Quantcast

Uh oh.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
For me, mountain biking has become somewhat of a "lost cause". It no longer provides the enjoyment that it used to. Maybe I've exhausted my environment, and need to ride somewhere new, but I never just go out and ride for fun anymore. I'll usually end up going when a friend calls and asks, or if I need to run to the store. I can't get into a good groove when riding, where I am having alot of fun. I love this sport to death, but I need some inspiration here guys (and gals). Anything. Revive my mountain biking spirit.:dead:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
:( I am not really able to ride outside anymore (32 weeks pregnant) and I am dying to hit the trails again! Maybe you need to take the winter off and road trip to some awesome rides in the spring?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
ride naked a few times. itll be something new and interesting and itll give your cheeks some color.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
mcA896 said:
For me, mountain biking has become somewhat of a "lost cause". It no longer provides the enjoyment that it used to. Maybe I've exhausted my environment, and need to ride somewhere new, but I never just go out and ride for fun anymore. I'll usually end up going when a friend calls and asks, or if I need to run to the store. I can't get into a good groove when riding, where I am having alot of fun. I love this sport to death, but I need some inspiration here guys (and gals). Anything. Revive my mountain biking spirit.:dead:

You should just start smoking a.ss loads of weed and quit going to school.

Remember.........video games are the REAL life training tool.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
TreeSaw said:
:( I am not really able to ride outside anymore (32 weeks pregnant) and I am dying to hit the trails again! Maybe you need to take the winter off and road trip to some awesome rides in the spring?

that's what always gets me in the riding mood again, taking a break. if you just lay off for a month or so, then get back on and ride the hardest possible trail, you will feel invigorated, i promise.

Jan 29, 2005
try a different aspect of riding, if you are getting tired of hucks and gaps, give some street/park/dirt a try, and vice versa. Maybe some nice XC would do the trick, SS always adds an interesting element, maybe switch to road or bmx.

I have gone through seasonal burnout before as well, give yourself the winter, come back in the spring. I find very rarely does anyone completely give up riding bikes.

If you really cannot find motivation to ride, and aren't really having fun. stop. It's okay to put the bike down and move on.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
mcA896 said:
For me, mountain biking has become somewhat of a "lost cause". It no longer provides the enjoyment that it used to.... I need some inspiration here guys (and gals). Anything. Revive my mountain biking spirit.:dead:
OK, so here's my suggestions to rekindle the flame:
1. Try something you never have before (like psycho-cross) :devil: :D ,
or
2. Teach someone else something you know.

When I started mtn biking, the guy who put me on the bike was right at the point of loosing that loving mtn bike feeling too. I began riding at the beginning of the summer, and was so thankful for his guidence and coaching! But by the end of the summer he was burned out, and didn't really feel like riding (he took some time off the bike, and eventually got back into it). BUT, in the mean time, the spark he created in me took off like wildfire, and has continued to spread. I'm thankful for those times when he met me for a ride even when he really didn't want to. On several different occasions he met me at the BMX track so that I could learn what it is to ride a berm and pump down the back side of a jump. I credit him with being a large part of the reason I'm here.

I admit, I'm a real oddball case, but... maybe someone needs your inspiration...

Here I am lined up with the 9-year-olds at the BMX track, preparing myself for my first "gravity event" - 4X at Plattekill!

-sunny

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
CA
Anybody still have the "Where is the Love" movie from a while back. Watch that, then go ride some new trails and you'll be golden.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
flatulant_man said:
that's what always gets me in the riding mood again.
Haha...I thought you were going to say "getting pregnant"

Anyway....
I suppose the only times I lose motivation to ride is when I don't do it enough. If I stop for a few weeks, it gets hard to get into it again. Once I start going out regularly and attacking the trails, I get right into it. I can't see how biking could become boring really. I ride the same freakin trails all the time. Maybe you should go out and crash really hard or something.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Try snigle speeding for awhile.
Or maybe a biking holiday overseas, the European alps or down here in New Zealand or down in Bolivia or (my old stamping grounds) the Himalayas.......

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I never get bored of it. I have a true singletrack mind. I don't ride as much as I want to because of school, ... . I am always thinking of mountain biking. Some of my bike videos I have watch 5 times a day for a week. Every second mountain biking is or relates to what I'm thinking.

Its probably because you aren't progressing. Try new tricks, go bigger, find new stuff, new lines,.... Today I decided to do a 1 handed 1 footer on my double. For 2 days I've been doing some somewhat solid top tube grabs. Then I want to get to seat grabs and then a no footed seat grabs.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
downhilldemon said:
i love that pic. This huge adult racing this little kids! Life is great!

Me too. Everytime I go to the track it's exactly like that. What's worse is that those little kids always kick my ass around the track six ways to Sunday.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
flatulant_man said:
that's what always gets me in the riding mood again, taking a break. if you just lay off for a month or so, then get back on and ride the hardest possible trail, you will feel invigorated, i promise.
That's what I am hoping for (fingers crossed)

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
maxyedor said:
take your gears off. Riding singlespeed will get you back into it, also try to seek out new trails and riding buddies.
:stupid:

Also try riding your favorite at night in reverse

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
sunny said:
---Here I am lined up with the 9-year-olds at the BMX track, preparing myself for my first "gravity event" - 4X at Plattekill!

-sunny
talk about inspiration!!! this might be the coolest bike photo EVER. you totally rock and i thank you deeply for it.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
K, I've come to a conclusion.

I am going to not ride from this Sunday, untl Spring. I am going to concentrate on snowboarding all winter, and hit all of the places I always wanted to board. Much backcountry too.

Then, come spring, I am selling my DH bike, and building a singlespeed street hardtail. The simplicity of a singlespeed has a certain allure to it. Mmmm. Singlespeed street bike. Maybe I will build it up over winter, that way come spring I will be itching to ride it.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
BTW - Where are you riding and what style? Location says 'cape cod'... which is pretty damn flat. Yeah there are couple fun hills and a few built items in Otis, but road trips to new places always get me going.

DH bike on the cape?!? I think I know part of the problem...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Well call me a blasphemer but it's not the end of the world. If you don't enjoy riding anymore, don't ride. You'll know soon enough if you want to come back.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
mcA896 said:
K, I've come to a conclusion.

I am going to not ride from this Sunday, untl Spring. I am going to concentrate on snowboarding all winter, and hit all of the places I always wanted to board. Much backcountry too.

Then, come spring, I am selling my DH bike, and building a singlespeed street hardtail. The simplicity of a singlespeed has a certain allure to it. Mmmm. Singlespeed street bike. Maybe I will build it up over winter, that way come spring I will be itching to ride it.
Sounds like a good plan...building bikes up over the winter always makes me want to ride more and more!!!! Curious though...why sell the DH bike? You may still have a use/need for it come Spring time.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
TreeSaw said:
Sounds like a good plan...building bikes up over the winter always makes me want to ride more and more!!!! Curious though...why sell the DH bike? You may still have a use/need for it come Spring time.
Right now, DH isn't really a priority. I have raced a few times, and I loved it, but I just don't get to go to the mountains enough to make a DH bike worthwhile. I also would sell it to build up the hardtail. I can always buy a new DH rig, if I feel that one would be neccessary.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I just build more bikes and find what I like. I don't really like long distance stuff or just "riding" but if it's DH/DJ/BMX then I'm fine. I find myself building bikes (going on my 3rd one now) so I have one of each that's specific to what I want. Get a DH bike for DH, a XC'ish bike for that type of stuff, and a DJ/BMX/4x bike for that stuff. BMX was fun when I was younger, probably more fun now I'm older and there's MTB's that are ment for jumping and such. It makes a world of difference having the right gear and stuff (plus if you can afford it, some can, some can't).

But I agree. I got burnt out of the "having my girlfriend shuttle me to the top". I still love DH riding but want something else that I can just jump on the bike and go do.

I agree, I watch videos, browse the web, do whatever but for some odd-reason building bikes is fun to me. I love thinking of different specs to build to. I'm the same with electronics and cars and everything else as well so it might be built into me to build things.

Good luck though, if you stop riding you'll find something else, and if not you'll miss it. If it felt like a "chore" for you to do then it's probably the wrong sport. If you don't have fun doing it you should just stop as it'll make you hate it even more.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
OK here's what you do.
1 ride with other people always. esp. the friends that are always stoked to ride. it rubs off easy.
2 watch some kick ass videos. never not been in the mood to ride after a good vid.
3 hike your favorite trail, the whole time thinking 'how would i be rideing this?'
4 find some new trails. road trip if need be.
5 switch up your style a bit.
6 SS is good. better yet fully ridgid SS. still better add a fixed gear.
7 ride in the worst, non cold or thundering, weather you can. muddy or snowy is best. you gotta ride with friends for that one.
if you've still got the mondays, give it a little less then a month, then try all this over. if symptoms presist, might i suggest guitar, or snowboard.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I kinda went through this a while ago. I still loved riding, but I wasn't happy with my riding, I wasn't feeling agressive or getting the sheer thrill/stoke that used to last days after a ride.

So, I took time off.

I only lasted about two weeks. A younger kid who's parents are friends with my parents asked me if I wanted to go for a ride. I took him out and showed him some hard stuff and expanded his reality to what could really be done on a bike. He was super stoked.

I've been back in the saddle pinning and grinning it ever since.

Oh, and start climbing. Painfull grinding climbs are the best. They, for some reason, really make a ride enjoyable.