Quantcast

UFC Newz

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've always enjoyed the lighter weight fights. They have a lot more energy and fight the whole time, rarely do you see them slow down to rest. With a little less power in the punches a fight is more likely to last a little longer too. As good as they are for the highlight reel the 20 second knockout fights are not that interesting.
Like all 5 rounds of Faber vs. Pulver. They could have gone 10 rounds.

Rampage Jackson, as funny and nice as he seems on camera, I would NOT want to piss that dude off. I hope as the UFC grows, a lot of the dead weight gets dropped (Chris Leiben). There are more than enough guys that have talent in any given weight class.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Like all 5 rounds of Faber vs. Pulver. They could have gone 10 rounds.

Rampage Jackson, as funny and nice as he seems on camera, I would NOT want to piss that dude off. I hope as the UFC grows, a lot of the dead weight gets dropped (Chris Leiben). There are more than enough guys that have talent in any given weight class.
I like watching Leiben fight, he just looks like he is having a lot of fun. The dude can take one hell of a beating too. He did seem to have lost a step or two in his last fight though.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I like watching Leiben fight, he just looks like he is having a lot of fun. The dude can take one hell of a beating too. He did seem to have lost a step or two in his last fight though.
He's a redneck shlub from Gresham, OR. He can take a punch and bleed a lot, I don't see that as a talent. I did enjoy Silva beating the piss out of him (all 49 seconds of it), though.

<edit> When you look at the other guys that have come out of Randy's old camp of Team Quest, he's a waste. Matt Lindland, Ed Herman, Mike Dolce (yet to prove much, but he looked good).

Last edited:

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
My least favorite weight class is the heavyweights. The mediocre fights tend to be fatboys shoving each other, hoping for an one-punch knockout. And there are a lot on the Affliction card.
There is also a lot of talent on that Affliction card. The heavyweights fighting here are some of, if not the best HW fighters in the world. Fedor, Aleks, and Barnett on one card is inarguably a great lineup. Wait til you see how slick Aleks' boxing is. He throw lightning combos from his waist.

Babalu being past his prime at the ancient age of 33 is also kind of funny to me to. The guy has an incredible record with very few losses, most of them coming from legends like Fedor, Lidell, and Henderson.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Babalu being past his prime at the ancient age of 33 is also kind of funny to me to. The guy has an incredible record with very few losses, most of them coming from legends like Fedor, Lidell, and Henderson.
He lost to Jason Lambert, twice to Liddell (not even close on either fight) and then choked a dude out AFTER the guy tapped and the ref stepped in (that's why he was cut from the UFC). He was bad ass a few years ago, but now he's just bitter and hasn't been all that impressive compared to some of the other 205's.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the Liddell fight was going to be good, but it was a straight beat down. Chuck should also look to hang it up soon now that he's getting hitched. The fight against Jardeen was sad (Chuck is the cousin of my best friend). He's made some serious dough and I don't think his heart is in it.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I agree. It's not ever going to be a snooze fest with him.

The fight I'm looking forward to his Florian / Huerta in August. Actually the whole 87 card looks like it could be good.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I love florian. I thought he was so awful when he was on the show, but his skill level and fitness level have improved so much. He's one of my favorites, and he was SO much better than Joe Rogan as a commentator. There was one fight a while back where the announcers' mics had cut out, and all you could hear was the fight. It was so much better than having somebody constantly yell "OH MAN WHAT A GREAT LEG KICK" every 3 seconds.

On the opposite, I hate Leben. He's talentless, and only gets fights because people liked to watch him cry on the show. Now nobody remembers his name, and he's had to fight real people, and he keeps losing. He just doesn't have the talent or discipline to compete.

Anybody taking bets on whether JT or whatever his name was from the show will make it back into the UFC? Dana tends to be pretty heavy handed, but it seemed like he would let the kid back in...

knittingfiend

Monkey
Jun 13, 2008
A tick north of Seattle
Pulver is my favorite fighter. That being said, I really didn't see him posing a serious threat to Uriah going into that fight. Though all aspects of his game are fight-proven, Jens really only stood the oft-cited "puncher's chance". A match with Yamamoto will answer more questions (for this fan at least) than the (impressive) victory over Pulver.

What are you guys gonna be watching on July 19th? What fights (besides the obvious Fedor versus someone who isn't total garbage) are you looking forward to?

It's true, Uriah was the favorite going into that one, but Pulver held on pretty well, even if he looked like A$$ at the end (he looked like his face should'a let go and fall off already!). :dead:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I love florian. I thought he was so awful when he was on the show, but his skill level and fitness level have improved so much. He's one of my favorites, and he was SO much better than Joe Rogan as a commentator. There was one fight a while back where the announcers' mics had cut out, and all you could hear was the fight. It was so much better than having somebody constantly yell "OH MAN WHAT A GREAT LEG KICK" every 3 seconds.

On the opposite, I hate Leben. He's talentless, and only gets fights because people liked to watch him cry on the show. Now nobody remembers his name, and he's had to fight real people, and he keeps losing. He just doesn't have the talent or discipline to compete.

Anybody taking bets on whether JT or whatever his name was from the show will make it back into the UFC? Dana tends to be pretty heavy handed, but it seemed like he would let the kid back in...
My brothers roomate had a dog once that bit a bunch of people. It wasn't mean but it was just so incredibly stupid that it would get confused and scared and just start biting anything around it. That Kid reminded be of the dog, so ****ing stupid. He talked like a fighter that has taken punches for 30 years, not a kid just starting out.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The fight I'm looking forward to his Florian / Huerta in August. Actually the whole 87 card looks like it could be good.
:stupid:

Florian has come a long way. He's like Silva in that he doesn't look like much compared to some huge dudes that are ripped, then he splits you open or chokes you out and there is this WTF moment on the other guys face.

I doubt JT will ever be in the UFC. He was such a jackass and was unimpressive to watch fight. If he had wicked skills, I would say there is a chance. But his wins were boring.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
There is also a lot of talent on that Affliction card. The heavyweights fighting here are some of, if not the best HW fighters in the world. Fedor, Aleks, and Barnett on one card is inarguably a great lineup. Wait til you see how slick Aleks' boxing is. He throw lightning combos from his waist.

Good to see there's still people out there that were MMA fans before the UFC got 'big'.

The Banned card beats out anything the UFC has put on this year, and promises some epic fights. HWs are slow fat guys? Maybe in the old UFC. Banned is a card for fight fans.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
HWs are slow fat guys? Maybe in the old UFC. Banned is a card for fight fans.
HWs are slow no matter what. It's funny to watch the old boxing matches and they were even then. Ali and Tyson, in their prime, seem to be the only two that buck that trend. The only difference was that you didn't get that many lighter weight fights to gain a frame of reference. It's just difficult at that size to gain the level of cardio necessary to sustain for 15 minutes or longer.

Florian was fighting so heavy in TUF that it was surprising he got that far.

As for Faber, I'm not sure what he has left to prove to anyone. He can beat you anyway he needs to. Can take a punch. Can fend off scary submissions. Can go the distance. Can improvise like very few. Seriously, what does a fight with Yamamoto prove that he hasn't already proved?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Good to see there's still people out there that were MMA fans before the UFC got 'big'.
You mean before there were weight classes and rules? When it was a hand full of drunken rednecks vs. black belt dudes with no time limits? It was a joke back then. The only reason MMA has gotten "big" is because it got organized.

Now you have fighters that are so good they either move up or down a class for a challenge (Randy Coture fighting HW, Pulver fighting featherweight, Silva fighting Light-Heavy). Any dude that holds titles in 2 different classes is beyond bad-ass.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
1) HWs are slow no matter what.

2) what does a fight with Yamamoto prove that he hasn't already proved?
1) Come'on now. Anyone who's either watched this **** long enough, or trains knows full well that is a false theory. Cro-Cop, Fedor, Alexs, Serge.... the list of heavy punchers that can go 5 rounds at full throttle goes on. Realy now.....:crazy: Just watch Fedor vs cro-cop. Nog Vs Fedor. Sergie vs Overeem. Just because some guys are slow (and get beat out regularly) doesn't mean the top guys are cut from the same cloth.

2) A Lot!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
You mean before there were weight classes and rules? When it was a hand full of drunken rednecks vs. black belt dudes with no time limits? It was a joke back then. The only reason MMA has gotten "big" is because it got organized.

Now you have fighters that are so good they either move up or down a class for a challenge (Randy Coture fighting HW, Pulver fighting featherweight, Silva fighting Light-Heavy). Any dude that holds titles in 2 different classes is beyond bad-ass.
Say what you will but Dana White has made MMA what it is today.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot

Actualy been like that for a while now. Thankfully long gone are the old days although I'm sure we both miss the way some of those fights went down. :bonk:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
1) Come'on now. Anyone who's either watched this **** long enough, or trains knows full well that is a false theory. Cro-Cop, Fedor, Alexs, Serge.... the list of heavy punchers that can go 5 rounds at full throttle goes on. Realy now.....:crazy: Just watch Fedor vs cro-cop. Nog Vs Fedor. Sergie vs Overeem. Just because some guys are slow (and get beat out regularly) doesn't mean the top guys are cut from the same cloth.
Bullsh!t. Half of those "full throttle" heavyweight fights are the two of them laying and hanging on each other like they are about to die. Compare the intensity levels of those fights with any normal lighter weight fight and tell me that they are even close to equal. The light heavyweights are a different story. Griffin / Bonner fight is an example of two big guys truly going balls out for the full time.... twice. But that is definitely the exception and not the rule.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Say what you will but Dana White has made MMA what it is today.
Exactly. The fact that Dana and company bought the UFC for $2M is kinda funny considering how much money the 3 dudes have made since purchase. I like the fact that they also own Pride and WEC because the pool of talent is freakin' HUGE. Keep Pride in a ring, keep WEC stacked with little dudes, and it works out perfect.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

2) A Lot!
Crocop is a bad example for the UFC fans. I saw a couple of his fights here and they did not live up to the hype.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I laughed when he got dropped with a head kick, that was sweet.

I kinda feel for him though. The guy's one of the best, but lets **** get to him. I don't think he took any of the competition in the UFC serious, and it showed when he first stepped in with his attitude, his body, and the look in his eyes. Almost like he lost the drive. You have to give him credit for the wars he's been through, and the fact that he's faced pretty much every top HW competitor in both MMA and K1.

Who knows though, as he's made bigger comebacks.

Here's a slow fat guy for the TUF noobs:

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I kinda feel for him though. The guy's one of the best, but lets **** get to him. I don't think he took any of the competition in the UFC serious, and it showed when he first stepped in with his attitude, his body, and the look in his eyes. Almost like he lost the drive. You have to give him credit for the wars he's been through, and the fact that he's faced pretty much every top HW competitor in both MMA and K1.

Who knows though, as he's made bigger comebacks.

Here's a slow fat guy for the TUF noobs:
I know he was the sh!t in Pride, but the UFC has some serious heat. Rampage and Silva are the only ones who made the leap and hasn't made an ass of themselves.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I know he was the sh!t in Pride, but the UFC has some serious heat. Rampage and Silva are the only ones who made the leap and hasn't made an ass of themselves.

Huh?

Serious heat? Do you even know the history of these fighters?

Consider that three of the UFCs belt holders are from Pride......

Anyways, if people actualy want to discuss MMA, head over to subfighter.com (sherdog is the pinkbike of mma forums). Sometimes it's nice to have perspectives from people who know there's a larger world outside of the UFC and TUF and respect these fighters/athletes for stepping in the ring win or loose.

Last edited:

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
Huh?

Anyways, if people actualy want to discuss MMA, head over to subfighter.com (sherdog is the pinkbike of mma forums). Sometimes it's nice to have perspectives from people who know there's a larger world outside of the UFC and TUF and respect these fighters/athletes for stepping in the ring win or loose.

Thank you! It is nice to have someone posting in the thread that has actually seen a match that contains a soccer kick or stomp.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Huh?

Anybody who has been fighting for more than a few years came from SOMEWHERE. The UFC didn't even have contracts until Dana and crew took over. My point was more of the last 2 years. The UFC is the big game, like it or not. Fighters make real money, some as much as 6 figures per fight.

I know 6 figures seems like chump change compared to big name boxers, but the undercard fighters make way more in the UFC than they do in boxing.

I still can't stand ring fights.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
The UFC is the big game, like it or not. Fighters make real money, some as much as 6 figures per fight.
For sure the UFC is the big show these days, which imho is unfortunate as I liked the rules, atmosphere, and respectful crowds(!) that Pride FC had (which was a much much bigger/better show). Big show for sure but it's well known they don't have all the top fighters (not even close in their HW division) and probably won't with their slave contracts and slimy business tactics (there's enough info on the web and in court to support this. Hell, the whole 'Banned' card is fighters who hate the Dana for reason or another). All in all I'm still a fan of the sport where ever it's held, and value good matches and reffing more than anything.

As for salary, look here for an example: http://www.mmafrenzy.com/2008/01/01/official-ufc-79-fighter-salaries/

Re: Ring or Cage:
It's entirely debatable, as one suits a certain fighters style more than others. The cage for instance, benefits a wrestler (which is why you used to see wrestlers with decent dirty boxing doing very well in the UFC, pinning and tying against the cage), whereas the ring suits a striker (as they can square the opponent into the corner, ala crocop). Debatable, but if the sport is to become legitimized in terms of actually being a sport and not just entertainment, I believe it should be in a ring. That's my 2c on that topic.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
hws are slow....

Have you ever seen Fedor fight?????????
Whose Fedor?

Yes even Fedor, like pretty much every HW, fights at a reduced work rate compared to any of the lighter weight classes. They don't move as fast or as much. They rarely get into scrambles. All they, and certainly not all of them, have going for them is big time power. Couple that with a wide disparity of jaws in the HW class leads to some impressive one punch knockouts but beyond that.... :yawn:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I'm 215, and have out sprinted runners weighing in at 50lbs less. It's all in the balance and while obviously you get the meatheads with oxygen debt, you also get some seriously quick HWs.

Anyways........

What are matches you guys would want to see?

Me?

Shinya Aoki vs Bj Penn
Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante vs Joachim Hansen
Fedor Emelianenko vs Arlosvski
Mark Hunt vs Coture
Roman Zentsov vs Kongo
GSP vs A Silva
A Silva vs Rampage
Shogun (healthy) vs Liddell

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
As for salary, look here for an example: http://www.mmafrenzy.com/2008/01/01/official-ufc-79-fighter-salaries/

Re: Ring or Cage:
It's entirely debatable, as one suits a certain fighters style more than others. The cage for instance, benefits a wrestler (which is why you used to see wrestlers with decent dirty boxing doing very well in the UFC, pinning and tying against the cage), whereas the ring suits a striker (as they can square the opponent into the corner, ala crocop). Debatable, but if the sport is to become legitimized in terms of actually being a sport and not just entertainment, I believe it should be in a ring. That's my 2c on that topic.
The ring is pointless for any type of ground fighting. A fighter can just crawl under the ropes if he is at a disadvantage. A ring is good for stand up fighters and that's it.

That's what I meant about salary, when compared to the $5k or less some undercard boxers get. Some of the UFC guys will make more in bonuses (best KO, best fight, best submission) than the salary. Not to mention the sponsorship deals they get.

offsprung

Monkey
Aug 5, 2007
Rochester
personally i was dying to see fedor and couture go at it, but retards like dana white won't let it happen.

i simply cannot wait until kimbo slice gets in the ring with a real fighter!

tmtrebor

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
Kimbo doesnt deserve to be anywhere near a real fighter. kimbo would get mauled by anyone in the ufc. He is a slightly better, and I use that term loosely as I think he would lose in a fight against this guy, butterbean. The thing that makes him better is he is able, due to his body structure, to exist on the ground.

To the guy who thinks heavyweights dont move around / train hard. Heavy weights do work their ass off, but they do not move faster or more in the ring than the lighter weights. It's all in the body mechanics. Trust me, I have amateur fights on my record, muay thai mma, but they are still fights, and I train with some big dudes. Take a look at youtube.com, type in "team haycraft." Shameless plug, but oh wells. Take a look at adam stroupe, he is a hoss, even if he doesnt fight anymore, that guy worked his ass off and ran a 6 min mile. He is retarded big... For a size comparison, I am the guy getting slammed by "john steele" and I could do pullups on his arms while he was flexing (i walk around 165, fight at 154).

As for the ufc vs pride, it's an entirely different ballgame. I believe the UFC had a stronger talent POOL, and therefore overall talent, than pride. Pride may have had some better fighters, but I think the overall edge would be for the UFC fighters. The thing about Anderson Silva and Rampage coming over is they are "decent" strikers, with Anderson silva being an Amazing mma striker. Before they showed up, Chuck was the "best" mma striker they had seen. This is not the case anymore, and the overall flaw of the UFC, an organization dominated by less than stellar brawlers with strong backgrounds in wrestling, was exposed.

Anyway, kind of a rant and may not have made total sense, but I've had a couple beers and a long day. In my opinion, UFC > pride in every weight class but 205 and 185. (its apparent too).

Randy couture would beat fedor. Horrible matchup for him. After all, fedor almost lost to ricardo arona if I remember correctly.

Oh yeah, Kimbo could probably take most of the guys in shooto... but they are smaller than most 13 year olds...

loosecannon

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
San Diego
Kimbo doesnt deserve to be anywhere near a real fighter. kimbo would get mauled by anyone in the ufc. He is a slightly better, and I use that term loosely as I think he would lose in a fight against this guy, butterbean. The thing that makes him better is he is able, due to his body structure, to exist on the ground.

To the guy who thinks heavyweights dont move around / train hard. Heavy weights do work their ass off, but they do not move faster or more in the ring than the lighter weights. It's all in the body mechanics. Trust me, I have amateur fights on my record, muay thai mma, but they are still fights, and I train with some big dudes. Take a look at youtube.com, type in "team haycraft." Shameless plug, but oh wells. Take a look at adam stroupe, he is a hoss, even if he doesnt fight anymore, that guy worked his ass off and ran a 6 min mile. He is retarded big... For a size comparison, I am the guy getting slammed by "john steele" and I could do pullups on his arms while he was flexing (i walk around 165, fight at 154).

As for the ufc vs pride, it's an entirely different ballgame. I believe the UFC had a stronger talent POOL, and therefore overall talent, than pride. Pride may have had some better fighters, but I think the overall edge would be for the UFC fighters. The thing about Anderson Silva and Rampage coming over is they are "decent" strikers, with Anderson silva being an Amazing mma striker. Before they showed up, Chuck was the "best" mma striker they had seen. This is not the case anymore, and the overall flaw of the UFC, an organization dominated by less than stellar brawlers with strong backgrounds in wrestling, was exposed.

Anyway, kind of a rant and may not have made total sense, but I've had a couple beers and a long day. In my opinion, UFC > pride in every weight class but 205 and 185. (its apparent too).

Randy couture would beat fedor. Horrible matchup for him. After all, fedor almost lost to ricardo arona if I remember correctly.

Oh yeah, Kimbo could probably take most of the guys in shooto... but they are smaller than most 13 year olds...
I agree and disagree on some of your opinions....Kimbo is a joke in professional mma for sure. Any real, trained heavyweight would destroy him. His only plus is his heavy hands even when tired. And Couture vs Fedor, well anything can happen. Yes he almost lost to Arona but Forrest Griffin beat Shogun, so anything can happen. I think Fedor could beat Couture but it would, and hopefully will, be a battle.

offsprung

Monkey
Aug 5, 2007
Rochester
That's like waiting to see a retard fight a bear. He has no hope of beating anyone with any skills. Maybe Brock Lesner, but he doesn't have skills either.
that's what im talking about! i want to see him in the ring with someone other than no-names and washed up boxers, just to see him find out what a real mma fighter can do!

i also think that brock lesner would take kimbo down.

tmtrebor

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
That's like waiting to see a retard fight a bear. He has no hope of beating anyone with any skills. Maybe Brock Lesner, but he doesn't have skills either.
as much as i hate to admit it, brock lesnar is legit. Look at that dudes face after small little rabbit punches from the mount. Also, look at him against mir. He won that fight. It was a bull**** standup which cost him the fight. Lesnar would destroy kimbo... Lesnar is legit, give him a year ;).