Quantcast

UFC Newz

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
1) Fedor will school Randy, as would Nog. Fedor almost lost to a lot of people..... almost being the key word

2) Pride > UFC when both existed. Both in depth of talent and top fighters. Just look at the records.

that is all :)

tmtebor, what's the background you fight from? Being from the states, and picking 'Handy' to win the FE/RC match I'd venture a guess it's wrestling? I was training Muai Thai when I was younger (in Thailand none the less), and last was practicing some combat sambo. I'm eager to get back into a gym these days, probably start some jits.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
as much as i hate to admit it, brock lesnar is legit. Look at that dudes face after small little rabbit punches from the mount. Also, look at him against mir. He won that fight. It was a bull**** standup which cost him the fight. Lesnar would destroy kimbo... Lesnar is legit, give him a year ;).
I think Lesner will come around, but it will be a while and he's getting a very late start. I mean RIGHT NOW he has no skills, but you can see he is serious and seems to have an awesome worth ethic.

tmtrebor

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
1) Fedor will school Randy, as would Nog. Fedor almost lost to a lot of people..... almost being the key word

2) Pride > UFC when both existed. Both in depth of talent and top fighters. Just look at the records.

that is all :)

tmtebor, what's the background you fight from? Being from the states, and picking 'Handy' to win the FE/RC match I'd venture a guess it's wrestling? I was training Muai Thai when I was younger (in Thailand none the less), and last was practicing some combat sambo. I'm eager to get back into a gym these days, probably start some jits.
my style is in the post. Muay thai. I've trained with rammon dekkers, rob kayman, and John wayne parr. Where did you train in thailand? not to sound like an elitist, but I HOPE it wasn't a fairtex camp ;).
Randy would school fedor, lindland did well until his obvious weakness, which randy doesnt have, were taken advantage of. randy is a lot stronger than lindland, better fighter, and knows how to punch. The records of the pride fighters were inflated. Wand was fed cans, except jackson and henderson. (open weight gps dont count)

When looking at styles, want has lost to wrestlers, Tito, arona, henderson (even though he was knocked out) and better strikers, vitor and chuck. He excels against jiu jitsu and sub par strikers.

In the case of fedor, arona, a lay and pray blanket, nearly beat him. He had the fight won, two of 3 rounds, but screwed up third round and lost it (racist judges imo). Arona is nowhere near the striker or wrestler randy is. Hell, hes not even in the same league as randy in conditioning / ability.

As for pride > ufc. Lets look at this. A. Silva is better than everyone, this is known. Wanderlei silva is another person past his prime, the game has passed him up. Newer fighters, even though they are all lower weights, are much better in every aspect. It's no longer the days of the one dimensional fighter.
Crocop was schooled in his UFC fights, overrated imo anyway. As for the smaller fighters, Nick diaz rolled over gomi. Stoned out of his mind none the less. Diaz is no joke, and one of my favorite fighters, but he was a mid level fighter in the ufc.

Pretty much a breakdown of every class. It's 10:20 am so if you dont understand something I wrote, let me know and ill clarify it after I get back from training.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Guess I should have figured with the 'amature' MT fight thing. For me it was a while back before Thailand became so americanized, so I don't remember the name of the school in English as it was small little Thai place located in Bangsen, even had a Thai name (who would have thought of that!)..... I doubt we fielded the world champions your place did. Speaking of, that's cool that you've trained with such great guys. Not to sound ellitest, but did you actually train with them, or did you just do seminars? ;)

The rest I'm not going to debate. It's futile.

tmtrebor

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
Guess I should have figured with the 'amature' MT fight thing. For me it was a while back before Thailand became so americanized, so I don't remember the name of the school in English as it was small little Thai place located in Bangsen, even had a Thai name (who would have thought of that!)..... I doubt we fielded the world champions your place did. Speaking of, that's cool that you've trained with such great guys. Not to sound ellitest, but did you actually train with them, or did you just do seminars? ;)

The rest I'm not going to debate. It's futile.
Trained with John wayned parr, chris lytle, and Alan Belcher. Belcher is a huge guy but hes terrible standup. His leg kicks are like saggy tits.

Seminars with rob kayman and rammon dekkers. My instructor trained with rammon dekkers in the 90s and rob kayman. At their respective gyms.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Both Diaz brothers have some surprising skills. Nick seems to have lost interest based on his last few fights. Nate is young with serious skills. I think he has a shot at a title in a few more years.

I used to cross train with Muay Thai when I was taking Kali from Al Dacascos here in Beaverton. It really helped to integrate leg kicks and knees when training open hand. He used a lot of elbows with Kali in general practice, so the transition was sort of natural.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I was reading that this morning. 118 degrees in the desert makes for a short walk.
yeah 118 is pretty bad. whenever i went to my place in Vegas, i never stayed outside for too long if it was above 110...i guess thats the east coast in me. 125 is nothing too crazy out that way...at least not crazy to them yocals

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Wow. I know he must have been a tough guy, but why didn't just take a hour in the sauna...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Both Diaz brothers have some surprising skills. Nick seems to have lost interest based on his last few fights. Nate is young with serious skills. I think he has a shot at a title in a few more years.

I used to cross train with Muay Thai when I was taking Kali from Al Dacascos here in Beaverton. It really helped to integrate leg kicks and knees when training open hand. He used a lot of elbows with Kali in general practice, so the transition was sort of natural.
I think Nick is still plugging away. I also met him this year!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think Nick is still plugging away. I also met him this year!
He hasn't fought in a while, though. I enjoy watching both of them fight (represent the 209, bitches!).

UFC88 was pretty good. Chuck got knocked the f@ck out! Sad, but a harsh fact that the 205's are bad ass. With Franklin moving up (had too because he can't beat Silva) and a host of dudes that have joined over the last year, 205 is where it's at.

Now if Silva decides to hang out in 205, you will see a lot of folks either dropping to 185, or moving to WEC.

MI62887

Chimp
Jun 12, 2008
Just read that about Tanner last night. I liked to watch that guy fight. He was a brawler...

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I'm thinking it was a "Vision Quest" gone wrong or a suicide. Tanner has had a drinking problem for a while and was depressed when he realized he was past his prime. He was taking many trips to the desert to find himself.

He told his inner circle that he was going into the desert so deep that if he had an equipment failure he could die.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
He hasn't fought in a while, though. I enjoy watching both of them fight (represent the 209, bitches!).

UFC88 was pretty good. Chuck got knocked the f@ck out! .
cool I never liked Chuck much anyway..seemed a bit one dimensional to me...sad about Tanner though....D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
cool I never liked Chuck much anyway..seemed a bit one dimensional to me...sad about Tanner though....D
Chuck is awesome, but he is somewhat limited when you compare him to the stacked 205's now.

Tanner was awesome, too. But again, the level of dudes at 205 is staggering. Rich Franklin said in the pre-fight interview that 185 was a dead end with Silva there. Again, if Silva decided 205 is the place to be, there will be a whole lot of losses.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
He told his inner circle that he was going into the desert so deep that if he had an equipment failure he could die.
he also said that on his blog too....kinda convenient he mentioned it

Again, if Silva decided 205 is the place to be, there will be a whole lot of losses.
that would be great to watch them all go down...he'd be jacked by 20 more lbs

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
that would be great to watch them all go down...he'd be jacked by 20 more lbs
Did you see the freebee fight on Spike against James "Sandman" Irvin? I was waiting for Chris Tucker to run in and yell "You got knocked the f@ck out!"