Quantcast

Uh oh, rainy Plattekill...

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Well, just checked http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday.html?locid=USNY1259&from=dayDetails_topnav_undeclared and came to the conclusion that I am going to have a wet weekend. I rode there in the wet once before and scared the hell outta me. (Few solid crashes) What should i expect for the race? I mean, its only my first year racing and this will be my first ever wet race. (and im not getting off easy seeing as I race Jr X...) What should I do for tires? I have a Swampthing that im considering putting on (Apposed to my 2.5 High rollers, 60duro...) Any other changes i should do? I will be sure to bring extra clothes and my SDG riding jacket...

Either way, cant wait to go, i will be ridign my Red Demo 9/DH40, with a Gravity Warehouse Jerstey and a TLD lid... Be sure to say hi, i promise i dont bite...

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
You dont want to run a swampthing at Plattekill. You will be sliding all over the place on the rocks. Your best bet would probably be mobsters or minion rears if your sticking with maxxis. If you dont have options i would probably just stick with the high rollers. Plattekill is fun in the mud!!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Stick with regular tires, if thats all you got.......but try to lower your air pressure in them....

Ideally a super tacky at low PSI would be best.....but 60 Duros aren't too bad.....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
no kidding. you want 40 duro whatevers.

They need to be wide, flat and have lotsa contact, but clear mud well.

Mobsters woud be an option, as would a clipped comp16 or high roller perhaps. I think the minion fr would pack up in the mud.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Oh noo!!
I thought it was the following weekend, not the 9th.
Bummer, I'll be in boston so I can't make it.

But yeah, sticky sticky tires.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Transcend said:
no kidding. you want 40 duro whatevers.

They need to be wide, flat and have lotsa contact, but clear mud well.
Mud doesn't collect in the tires there...........i can remember that happening maybe one time......the soil has too much granularity, i think....it's not that pasty decayed vegatetion mud that can real sticky....

Riding in the rain there is a blast.......the more rain the better.

Hope everyone has a blast......i'll be home limping around and spackling...... :nopity:

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
that red dirt at plattekill is red clay when its gets wet definatley look for a tire that clears mud well
can't wait

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
nh dude said:
that red dirt at plattekill is red clay when its gets wet definatley look for a tire that clears mud well
can't wait
And wear clothes you don't care about. In my experience, you have to wash that crap about 40 times for it to come out.

I'll be racing collegiate at Jiminy Peak this weekend. I think I'll keep my Nevegal/Blue Groove combo on there for now...maybe switch to Swampthings (I have a 2.5 ST and 2.35 60) when I get there.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
nh dude said:
can't wait
Havent seen much red dirt at plattekill in the last year. If the course is freshcut, then your tires are gonna pack up, if its older trails there will probably be a stream running down them to clean your tires on the way down.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Thanks for all the imput, i have 2 rear super tacky minions... Hows that sound? (Pretty worn, but usable...)

I have concluded i will not wear my race close saturday...

See ya thurr!

563 740

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
North of Albany
Mobsters woud be an option, as would a clipped comp16 or high roller perhaps. I think the minion fr would pack up in the mud.
Mobster for sure in the rear. The last Plattekill mud race I had to switch out my Minion rear for a Mobster due to hardcore mud packing. The front tire choice is quite as critical because it's stays rolling (and thus shedding mud). I ran a Swampthing Front / Mobster rear without too much drama.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Is any one actually going? I dont want to go and find the parking lot empty.

I am gunna try to get a tarp and some how make a tent on the back of my dads truck with it.

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
mack said:
Is any one actually going? I dont want to go and find the parking lot empty.

I am gunna try to get a tarp and some how make a tent on the back of my dads truck with it.

i'll be there 4 shure, you actually think people wouldnt go?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
konahucker43 said:
i'll be there 4 shure, you actually think people wouldnt go?

Possibly yeah, some people just dont like to play dirty. :devil:

I plan on using trash bags to keep dry.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
My first gravity race ever was at Plattekill (did the 4x) in the rain (Oct 4, 2003). I was so excited to be there, I didn't even care that it was raining.

I always wear a bandana around my neck and tucked in my jersey, and this day it was especially useful. It was the only dry, clean item I had - good for wiping the goggles or mud from the eyes.

One more thing - no matter how wet you think you are, hosing yourself off (or having someone hose you off) when you go to wash your bike is not a good idea. You're never as wet and muddy as you really could be...

Have a great time!!!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Red Bull said:
Anyone wanna lend me a fender and some goggles with tear offs? :o:

Damn i could use a fender really badly. I got to get to a MX store and get some tear offs for my SPY mx goggles. I might consider not running a chain, i can see the mud getting cloged in my guide/cassete/road derailur like no other. :dead:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I'll be there tomorrow. Should be getting there early to get a few practice runs in before the start. Not sure about tire selection yet...I'll bring an assortment and decide when I see just how bad it's going to be.