Quantcast

Uh, pal...yer Wiki's leaking

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh, I don't mean to imply that its going to come as a real surprise that a particular financial institution(s) and the people who work there are as crooked as a dogs hind leg. Everyone know that already. What I suspect/fear is that the docs will show that one or more MAJOR financial institutions are insolvent. While anyone following the financial crisis will not be particularly surprised by this, the outing of proof that a bank(s) is/are insolvent has the potential to bring the whole house of cards crumbling down right now in a way that will make people look back on the Bear Sterns failure in 2008 as the "good old days". :panic: :tinfoil:

As for the second half of your post, you should pick up a copy of Michael Lewis’s book titled “Liars Poker”. What you suspect is eloquently proven in his book.
Project mayhem? :tinfoil:

ok. so suppose its true. are we better off knowing, letting the cards come crashing down, so we can then get started rebuilding? or are we better off letting the facade carry on?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/30/wikileaks/index.html

In Kazakhstan, Clinton has to deal with the fallout from a 2008 cable from a diplomat in the U.S. Embassy, which began with this line: "Kazakhstan's political elites appear to enjoy typical hobbies -- such as travel, horseback riding and skiing. Not surprisingly, however, they are able to indulge their hobbies on a grand scale."
The cable goes on to present a tale of lavish living, including a six-figure sum for Elton John to sing at a birthday party and a palace in the United Arab Emirates.

or maybe world leaders and the wealthy are worried these leaks are finally going to incite the class warfare that has been building since the industrial revolution....

:tinfoil:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i lol'd:

Clinton, however, expressed confidence that U.S. diplomatic efforts will survive the leak of the documents, whose authenticity she would not confirm but which lay out in detail the diplomatic sausage-making that is usually hidden from public view.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Project mayhem? :tinfoil:

ok. so suppose its true. are we better off knowing, letting the cards come crashing down, so we can then get started rebuilding? or are we better off letting the facade carry on?
Project Mayhem only in the figurative sense. Although FSM knows how satisfying it would be on a primal level for the literal interpretation. :panic:

Were I to hazard a guess, I think the longer we continue the charade the harder the fall is going to be. IMHO the fed should have let the cards fall were they might back in 07/08 instead making moral hazard the zeitgeist of the financial world like it is now. The banks are still wildly insolvent, unemployment is hovering @10%, credit has only made an at best anemic return and the tea-tards were given birth.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/30/wikileaks/index.html

or maybe world leaders and the wealthy are worried these leaks are finally going to incite the class warfare that has been building since the industrial revolution....

:tinfoil:

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Mike - One note, we are not at war. War can only be declared by the US Congress, and it hasn't since WW2. What we are doing is policing, and the fact that Congress and the Govt are referring to current events as war either defines knowledgable hypocracy or uninformed leadership.
I agree. Congress needs to take back the power to actually declare war. The idea that massive troop commitments worldwide into combat zones aren't actually war due to semantics is insane, and the executive clearly does not have the Constitutional authority to declare war.

Limited military action like, say, punishing Somali pirates, OK, we should understand that as something else.

But treason isn't defined by war, either, if that's what the point of your post is.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't this come up before then the charges were dismissed?
not sure of the exact circumstances, but yes i do recall it being dismissed at one point. apparently its serious enough now that interpol is involved. and interpol is serious business.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's just that few countries will actually arrest on a red notice, and it's public knowledge which ones they are... But my experience isn't in Europe, so maybe it's another story there with EU cooperation.

Anyhow, Assange enjoys playing international man of mystery. He's probably got a framed copy of his red notice already.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if only wikileaks had outed plame....it would have saved some of you the feigned outrage and you would have slept better.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Uh, care to point out exactly how this is giving aid and comfort to our enemies?
After just reading Assange's own words, it became pretty clear to me that he's self-defined as an enemy of the US, and that his actions are obvious attempts to damage the US and prevent its government from functioning.

Thus, providing Assange the information he seeks to use against the USG is "aid and comfort." Thus, Pvt Mc****bird is guilty of treason. Not that it'd likely stand in court, even a court-martial, but hey, it's my thought on the matter.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
if only wikileaks had outed plame....it would have saved some of you the feigned outrage and you would have slept better.
Funny you mention that:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124039&page=2

Notice that MikeD holds a man in his early 20s to a higher standard than someone who works directly for the President.

I understand that part of that may be the fact that he has higher expectations for soldiers than he does for politicians while I don't, but it's interesting to note how the **** always flows downhill.

If the President does it, it's not a crime. Nixon was a prophet.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Seriously? In that thread, I say it's not legally accurate. Here I say it won't stand in court. Yes, that's not EXACTLY the same thing, but close enough.

And I'd love to see Rove prosecuted more than I would Assange, for whichever crime.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Seriously? In that thread, I say it's not legally accurate. Here I say it won't stand in court. Yes, that's not EXACTLY the same thing, but close enough.

And I'd love to see Rove prosecuted more than I would Assange, for whichever crime.
Yes, seriously. You're not talking about Assange, you're talking about Manning. Your tone is...to be charitable...somewhat different.

It's complicated to a certain extent by the amount of information leaked, but the stuff Manning leaked from what I read was accessible to a couple of million of people (I'm not sure how accurate that is) while the Plame info didn't seem to be as widely available.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so here's a question... say one or some of the documents obtained by Pvt McSh*tBird revealed some seriously illegal actions by the US Gov't or any of its agents... how feasible is it that he could be protected as a whistle blower?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yes, seriously. You're not talking about Assange, you're talking about Manning. Your tone is...to be charitable...somewhat different.
But I never offered my feelings or opinions on what I thought should happen to Rove, did I? (Your memory is better than mine and I've no mind to dig through old threads.)

You're comparing my (ever-informed and important) legal analysis of whether treason charges would stick to Rove to my personal feelings that Manning should be guilty of treason.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
But I never offered my feelings or opinions on what I thought should happen to Rove, did I? (Your memory is better than mine and I've no mind to dig through old threads.)

You're comparing my (ever-informed and important) legal analysis of whether treason charges would stick to Rove to my personal feelings that Manning should be guilty of treason.
That is true.

My cursory google turned up nothing. I was curious to see if I had been screaming about executing Rove for treason.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I was going to make some pithy comment on how cockroaches should really scurry away when you turn the light on, but it appears that not only have the cockroaches stopped the light from being turned on, they've taken the light bulb and shoved it up Julian Assange's arse.
The WikiLeaks website was fighting to stay online today after Sweden issued a new arrest warrant for its elusive chief and it battled cyber attacks and government attempts to silence it.
http://www.watoday.com.au/world/wikileaks-fights-to-stay-online-20101204-18kl2.html (video in link opens automatically after 5 seconds, any way to disable this in Firefox?)

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Should we start a pool on how long it is till Mr. Assange has an "accident"? I got 5 bucks says if he's arrested he gets a shank in prison from an "unknown assailant".

If even a fraction of his claims are borne out, he’s already sitting on a crypt of data any three-letter spy agency would kill for. The world’s most vocal transparency advocate is now one of the world’s biggest keepers of secrets. And about half of those revelations, says Assange, relate to the private sector.
http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenberg/2010/11/29/wikileaks-julian-assange-wants-to-spill-your-corporate-secrets/

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
What the what?

I didn't want to bring up the charges from Sweden because you KNOW that's gonna be the weirdest and least-informed/most sensationalistic part of all this, but this is even weirder and more sensationalistic than I thought. "Sex by surprise?" Sex without a condom is an internationally extraditable offense? Overreaching prosecutors? Find out in the next installment of "As the Wiki Turns [and possibly molests you, but also maybe not]!"

http://www.georgewashington2.blogspot.com/2010/12/sex-charges-and-arrest-warrant-against.html

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Article #2 is a bit of a misnomer--the State Dept itself didn't say anything to Columbia. A Columbia alum who works for State unofficially related the internal State policy to the school, and warned students that the .gov security clearance process might take a dim view of people failing to respect the still-classified nature of the documents.

How that might work in practice, I have no idea.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

That sh/t is retarded. If your a member(or a potential one in the case of the Columbia students) of the active .gov isn't the smart thing to do to be aware of and educate yourself on what the enemy might know and be using? Shouldn't you have knowledge and be capable of handling the political du jour?

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Assange should add an 'r' to his name to properly reflect the emotions he has evoked.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Assange plays hardball, threatening to release all 1.3gb of unfiltered data if he gets dragged into court.

And this, kids, is how you play "blackmail the biggest superpower in the world". I have to say that I was impressed by the fact that the 1.3gb has already been released as a torrent, and it's just the 256 bit encryption key that's being withheld. A key is a LOT easier to distribute than 1.3gb files......

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so what's his backup for that? does he have another ace in the hole?

also, there is the chance that the 256bit encryption key COULD be cracked. would take time, but it is possible.