Quantcast

UFC Newz

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Anderson Silva moving up to 205 on Spike July 19th. Holy crap, that dude is bad ass.

Last edited:

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
well there was nobody for him to beat left in his weight class.i heard rumors of penn gaining weight and moving up to fight silva. which i think would be a pretty bad ass fight.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They said his normal weight is actually 215, so he will still have to cut to make weight. Holy crap I can't beleive how much they cut to get to 185. How much time do they have to recover between the weigh in and the fight?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
They said his normal weight is actually 215, so he will still have to cut to make weight. Holy crap I can't beleive how much they cut to get to 185. How much time do they have to recover between the weigh in and the fight?
usually it's less than 48hrs...D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No discussion about the Ultimate Fighter finale?
I was happy to see CB get beat again, that was worth it. I am also looking forward to Forest vs. Rampage. Not sure if Forest will beat him, but I bet it goes at least 3 rounds and there is much blood.

They have 24hrs from weigh in to fight. He walks around at 215, but drops to 185 over 3 months or more. Still a lot of work for sure.

My guess is Silva will still walk through a good number if the 205's. But there are some serious dudes there, it's a stacked class.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Penn vs. Silva would be interesting to say the least! Although they were brief there were a few moments of vulnerability when Silva fought Lutter.

Actually Silva vs anyone is bound to be a good show, he is scary.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I too was happy to CB get beat by Amir again. CB was too cocky for his own good.
Obviously didn't learn from his mistakes either. Got caught with the same thing in the same position as the first fight. In fact it happened faster the second time. His antics after he tapped was pretty classless too.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Well, I was talking with my husband about that because he does Jui Jitzu and maybe CB did it subconciously or something you know? I wish they would have interviewed him so we could see what he had to say. The replay is very clear that he tapped, at least once. There was no way he was getting out of that arm bar...it was in DEEP!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, it was clear that he tapped and then he claimed he didn't...would have been nice to see him try a little harder.

I was disappointed in the Grizzly Adams vs. Kendall Grove fight. For all of his hyped-up antics, KG just doesn't impress me. I wanted to see the bearded one come back with a win...he just didn't look mentally in it.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
yeah, it was clear that he tapped and then he claimed he didn't...
That always cracks me up...these athletes must forget that every viewer out there is watching the replay over and over of what clearly happened. Glad he lost anyway, would have sucked for Amir to lose the final after already beating the guy once.

Diego Sanchez just looks like a tazmanian devil out there. I love his intensity, glad to see him back with a couple wins.

Forrest vs Rampage should be a great fight to watch. I hope it lasts a few rounds so we can see two great fighters going at it.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I forgot what other fights were on...

I think Sanchez is overrated. His fight with Koschek was hilarious. The human blanket vs. Diego "naptime" sanchez. Neither fighter wanted to fight, they spent most of the time dancing. Other fighters always give him too much respect. Maybe it is his level of intensity, but he gets beaten just like anybody else.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Obviously didn't learn from his mistakes either. Got caught with the same thing in the same position as the first fight. In fact it happened faster the second time. His antics after he tapped was pretty classless too.
You could tell he panicked and went to tap, but it looked like he wasn't in pain yet and tried to deny tapping. There is no way in hell he was getting out of that hold, though.

I like Amir, he has a lot of talent for a dude with no pro fights (even thought they said his record was 1-0). I think if he gets with the right camp he will get to be bad ass real quick.

I look forward to Silvia in 205's. When he fought Franklin the first time, I thought he was going to get beat down. I had no idea he was that bad ass, seriously. Outside of someone with crazy power like Rampage, I don't think there are a lot of people he can't beat. He can take a shot, too, so crazy power might not be an issue either.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Isn't GSP like 4'8"? At least Silvia wouldn't have to reach to bust a knee in his mug like he did on Franklin.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Wow, I guess I saw a different fight.

Compared to the Kimbo snoozefest, I thought the other fights were pretty decent. While Diego probably would have lost against top competition, he had some nice kicks and good action.

I really enjoyed watching Spenser Fisher. He does strike from odd angles.

When I saw Grizzly Adams step out, I was like, "Isn't Evan Tanner 100 years old?" But I though he had a decent fight but Kendall was younger and ultimately superior.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Kendal's knee off one leg was awesome. Diego Sanchez looked great, too. The only bad fight he's had (IMO) was against Koscheck. But both of them were scared to make a move.

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
Kendal's knee off one leg was awesome.
It sure was. I would like to see more fighters take chances like this. To give up the base like that (in an attempt to end the fight with a strike) should be more heavily rewarded on the judges' scorecards.

Last edited:

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
The knees out of a single leg takedown attempt were fantastic. The Sanchez/Fiorvanti fight was great.

I would much rather see Silva/GSP than Silva/Penn or Penn/GSP.

The worst thing about those guys is that they are all so much better than everyone else in their weight classes. Silva destroyed the 2nd and 3rd best guys in the world in his class, and the only thing he has left at 185 is a rematch vs Okami who he lost to last(granted it was an insane heel kick ko from the ground dq). GSP only has Fitch left in his division. Penn is head and shoulders above anyone else in his division.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's the issue with the featherweight class as well. Faber has been crushing dudes up until his fight with Pulver. So the only thing to look forward to is the rematch and BOTH guys will be better. I think Faber will win again, then who's left?

The nice thing about TUF is they have found a lot of good fighters, but they aren't GREAT fighters. If Griffin manages to beat Rampage, then it will be a shake up at least at 205.

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
That's the issue with the featherweight class as well. Faber has been crushing dudes up until his fight with Pulver. So the only thing to look forward to is the rematch and BOTH guys will be better. I think Faber will win again, then who's left?
Faber's gotta beat Kid Yamamoto to prove he's the best little guy in the world.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Faber's gotta beat Kid Yamamoto to prove he's the best little guy in the world.
That's what they said about Pulver. I hope there is someone out there to beat him, or it's no fun. It is one of my favorite classes, though.

I also like the fact that the UFC owns all three because the pool of talent is HUGE. I still can't get into Pride, though. I like the rules, but Jujitsu in a ring is pointless.

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
Pulver is my favorite fighter. That being said, I really didn't see him posing a serious threat to Uriah going into that fight. Though all aspects of his game are fight-proven, Jens really only stood the oft-cited "puncher's chance". A match with Yamamoto will answer more questions (for this fan at least) than the (impressive) victory over Pulver.

What are you guys gonna be watching on July 19th? What fights (besides the obvious Fedor versus someone who isn't total garbage) are you looking forward to?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What are you guys gonna be watching on July 19th? What fights (besides the obvious Fedor versus someone who isn't total garbage) are you looking forward to?
You mean besides Silva vs. Sandman? That's all I care about. Silva at 205 should be at least interesting.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Nothing on the Affliction card is of any interest to you?
It will be nice to see Fedor fight someone without Gigantism. I am most excited about the Aleks/Buentello fight. That has 2 minute war written all over it. Barnett/Rizzo could be good, and I love watching Arlovski.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm a jackass, this is the first I heard of it. I was looking at the UFC Fight Night Live on the 19th. I had no idea ANOTHER mma group was starting up.

I despise Tim Silvia, so I won't be watching him at all. It's like watching Frankenstein fight and it's painful. Did Arlofski give up on the UFC?

<edit> It reads like the old and the has-been. No offense, but Lindland and Babalu are way past prime.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My least favorite weight class is the heavyweights. The mediocre fights tend to be fatboys shoving each other, hoping for an one-punch knockout. And there are a lot on the Affliction card.

On top of that, Sylvia and Arlovski have had some disappointing fights, so I am not fans of those guys.

I wish you would see some mixed weight classes, so a 200 pounder could choke out a heavier man.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wish you would see some mixed weight classes, so a 200 pounder could choke out a heavier man.
Like Randy Cotoure beating the piss out of Tim Silvia. That was fun to watch. But overall, I have the same aversion to heavyweights. Some of the light-heavy guys are just as bad, too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've always enjoyed the lighter weight fights. They have a lot more energy and fight the whole time, rarely do you see them slow down to rest. With a little less power in the punches a fight is more likely to last a little longer too. As good as they are for the highlight reel the 20 second knockout fights are not that interesting.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Like Randy Cotoure beating the piss out of Tim Silvia. That was fun to watch. But overall, I have the same aversion to heavyweights. Some of the light-heavy guys are just as bad, too.
But at the top of the light heavyweight game, there are bone thugs with skilz, guys I am afraid just watching.

With the big dudes, I would just ran away.