Quantcast

Ugghhhh I hate it when

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
You write an email meant for someone, but then you accidentally send it out to everyone....

It's not that bad, but still.

I had written an email to my friend's best man regarding the upcoming bachelor party. We had talked about what I could afford and whatnot, since I can't throw down as much as everyone else.

So I wrote an email thanking him for being so flexible and blah blah blah. But I wrote the email as a response to one of his mass emails, but clicked "Respond to everyone". Crap.

Now everyone knows I can't really contribute as much as them.

So it's embarrassing but really, what can I do? If they all think I'm cheap then that's what they think. I'll never see them again.

But still, there should be a "Recall Email Button" or something.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
There actually is a recall email feature but it only works if they haven't read their email yet. I've used it before.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I should have mentioned you can only use it if you have Microsoft Exchange. Open the message you sent, then click on actions on the menu at the top, and then recall.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Heidi said:
There actually is a recall email feature but it only works if they haven't read their email yet. I've used it before.
and sometimes it asks the recipient something like 'sender wants to recall this message... is this ok?'
depends on the client.

could have been worse. you could have done a reply all to some work email and written something nasty. seen it happen. never good.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
I used my Yahoo account, I don't know if there is a function to recall. In the grand scheme of things, it's not the worst. But it is a bit embarrassing.

J

JRB

Last year the warehouse lead person emailed a chick to tell her he wanted to get wit her....he sent it to Z - all mailboxes. hahahaha - nice

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
ghostrider said:
Holy crap! Heidi is a computer nerd!! Who knew?

hehehe - nonsense. I just know that from personal experience of sending out confidential information accidentally. At my last job you couldn't send certain information to anyone who worked for a subsidiary or there were a ton of regulatory implications. I had to use that recall message once to save myself. :)

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My first job out of college, we used GroupWise. The recall message feature was nice....as long as the message wasn't read, it got recalled. It didn't ask the recipient if it was ok. I hate the fact that Outlook asks the recipient. Some buttnoids click NO and read the message. Show some goddamn profession courtesy and click yes. I do. :mad:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Heidi said:
The recall feature is probably one of the greatest things ever invented. It has saved my rear end a few times...

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Urban FR'er 666 said:
Could have been worse if you sent it to the groom and blew the surprise of the party!

Hey, could it have been worse if he sent it to the groom and blew the surprise of the party? ;)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A few years ago some co-op kid sent an email of some stupid picture to "all employees". That was about 300,000 people worldwide. It locked up the coprorate email system for a half day. They actually had to VP of HR from headquarters fly down from Ct to fire the kid.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Westy said:
A few years ago some co-op kid sent an email of some stupid picture to "all employees". That was about 300,000 people worldwide. It locked up the coprorate email system for a half day. They actually had to VP of HR from headquarters fly down from Ct to fire the kid.
That stings.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
My first job out of college, we used GroupWise. The recall message feature was nice....as long as the message wasn't read, it got recalled. It didn't ask the recipient if it was ok. I hate the fact that Outlook asks the recipient. Some buttnoids click NO and read the message. Show some goddamn profession courtesy and click yes. I do. :mad:
groupwise can only do that for internal (ie on the same network) email; if you send it to someone outside the address book, you can't retract it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Westy said:
they should have also reamed the IT guy who allowed that to happen.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Westy said:
We had that happen, as of 3 years ago domain_all is now limited to the vp/gm :)...I get lots of complaints but it really saves me a lot of work :)