belt to get a shot at UFC champion Georges St-Pierre (but now fighting BJ Penn).

White stated that Diaz could go back to Strikeforce at some point in the future if he chose, but for now he is strictly a UFC fighter.

As for the Strikeforce welterweight belt, White said that two fighters from that organization will fight later this year to determine a new champion.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Actually the only smart move. Cutting Diaz would be unreasonable. Some other org would use him to boost their ratings and having someone as unreliable as a main eventer is also a problem. If you cant be sure your emploee will show up to work it is hard not to fire him so i think he found a sweetspot in punishing Diaz witha a lose- lose situation.
Meh, not after Danas big mouth about ditching Diaz. I think this is sending the wrong message...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Meh, not after Danas big mouth about ditching Diaz. I think this is sending the wrong message...
He gets a bit emotional but in the end UCI (not sure if Dana himself) make rational decisions. He gets a lot of flak but behind all that smack they run it like a business.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Amazing to see Jones dismantle Rampage, while once again taking no real punishment himself. Jones has been on another level for his last 4 or 5 fights, just dominating and controlling every aspect of the fight.

Good show by Nate Diaz too.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Amazing to see Jones dismantle Rampage, while once again taking no real punishment himself. Jones has been on another level for his last 4 or 5 fights, just dominating and controlling every aspect of the fight.

That dude scared the sh!t out of me. 3" height on Rampage and 11.5" more reach? Young and still learning, freak of nature.

Anderson Silva might be sooner than later for this dude.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Rampage didn't train with lanky guys. Yeah game planning sucks. He is great defensively but on the offensive page lately is crap. He has good technique but no agression and barely punches. It's like he looks for his oponents to hit their heads against his fist.
Though imho Page showed that Jones is beatable. You can stuff his TDs and you can defend his attacks. He wasn't really beaten like shogun. Just didn't know how to attack him. I'd love to see Hendo vs Jones. Hendo has nothing to loose and he wouldn't be scared even if they told him to fight a pack of raptors in the cage.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Rampage didn't train with lanky guys. Yeah game planning sucks. He is great defensively but on the offensive page lately is crap. He has good technique but no agression and barely punches. It's like he looks for his oponents to hit their heads against his fist.
Though imho Page showed that Jones is beatable. You can stuff his TDs and you can defend his attacks. He wasn't really beaten like shogun. Just didn't know how to attack him. I'd love to see Hendo vs Jones. Hendo has nothing to loose and he wouldn't be scared even if they told him to fight a pack of raptors in the cage.
Jones hits pretty damn hard, though. The worst part is this kid is progressing at an alarming rate. He's lanky, he's fast, he hits hard, and he will likely get better.

Not saying he can't be beat, but how many dudes have I thought would give Silva a run only to wind up done before he broke a sweat? I think Jones will be champ for a while unless he gets lazy. 84.5" reach, seriously. Who can get inside that?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The most damage Jones got was self-inflicted. That spinning elbow straight to the top of the head had to hurt (as evidenced by the huge icepack on it post-fight in the locker room).
Hurt yes but it was really the best place to be hit. Much better than the back or site of the head.

As for Jones progressing - he was noticably tired in the latter half of the 3rd round. I wonder how long can he stay at LHW. At hw he will have problems with big wrestlers, hard hitters and long reach overeem.

As for Jones hitting hard - I don't think he hits hard. He hits a lot and elbows are always bad but look how many super flashy moves he has to do every fight to finish an oponent. A hard hitting oponent doesnt need a bazzilion of knees and elbows to finish someone. He knows how to damage someone but that is not hitting hard.
Hard hitting = Carwin, Page, kida AS (more like B-Hop like perfect timing an accuracy but one punch ko is always possible with him)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Hurt yes but it was really the best place to be hit. Much better than the back or site of the head.

As for Jones progressing - he was noticably tired in the latter half of the 3rd round. I wonder how long can he stay at LHW. At hw he will have problems with big wrestlers, hard hitters and long reach overeem.

As for Jones hitting hard - I don't think he hits hard. He hits a lot and elbows are always bad but look how many super flashy moves he has to do every fight to finish an oponent. A hard hitting oponent doesnt need a bazzilion of knees and elbows to finish someone. He knows how to damage someone but that is not hitting hard.
Hard hitting = Carwin, Page, kida AS (more like B-Hop like perfect timing an accuracy but one punch ko is always possible with him)
And rampage with the stand in 1 place and take small steps forward technique. Really working well for him lately.

:rolleyes:

Diaz looked good. As did Huges till he got caught, I was pulling for him there. Oh well.