Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wow you get a computer at work! Wish I could rot in a cube while feeling moderately superior to people with uncool logos on their commodity devices.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Starbucks is always open....duh.

Bunnyboy-my last work computer was a Commodore 64. Dont ruin this for me. :rant:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
he's biting his tongue or searching for a two year old post of his about why this model sucks.
This will work just fine for both you and TN:rofl:

Wow you get a computer at work! Wish I could rot in a cube while feeling moderately superior to people with uncool logos on their commodity devices.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
new work machine.

still not fast enough for me. was rendering a Cinema 4D project & kept crashing AfterEffects when i tried to render a project with AE. :rant:

need me a render farm i tell ya.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
still not fast enough for me. was rendering a Cinema 4D project & kept crashing AfterEffects when i tried to render a project with AE. :rant:

need me a render farm i tell ya.
A Mac crash? Call Steve Jobs, that **** aint supposed to happen.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Here ya go nerds. an IT anecdote for you.

It's complicated, so I'll try to pull out the high points.

I work at a small company with no policies for....anything. This includes IT. We have 3 wireless routers in the building. I get a skype from our IT guy (an outside contractor down the street)...I have become his primary contact because I'm the most computer savvy person in the place....sadly enough) Anyhoo, he skypes me and says, "Can you go walk around the shop and look for a Macbook. He's been tracking our network activity. We've been getting huge UDP floods. And the bulk of it was due to a certain Macbook. We don't have any Macs.

As no-one has said it was not allowed, people have started bringing unauthorized laptops, netbooks ipod touches etc to work. They get the code for a router and then they stream music. In and of itself it is not done with malicious intent. However this particular Macbook was apparently using 30% of the company's bandwidth.

So we shut him down and he gets all pissed off. He doesn't understand what a UDP flood is, but he KNOWS that Macs are impervious to viruses and there's no WAY his computer could be causing a problem. And we are unfairly persecuting him. "Dude...your computer was getting pinged by Moscow"

IT guys been begging for a proper policy and rules to impose and enforce, but our GM won't do it. So finally IT guy took matters into his own hands and shut out these rogue devices....apparently our network speed practically doubled.

And that's my story.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Here ya go nerds. an IT anecdote for you.

It's complicated, so I'll try to pull out the high points.

I work at a small company with no policies for....anything. This includes IT. We have 3 wireless routers in the building. I get a skype from our IT guy (an outside contractor down the street)...I have become his primary contact because I'm the most computer savvy person in the place....sadly enough) Anyhoo, he skypes me and says, "Can you go walk around the shop and look for a Macbook. He's been tracking our network activity. We've been getting huge UDP floods. And the bulk of it was due to a certain Macbook. We don't have any Macs.

As no-one has said it was not allowed, people have started bringing unauthorized laptops, netbooks ipod touches etc to work. They get the code for a router and then they stream music. In and of itself it is not done with malicious intent. However this particular Macbook was apparently using 30% of the company's bandwidth.

So we shut him down and he gets all pissed off. He doesn't understand what a UDP flood is, but he KNOWS that Macs are impervious to viruses and there's no WAY his computer could be causing a problem. And we are unfairly persecuting him. "Dude...your computer was getting pinged by Moscow"

IT guys been begging for a proper policy and rules to impose and enforce, but our GM won't do it. So finally IT guy took matters into his own hands and shut out these rogue devices....apparently our network speed practically doubled.

And that's my story.