Quantcast

Ugh I screwed up - X7 rear shifter help needed!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
So I tried to set up a 1x9 tonight using a SRAM X7 rear trigger shifter.

I removed the old cable but was struggling like crazy to feed in the new cable, I got so frustrated that I decided to unscrew the shifter in order to see what I was doing better in order to feed the cable (why can't they make it slightly easier?) and in doing so, one of the "springs" inside came loose and I'm not sure exactly where it is supposed to "rest" inside the shifter.

Can anyone help guide me through the steps to put everything back in their proper space?

I'm such a doofus! :help: :help:

Thanks in advance.

Mark

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I did that with an X.0. Took a little messing with, but I got it back together. Can we get a pic?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I've done that a couple times especially when I crash and have to install a new pod cover. I'll post a pic later of where the spring goes. You're talking about that big spring on top right?

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
taking it apart is the only way that i put cables in. but i have learnd from mistake with brakeing them lol

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is the spring more or less a piece of wire, bent at roughly a 90 degree angle, with a loop where the bend is? That's how it is in the X.0s anyway. If that's the case, there are two small holes at the edges of the shifter where the ends of the spring go, and the loop goes around a little semi-circular piece of plastic. Does that make any sense?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Before I leave work, lemme try to explain it, but I'll post a pic up after my ride.

The gear on the top is used to move the indicator strip in the pod cover.

Directly below that gear is the cam mechanism for gear selection. On top of the gear selection cam look for a pinhole (05 and older x7) or a slot about the width of a dime. That is where the short spring end goes. The hooked end has a slot near the barrel adjuster section.

Position the shifter so the barrel adjuster is on your left and the shift levers are on the right.

Install a cable.

Pull cable while actuating the small lever (gear up) till it stops.

Move gear indicator strip to #9

Install short spring end into slot or pinhole. Long end of spring should point toward you.

Make sure none of the coils are intertwined

Make sure the spring is not on top of the shift indicator gear

While holding down the coil, bring the long end of the spring (clockwise) toward it's spot on top of the barrel adjuster.

Install pod cover and the EZ cable replacement plug.

It may take a few tries to get the spring to sit correctly but you can do it. I'll make sure to post pics later.

nathanm13

Chimp
Sep 20, 2009
old thread I know sorry guys.
ultranoob - do you have any pictures of this? I've been a donky and done the same thing, can't work out where to slot the short spring end (cant see a hole or corresponding slot) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!