Quantcast

uh oh

J

JRB

And microsoft users are as bad as grown ups that never learned to read or write.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Don't worry. Macs are just as vulnerable as PCs, but will never be targeted as heavily as PCs until they get a huge jump in market share.

Given the pricing of their latest (beautifully constructed and spec'd, but too expensive for the mass market) laptops, that doesn't seem like it'll happen anytime soon.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
it's not a virus, it's a trojan horse.

to get "infected" you have to

a) download this file somehow
b) ignore the warnings in ichat or safari that say "do you really want to download this? it may contain an application"
c) double click on it, expand it, run it
d) enter your admin username and password

it's like a manually installed virus, i guess. :dead: :think: :p

J

JRB

Toshi said:

b) ignore the warnings in ichat or safari that say "do you really want to download this? it may contain an application"

Sounds like only an idiot would do this. Watch out N8.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
these articles are total BS.

theredherring said:
According to a web poll of more than 600 users conducted by Sophos, a London-based security firm, 79 percent of respondents believed that Apple Macs will be targeted more in the future
so a weak sauce trojan is made, a bluetooth proof of concept worm that doesn't even work is found, and a WEB POLL shows joe sixpack THINKS that os x might be targeted in the future. what can we conclude from this? oh yes: that antivirus software companies would like to sell you more software.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Toshi said:

:stupid: It's not a virus, but it does show that people are trying and have as of yet, failed. It poses as a poorly disguised jpeg, and you have to install it yourself, not much of a virus. As far as I know, it doesn't even attack the system, just random apps.