Quantcast

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Laughed when I was reading Sherdogs recap of this past weekends Moosin MMA fights, and saw this pic showing the womens fight that was on the card....

Holy Diver! :p

Way too many funny captions for this....

Looking forward to this weekends Rampage/Evans match up!
Wow...Sylvia looked way better in his UFC fights cause he had to cut to 265...now he just looks like a fat, white Shaq compared to some of his opponents...6'8" 305...bleh. 60-Gassed in 4.9 seconds...new record!!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I hope this Rashad/Rampage fight doesn't end up being lay n pray. I'm thinking Quinton has the better ground game and better ground n pound. I don't think the fight is going to make it past the 2nd round. Rampage via TKO. Rashad hasn't fought anybody good other than Machida (which he lost to) and Thiago Silva (who he just layed on and played it safe with) and Liddell on his downward spiral. I can only remember Rampage losing to Wand twice, and Forrest in the last 7 years. I'm really just hoping for an interesting fight. Either way, I hope Shogun beats the winner of this fight.

Speaking of Anderson, he better beat Chael. I hope that's a good fight. It'll be good to see Silva actually fighting someone for once. Chael will actually bring the fight and not just lay on the floor.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I hope this Rashad/Rampage fight doesn't end up being lay n pray. I'm thinking Quinton has the better ground game and better ground n pound. I don't think the fight is going to make it past the 2nd round. Rampage via TKO. Rashad hasn't fought anybody good other than Machida (which he lost to) and Thiago Silva (who he just layed on and played it safe with) and Liddell on his downward spiral. I can only remember Rampage losing to Wand twice, and Forrest in the last 7 years. I'm really just hoping for an interesting fight. Either way, I hope Shogun beats the winner of this fight.

Speaking of Anderson, he better beat Chael. I hope that's a good fight. It'll be good to see Silva actually fighting someone for once. Chael will actually bring the fight and not just lay on the floor.
If these guys had been training the same, this would be one of my "must-see" fights.

But I'm pretty sure that Rashad, who I dislike in fighting style and personality, is killing himself in the gym, and Rampage is probably enjoying the hollywood lifestyle.

You need to be extremely focused to training at maximum capacity, and I just don't see how Rampage can train.

Take Gina Carano as an example (although Cyborg is on the same med program as McGwire and Landis).

As for the Silva fight, it is being fought just across the bridge from me, and I also want to see Fat F*** Nelson get pounded, I hope by Junior Dos Santos.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So is it:

Cha-ellllll

K-elllllll

or

Kal-el

I'm confused. A drunk chick tried to pronounce it correctly during UFC 113 but those were the 3 most memorable pronunciations....

Plz hlp.

kthxbai.
Michael without the Mi? He's from the Redneck suburb of Portland. They aren't too smart on the whole name thing.

Forest tried to bring the fight and got met with a few sharp shots to the skull. I can't say or not if it was all Forest not being ready or whatever, but he has never been that embarrassed before. Rampage, Shogun, Tito, Evans, these were pretty epic fights. But Silva dismantled him in seconds.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I love UFC, but having your temple exposed is like having a reset button next to the B button on an arcade game. In any given match, a random shot can end the game and wipe out your high score.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Maybe its just me, but as a Judoka, after watching a few of Anderson Silva's fights, he seems to have huge holes in his ground work technique. He missed many opportunities in any fight I watched when he went to ground. I would have thought he would be alot more apt on the ground seeing as he's got a black belt in brazillian jiu-jitsu and Judo? I've only just starting doing MMA but is there somewhat of a sentiment that steers fighters away from strangles, arm locks and other joint manipulation on the ground in favour of strikes?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Maybe its just me, but as a Judoka, after watching a few of Anderson Silva's fights, he seems to have huge holes in his ground work technique. He missed many opportunities in any fight I watched when he went to ground. I would have thought he would be alot more apt on the ground seeing as he's got a black belt in brazillian jiu-jitsu and Judo? I've only just starting doing MMA but is there somewhat of a sentiment that steers fighters away from strangles, arm locks and other joint manipulation on the ground in favour of strikes?
My friend who has now won 3 MMA bets from me has also said similar. He thinks that Sonnen's style is superior to Silva's, which I suppose I have to agree. But while style match-ups are important, I think fitness, skill, and a list of intangibles are more important, especially when you are talking about Anderson Silva.

I don't think there is a preference for fighting style. Based on my general knowledge of most of the top UFC fighters, a lot of them come from either wrestling or striking disciplines.

I personally like to see a Judo fighter do well, but it seems without a Gi, you are severely limited in a MMA fight. Still, I enjoy watching a crazy flip more than a brawl.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I personally like to see a Judo fighter do well, but it seems without a Gi, you are severely limited in a MMA fight. Still, I enjoy watching a crazy flip more than a brawl.
That's why I like watching Karo Parisyan. He can hip toss anyone.

The bitch about Silva is he's tough to hit. You see so many guys miss, yet he is dead on accurate. Just rewatch the 30 seconds of carnage he did to Forest.

He got hit maybe 3 times with his hands down and his chin out.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
It'll be interesting to see CHael fight Silva. Watch the take down defense of Silva. He's not as slow as he used to be. He's super fast against all of those BJJ clowns that he's fought recently.
I think one reason Silva doesn't do anything with subs is because he just prefers to beat the fighters up instead of subbing them. When your confidence is in the heavens like his, you want to finish certain ways because you know you can. You just won't go for the first opportunity that comes up.
CHael has a good style to fight Silva. But i don't know how much he'll be able to do when Silva has him in the figure four from the bottom.
I also think Silva is going to kill him standing up. Probably round 2. It'll be the same way he picked apart Chris Leben. Leben brings the fight. He brought it, and got demolished. Nobody knocks that fat head out. Silva had no problem at all. I also think that Chael running his mouth has gotten Silva's attention. Silva might come out to prove a point--that he's still got it and there's a reason he's the champ.

A-NON-A

Chimp
May 4, 2010
Inland Empire, Ca
I cant wait for Saturday. My hope is that Rampage destroys Rashad but there are too many things telling me that it aint gonna happen.

1. Rampage I sure has been training hard but he has had a fairly long hiatus while filming his movie.

2. Rampage has looked so-so at best for awhile now... although he is quite capable of dropping Rashad.

3. Rashad has the secret weapon in his corner. Greg Jackson and the magic nipple tweak.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So A. Silva owns the middleweight division, he announced that he's going to drop down and take out GSP at welterweight. And he's going to move up and take out shogun as well.

Holy shizz.
He was supposed to move up to 205 and the 185 title was going up for grabs (since nobody can beat him). I don't see him cutting to 170, but I guess he could.

I would rather see him at 205 just because there are so many solid 205's. As long as he quits clowning, Dana will give him anything he wants.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Word. I don't think he'd be very good at 170. I think he'd be too tired from cutting weight. I think he should just be fighting at 205 from now on.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Let me say I want to see Rampage put his fist into Rashad's chest and pull his beating heart out.

No more talk. Fight!

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Not as bad as some people say me thinks...
Round 1 and 2 were kinda slow but 3 was pretty good imo.
Jackson shouldve gone after him after Rashad was rocked and he might have had a chance...

Now I wanna see Shogun beat Evans and then Anderson "the clown" Silva.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
easy Rashad victory.
I wouldn't really say it was an easy victory for Rashad. He was afraid of Rampage. That's why he was constantly trying to take him down for some lay and pray and points. That's the reason I hate the cage. I hate when guys just hug and push up against it like Couture. In PRIDE, they had to rely on other techniques instead of that. Same with DREAM.
Rashad almost got knocked out in round 3. Too bad Rampage just couldn't do it. Gotta give it to Rashad though. He was fast as hell for a 205er and his post fight interview with Rogan was mellow and classy.
Rampage's problem was that he's becoming way too one dimensional. He doesn't go for slams like he used to, he doesn't ever do submissions, and he never kicks. There were tons of times when he could've kicked Rashad's leg or tried for the head kicks. But he's just too one dimensional these days.

A-NON-A

Chimp
May 4, 2010
Inland Empire, Ca
Overall it was a decent night of fights. I enjoyed the upsets being this was a card so stacked with quality fighters that were fighting lesser knowns.

Does anyone know if Dana commented on the Lil Nog fight at the Post Fight Coneference??? There was no way Nog won that fight.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wouldn't really say it was an easy victory for Rashad. He was afraid of Rampage. That's why he was constantly trying to take him down for some lay and pray and points. That's the reason I hate the cage. I hate when guys just hug and push up against it like Couture. In PRIDE, they had to rely on other techniques instead of that. Same with DREAM.
Rashad almost got knocked out in round 3. Too bad Rampage just couldn't do it. Gotta give it to Rashad though. He was fast as hell for a 205er and his post fight interview with Rogan was mellow and classy.
Rampage's problem was that he's becoming way too one dimensional. He doesn't go for slams like he used to, he doesn't ever do submissions, and he never kicks. There were tons of times when he could've kicked Rashad's leg or tried for the head kicks. But he's just too one dimensional these days.
I would not say Rashad or any fighter is afraid when they step into the ring. But, on that note, Rashad's style is not what I like.

He knows that duck-n-cover is going to work great on almost every opponent because he is lightning-quick. Without a doubt, Rashad is the fastest ground man over 200lbs.

I've seen ground guys grapple and point up without doing any real damage. I hate watching that kind of fighting, but it does win fights.

I predicted that Rampage would lose because of ring rust. Maybe he will never regain his old form, but when he was on top of Rashad, I had jumped off the couch and started throwing air punches into an imaginary Rashad. Pretty silly I admit, but that is the kind of reaction from Rampage fans that Rashad will never receive.

I came in during Mini-Nogueira and Brilz, and I thought Rodrigo was fighting Matt Hughes! I was also shocked on how well Melvin Guillard fought. He has been a huge letdown in the past, but he looked great. I do think his dancing-stance looks like he is in a Second Line Parade in New Orleans.

But Duffee-Russow fight was so bad, I have to comment. Russow looked as out-of-shape as Duffee looked fit. But after the first round, Russow initiated all the action, and Duffee was satisfied with one punch exchanges.

We thought Duffee had broken his right hand, which would have limited his aggression, but I also said, "Did he break both of his feet too?" Maybe I don't know much about MMA, but a leg kick seems easy to execute even without much training, and the one kick I saw seemed to almost cripple Russow.

Russow, who looked for most of the fight like he deciding whether to spend his fight purse at Sizzler or Red Lobster, was really embarrassing. You'd think the UFC would be able to find guys who want to train.

By the third round, I was saying Dana White should cut both these guys when Russow lands a lucky punch and clocks Duffee. Joe Rogan said this is one of the greatest knockouts, but Duffee had shown no aggressive for 10 minutes and was asking to be knocked out.

A-NON-A

Chimp
May 4, 2010
Inland Empire, Ca
when Russow lands a lucky punch and clocks Duffee. Joe Rogan said this is one of the greatest knockouts, but Duffee had shown no aggressive for 10 minutes and was asking to be knocked out.
I completely agree. Joe Rogan has turned into such a corporate monkey its ridiculous.( I realize he is EMPLOYED by the UFC) but in the past he always gave honest realistic commentary and insight to the fights. Now it seems more often than not he is exagerating every statement to sell us the UFC product.

Guys we have never heard of are suddenly WORLD CLASS, KO'S are the greatest ever, etc, etc...

Last night we were all mocking his Russow KO as one of the greatest ever. You would have thought it was the first time anyone had ever been KO'd.

Russow definitely had a chin which may be the only reason Joe Silva/Dana White put him in there, as it definitely wasnt for his physique. I would guess that they were probably trying to set Dufee up for another win as he had alot of media coming into the fight, including the cover of Muscle and Fitness..... I guess at least he looked good going down :rofl:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I would not say Rashad or any fighter is afraid when they step into the ring.
I'm not saying he was afraid to fight, I'm saying he was afraid of that one hit power that Rampage could've finished it up with if he actually would've tried last night or had some stamina.

I'm getting really tired of these top fights and title fights where neither fighter wants to take any chances. Those guys aren't nearly as exciting as the up and comers. THose guys are trying hard to get sub of the night or knockout of the night. I like seeing the guys on UFC fight night. Those guys are fighting way harder than some of the top guys. THey're trying to make some money and get their career on the road. Hugging against the cage friggin sucks. So does lay n pray. They really need to start standing those guys up and yellow card them like in PRIDE. If the fight got boring, they'd card the guy that was stalling and take away 10% of his fight purse.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I'm sorry if I got it wrong.

I think you have to expect a more conservative style of fighting when you have two champion-quality fighters against each other.

You might be right about the less known fighters going for broke, but I think the best have fewer holes and are waiting to exploit a weakness, so you need to be careful, not all out.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You might be right about the less known fighters going for broke, but I think the best have fewer holes and are waiting to exploit a weakness, so you need to be careful, not all out.
That's why I prefer college football to pros. But not all guys are like that. Look a the guys fighting in the lighter classes, they are often much more engaging.

I understand being cautious, but when all you do is circle and clinch, I get bored.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
That's why I prefer college football to pros. But not all guys are like that. Look a the guys fighting in the lighter classes, they are often much more engaging.

I understand being cautious, but when all you do is circle and clinch, I get bored.
:imstupid:

That's why I don't like the cage. It allows those guys (Couture) to do that the whole damn fight. But it's also the other fighter's fault for not knowing how to get out of that situation.
I just get really irritated when the "fight" becomes a "wrestling match" or "Ultimate Hugging" as one of the guys from work calls it.
THey really need to break them up more often and yellow card their asses for stalling. People are paying good money to see good fight.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I think it's funny how you guys are so concerned with a dude's physique when he is playing tummy sticks with another dude.

I'm a big fan of MMA and couldn't care less that Tim Sylvia is out of shape based on appearance, or Fedor, or his little brother alexander, or Roy Nelson, or BJ Penn, etc. I care that they know how to fight and can win.

As for all the hugging and lay and pray and tummy sticks, I don't want to see the fight stood back up, I want to see the fighter have points taken away for stalling in a slightly quicker fashion. Sure, a knockout is exciting, but so is a submission. Grappling is a large part of MMA, if you don't like it than watch kickboxing or boxing.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
As for all the hugging and lay and pray and tummy sticks, I don't want to see the fight stood back up, I want to see the fighter have points taken away for stalling in a slightly quicker fashion. Sure, a knockout is exciting, but so is a submission. Grappling is a large part of MMA, if you don't like it than watch kickboxing or boxing.
I think you are confusing "grappling" with "lay and pray". I have nothing against a guy who is working to advance a position, or trying for a takedown/sub against the cage or on the ground. But when all you are doing is leaning on the guy for 90+ seconds, you need a restart.

If you haven't moved in 30 seconds, it's time for the ref to step in.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think it's funny how you guys are so concerned with a dude's physique when he is playing tummy sticks with another dude.

I'm a big fan of MMA and couldn't care less that Tim Sylvia is out of shape based on appearance, or Fedor, or his little brother alexander, or Roy Nelson, or BJ Penn, etc. I care that they know how to fight and can win.

Body fat is the primary reason why Heavyweight, the premier class in boxing for its knockout power, is actually the worst class in MMA.

Agility and speed are king in MMA, and since you can't clinch up like boxing, it is harder to hide poor fitness against a good opponent who can stand up and ground-n-pound.

Without a doubt, the most dangerous division is light heavyweight, 205lbs. When I see guys like Liddell, Rampage, Shogun; they look like they could rip your arm off. And Evans crushed the Heavyweights in TUF.

But what makes me turn off the TV is seeing two bad heavyweights. For some reason, it seems like the skill level is the lowest for that class, and I'm not interested in seeing two oversized men sweating on each other. I see enough of that in San Francisco already.

Fitness counts:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I think you are confusing "grappling" with "lay and pray". I have nothing against a guy who is working to advance a position, or trying for a takedown/sub against the cage or on the ground. But when all you are doing is leaning on the guy for 90+ seconds, you need a restart.

If you haven't moved in 30 seconds, it's time for the ref to step in.
I agree with what you are saying and understand, but rather than the ref step in and change position I think they should just start taking points like they do in high school wrestling. Considering the UFC scores on the 10 point round it wouldn't take long for a fighter to lose a match by stalling, so it could/should be a pretty motivating method of avoiding the stalling.

I will also say the american MMA fan in general is a little too impatient and doesn't respect the grappling aspect of the game. (I am not saying you are this way, just saying it seems to be a common theme)

Body fat is the primary reason why Heavyweight, the premier class in boxing for its knockout power, is actually the worst class in MMA.

Agility and speed are king in MMA, and since you can't clinch up like boxing, it is harder to hide poor fitness against a good opponent who can stand up and ground-n-pound.

Without a doubt, the most dangerous division is light heavyweight, 205lbs. When I see guys like Liddell, Rampage, Shogun; they look like they could rip your arm off. And Evans crushed the Heavyweights in TUF.

But what makes me turn off the TV is seeing two bad heavyweights. For some reason, it seems like the skill level is the lowest for that class, and I'm not interested in seeing two oversized men sweating on each other. I see enough of that in San Francisco already.

Fitness counts:

You're confusing fitness and physiques, you're confusing % body fat with fitness, you are confusing fighting ability with physiques and % bodyfat. I think you are just confused.

Sure fitness counts, but body fat and someones physical appearance doesn't mean ****.

How'd the ripped guy do here?
Dailymotion - Aleksander emelianenko vs james thompson - une vidéo Sports et Extrême@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video@@AMEPARAM@@video

Sure stefan struve doesn't have much skill, but he "looks" like he is in better shape than nelson right? So by that logic he should be able to beat the fat slob?

Since Kimbo looked like a bad dude Nelson shoulda lost there too right?

Is this guy in shape enough?

Nelson beat him.

This guys physique looks pretty good....oh yeah, nelson beat him too

Another nelson casualty

I don't feel like digging all over the net for hours finding fat guys who beat up ripped guys, but the point is not all good fighters look like Josh Koscheck or GSP.

And quite frankly so long as they come out and display skill and can win fights, I don't give a **** what they look like.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hey, I don't care about muscle definition either. Liddell and Rampage are not exactly the body beautiful, and neither is Shogun.

Frankly, after watching heavyweights for during the Arlosky-Sylvia era, I have given up for now.

I haven't watched any of Nelson's fights, but I have to believe he is fighting against the poorly skilled.

You say otherwise, I will have to believe you.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nelson has talent, no doubt. But he's not the ideal poster boy for the sport. I'm waiting for him to get sponsored by Arby's and Keystone Light.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Hey, I don't care about muscle definition either. Liddell and Rampage are not exactly the body beautiful, and neither is Shogun.
You seem concerned about it in your posts.

I haven't watched any of Nelson's fights, but I have to believe he is fighting against the poorly skilled.

You say otherwise, I will have to believe you.
I don't say otherwise. What I've said is he has beaten guys with better bodies (paraphrasing you here) and less skill than he had. I don't think Nelson is the next heavy weight champ, I think nelson is a decent fighter who despite his gut does have some skills, and has beaten other guys who appeared to be in better shape. He was the champ of that IFL league, but obviously those were 2nd tier fighters, but he was the best heavyweight in the group, and he did win the reality show, which has proven to produce decent fighters, so he has a chance. Point being appearance doesn't mean anything.

Nelson has talent, no doubt. But he's not the ideal poster boy for the sport. I'm waiting for him to get sponsored by Arby's and Keystone Light.
hahahahahaha :rofl::D:D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't care about definition, I care about good fights.

When I see a big fat dude in the octagon, I don't think I am watching a good fight.

I watch a moderate amount of TUF, and after the first few fights, usually you see some decent battles. Maybe these guys are not at the peak of their development, but you can see the developing strengths and weaknesses.

Considering the top 4 fighters coming out of the two HW TUF's were a true light heavyweight, a chump, an ex-football player, and Roy Nelson.

If you look at the fighters coming from the other seasons, several have been in the mix after the show.

Maybe Roy Nelson is not as bad as I think, but it seems like the HW division is.