Quantcast

Ugh...bad brakes out of box.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Got a rear juicy 5 for my ss hardtail and it was horribly bled out of the box, they feel like trash (lever to the bar etc). Can you warranty these types of things or is it a "tough" sort of deal?

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
well its not hard to bleed. maybe 10 bucks? i personally would rather just bleed it then go through all the hassle and shipping etc...

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
If you got it through a LBS, they should just be cool and bleed the thing for you. That's typically what I do for customers in that situation. As for warrantying them, I don't think Avid is going to cover that. Before you go and bleed them though have you checked your lever reach adjustment? Not doubting your mechanical skills, but I figure it's worth a mention just in case. I have noticed however that many Avid brakes come with a bit of air in the line.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
nah reach adjustments are pretty neutral at the moment.

the lbs out here charges a lot for simple stuff, but not enough for me to wait around and shell out 40 + shipping for an avid bleed kit, so I will just bite the bullet hehe.

edit: Hmm, I kinda forgot I was only talking about one brake here, I suppose cost to bleed one break is somewhere in the ball park for reasonable.

Last edited:

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
man all you need is a syringe.. and just see if you can get the little bolt for the end...works for me.. only about 10 bucks maybe

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I've never seen a brake go from the box to the bike without needing to be bled. Most even need the hose shortened. Would you really want to have hydros on your bike and not have the tools to fix them anyway? What if you wreck?