Quantcast

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
Really good showing by both Lesnar and Carwin. Carwin definitely rocked lesnar early but Brock hung in and the ref was correct in NOT stopping the fight in first round. Beauty arm triangle in the second. Half guard - fullmount - side control - squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!

Lights out:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
look at the man. he's a tank.
have any of carwins other opponents taken that many hits to the head? nothing upstairs in brocks head.

he winks at brock to start the second round and gets choked out.....that was the extent of his offense in the second round.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
lesnar can take a couple 100 punches
That was ridiculous, he got hit with everything including Carwins kitchen sink and still managed to get up and if there was 1minute left in the first he had carwin against the fence and ready to take him down...

Now theres 2 things I fear hitting in my truck a bear and lesnar....:eek:

We knew Lesnar isn a boxxer but to withstand that barrage and keep it together Im IMPRESSED... Considering all Carwins opponents till now took ALOT less direct punches and fell.. Hell Brock took em all and knees and still maintained..... total BEAST not to say hes indestructable but the mans a monster...

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I didn't get to see the fights, but i heard they were really good this time around. I'll be watching them tomorrow. I read about it. Sounds like Brock did a good job and actually had a mellow interview after the fight. If that's the case, I don't hate him. I just can't stand the mouth on him when he gets all wound up.
Man, i don't know if Cain stands a chance. Never know though. He's a scrappy a$$ mexican that can move like a light HW. It'll definitely be a david vs goliath fight.

I heard that Lytle should've won the sub of the night though.

Sounds like James Toney is going to be fighting Couture in August. Don't know about that one. If Randy can get in close, it should be over. But it'll only take one punch from Toney.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Brock took some serious shots at first, but Carwin punched himself out real bad about 3 minute in. But they stopped the Coture fight after fewer shots.

I still think Carwin could beat him. The choke was awesome, but not half as good as Lytle's choke + arm bar combo from hell. That was a clinic!

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Dont know if Carwin couldve beat him... He unloaded on Brock and it didnt even seem to rock him that hard :S
Dana needs to get Overeem in the UFC (asuming hell make it past Werdum) and put him in a ring with Mir or Carwin to see if hes worth shot at Lesnar. I think its gonna take a big guy with solid standup to soften Brock up, and then a good ground game to finish him off with an armbar or something. I dont see Lesnar getting K.O.d by anyone.

Overeem seems to fit the profile, now Dana has to step up to the plate...

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Don't really know why Overeem hasn't been in the UFC yet. Kinda weird. He must be making some bank fighting over seas. I couldn't imagine him not wanting to fight in the UFC. More money, better fights. I think he'll be able to walk through Werdum. He'll knock him silly and keep forcing him to stand up. Werdum doesn't have good take downs at all. He wouldn't be able to get Alistair to the ground unless it's the way Fedor did it.

I think Cain has a chance against Brock. He's fast and scrappy. He attacks from some weird angles too. Anything can happen. I was just thinking that Carwin would've been the best fight for Brock thus far since Brock hadn't really fought too many guys yet. Especially none his size.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I finally saw the fight between Lesnar and Carwin. Not a bad fight. Brock did pretty good at surviving and trying to actually do something from the bottom a few times. Carwin just should've paced himself when Brock hit the floor.
I hope Dain beats Brock. Carwin proved that Brock isn't invincible and that he can be beaten. Carwin just didn't have the cardio to do it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I finally saw the fight between Lesnar and Carwin. Not a bad fight. Brock did pretty good at surviving and trying to actually do something from the bottom a few times. Carwin just should've paced himself when Brock hit the floor.
I hope Dain beats Brock. Carwin proved that Brock isn't invincible and that he can be beaten. Carwin just didn't have the cardio to do it.
:stupid:

He punched himself out with shots that didn't do much. But he hit him with a few early that you could tell rocked him. Lesnar likes to talk like he wasn't rocked, but the look on his face said otherwise.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga

Lesnar likes to talk like he wasn't rocked, but the look on his face said otherwise.
Not at all. Watch the post fight press conference...Lesnar says the exact opposite. He said Carwin rocked him good and he would not have been the least bit surprised if the ref stopped the fight...he says he even expected the ref to stop the fight when he was on the ground but just kept moving (as instructed by the ref pre-match..."you gotta show me something that you're still in this fight".) Lesnar was the most humble i've heard him after this fight.

EDIT - WIN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JhUu5Ohp8A&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JhUu5Ohp8A&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not at all. Watch the post fight press conference...Lesnar says the exact opposite. He said Carwin rocked him good and he would not have been the least bit surprised if the ref stopped the fight...he says he even expected the ref to stop the fight when he was on the ground but just kept moving (as instructed by the ref pre-match..."you gotta show me something that you're still in this fight".) Lesnar was the most humble i've heard him after this fight.

EDIT - WIN!
I just watched the interview in the ring, I didn't watch the press conference. Watching a post fight "press conference" always sounds funny to me. I honestly have no idea where to watch one if I were so inclined.

Of course he's the most humble he's ever been. You think Dana, the brothers, or the sponsors would tolerate his big time wrasling antics again?

<edit> At :30 "I wasn't hurt" yet he was on the ground and not sure why? Interesting perspective.

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I just watched the interview in the ring, I didn't watch the press conference. Watching a post fight "press conference" always sounds funny to me. I honestly have no idea where to watch one if I were so inclined.

Of course he's the most humble he's ever been. You think Dana, the brothers, or the sponsors would tolerate his big time wrasling antics again?

<edit> At :30 "I wasn't hurt" yet he was on the ground and not sure why? Interesting perspective.
The Brothers Karamazov?? ;)

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga

I enjoy watching some of the post-pressers...fighters perspective.

IMHO difference between being 'rocked' and hurt. Haha, i know like im splitting hairs here just to be a d!ck, but i'm not (completely). :D Describing the punch as "hurricane katrina" and saying the next thing you knew you were on the ground is different then broken orbital/nose or something like a temple shot. He certainly acknowledges the power of the punches at first, which is much more then can be said for what the 'old brock' would have admitted.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
That vid is a good find. You can tell that Brock was rocked because he got jacked by that short uppercut and came up off his feet. Then he was running away from Shane for about 20 seconds. Props to him for winning and keeping a mellow attitude. If he beats Cain, I think the second fight with Carwin will be interesting because Carwin will make sure he finishes if he gets the opportunity.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Just watched the interview... wow, very different Brock attitude. Being really sick like that may have humbled him a bit. I like the new attitude.

Funny that DW said, "we're going to make an example of James Toney". I'm personally kind of worried about that fight. That guy's hands are dangerous and he's most dangerous up close. Randy likes to get in close and throw punches... I think Toney is going to be better in that situation than people think. Couture needs to take him to the ground immediately.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just watched the interview... wow, very different Brock attitude. Being really sick like that may have humbled him a bit. I like the new attitude.
I think it has more to do with "you don't get paid if you mention Coor's again", but it is nice to see him drop the WWE persona.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Maybe Brock has just learned a thing or 2 training with martial arts people. Its probably a whole different world then the rasling world.

Indeed Carwin ran out of gas ( maybe he should become a full time MMA fighter in stead of part time :P), but he unloaded on Brock with all he had, and he probably has one of the heaviest hands in the UFC.
I dont see anyone taking the belt from Brock for a while, hell just finish everyone on the ground. I think its gonna take a "freak" like him to even the odds. Thats why I wanna see Dana talk to Ubereem...

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Don't dismiss Cain so quickly. He's got a good chance at beating Brock. That dude is a good striker and he's fast for a HW. If he can get in there and just move around like Frankie Edgar the whole time, Brock will have a hard time grabbing him. If Cain hits him hard and takes him down, he might not know what to do off his back. He looked a little lost when Carwin had him on his back. Should be interesting. At least now people know that Brock isn't some invincible Cyborg.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Don't dismiss Cain so quickly. He's got a good chance at beating Brock. That dude is a good striker and he's fast for a HW. If he can get in there and just move around like Frankie Edgar the whole time, Brock will have a hard time grabbing him. If Cain hits him hard and takes him down, he might not know what to do off his back. He looked a little lost when Carwin had him on his back. Should be interesting. At least now people know that Brock isn't some invincible Cyborg.
Anyone who fights Brock that is smaller than him has about 20 seconds during the feeling out process to land a good shot because when Brock decides to take it to the ground it's done.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Pretty interesting. Anderson will have to beat Chael, and GSP will have to beat Josh. If they fought, the only way GSP could win would be by taking Anderson to the ground. I think Anderson could put GSP away with one good shot though. But, he could also get his arse handed to him if GSP took him to the floor.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Pretty interesting. Anderson will have to beat Chael, and GSP will have to beat Josh. If they fought, the only way GSP could win would be by taking Anderson to the ground. I think Anderson could put GSP away with one good shot though. But, he could also get his arse handed to him if GSP took him to the floor.
Anderson is a tiny bit more vulnerable on the ground, but he's a pretty good jj fighter,,, GSP is much more vulnerable standing not only because of striking talent, but also what I think it a pretty significant reach disadvantage.

I don't see GSP winning that matchup.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not only does Silva have reach but he's a sharp shooter, too. If he lands a couple, it could be over real fast.

<edit> It would be awesome to see Silva lose, but I have said that for a while now. Sonnen is a local boy, so you gotta support him.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I think Silva is a pretty solid MW champion right now. I dont see him losing unless he walks into something or makes a mistake.
Hes done it before but hes come a long way since.

GSP definitly has inferior striking to Silva and I dont know if his advantage on the ground will be enough.
He certainly has the heart but I dont think Ive seen him fight anyone close to Silvas stand up?

It would be awesome to see Silva lose
Co sign on this btw...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
GSP definitly has inferior striking to Silva and I dont know if his advantage on the ground will be enough.
He certainly has the heart but I dont think Ive seen him fight anyone close to Silvas stand up?
Exactly what I was saying.

If I had to put numbers or something to it. It's go like this.

Striking 1-10:
Silva: 11
GSP: 7.5

BJJ 1-10:
Silva: 7
GSP: 8

Advantage Silva... and that doesn't count that he's taller.

Now GSP has amazing stamina...
I wonder if he can play to that strength somehow.
But then again, I've never seen Silva tired,
so maybe there nothing in that strategy.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If Silva can catch GSP like Serra caught him, GSP will be done in 2 minutes. But if he can avoid Silvas bombs and clinch, he might live.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Silva is the best striker in MMA right now. His hit percentages are way up there. I think he'd catch GSP pretty easily, just like he catches everybody.
That being said, I'm thinking he's going to use Sonnen as an example of what he is capable of. I think all the trash that Sonnen is talking is going to make Silva a motivated fighter for once in a really long time. He hasn't looked motivated since he fought Henderson.
Sonnen has a chance if he can avoid being knocked out when he goes for the take downs, but Silva is so accurate, I'm thinking he's going to knock him silly.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Silva is the best striker in MMA right now. His hit percentages are way up there. I think he'd catch GSP pretty easily, just like he catches everybody.
That being said, I'm thinking he's going to use Sonnen as an example of what he is capable of. I think all the trash that Sonnen is talking is going to make Silva a motivated fighter for once in a really long time. He hasn't looked motivated since he fought Henderson.
Sonnen has a chance if he can avoid being knocked out when he goes for the take downs, but Silva is so accurate, I'm thinking he's going to knock him silly.
I want to see more crazy monkey kungfu from silva... but this time he needs to capitalize on the confusion he creates.

EDIT: When Silve fights GSP will it be catch weight or will silva drop all the way down?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I want to see more crazy monkey kungfu from silva... but this time he needs to capitalize on the confusion he creates.

EDIT: When Silve fights GSP will it be catch weight or will silva drop all the way down?
They were talking about GSP going 185. There was talk about doing something like 175, but I don't see Silva cutting that far.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'll be honest, I don't think that Silva can be wrassled and beat on. His bjj game is too slick and he is really good at getting back to his feet or controlling till a stand up is called. Sonnen depends on powering out of submissions and against a guy as technically perfect as Silva their is a good chance he will get caught.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'll be honest, I don't think that Silva can be wrassled and beat on. His bjj game is too slick and he is really good at getting back to his feet or controlling till a stand up is called. Sonnen depends on powering out of submissions and against a guy as technically perfect as Silva their is a good chance he will get caught.

People (including me) seem to forget just HOW GOOD Silva is off his back because most people don't get that far.

Yes, Hendo was able to do some stuff on the ground, but he is also a serious world class wrestler. But remember what he did to Lutter? That was a BJJ clinic. Elbow strikes AND a triangle, done.