Quantcast

uh-oh? (possible fork crack)

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Is this a big uh-oh or a small uh-oh?

Also, the seal on the cracked side leaks a bit of oil, which might or might not be related.

I am replacing the fork anyway, but It would be nice to sell the old one. I am a man of morals.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
wow that is small. good catch. Looks like it's the beginning of a stress fracture. It'll get bigger as time goes on. Buy new lowers and sell it.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Were you using it for street? Or any harsh, somewhat crooked landings?

There a bit of a "flaw" in the Fox lowers, in that the arch comes in at 90 degrees to the leg, and when you spin a bunch, that corner tends to crack. Spoke to a store in Ottawa (not sure they wanna be mentioned) that went through like 15 sets.

I can't really call it a flaw though, as the fork isnt' intended for street or spinny stuff. When ridden like its intended, it doesnt' crack.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
dropmachine.com said:
Were you using it for street? Or any harsh, somewhat crooked landings?
*sigh* yes. Not only me, but all 240 lbs. another monkey who I will decline to name.

Anyone know how much new lowers will cost me, or do I need to call fox. ( I can get them sent to someone in the US so I don't have to pay ****ty aussie prices)

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
*sigh* yes. Not only me, but all 240 lbs. another monkey who I will decline to name.

Anyone know how much new lowers will cost me, or do I need to call fox. ( I can get them sent to someone in the US so I don't have to pay ****ty aussie prices)
Dirtworks (aussie distributer) spare parts are not that expensive. Send them an email and ask.

For example, fox 40 lowers are $300AUS