Quantcast

Uhm...what is JensonUSA's equivalent for BMXers? I need stuff..

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I went to danscomp.com and cried when I saw the prices. So cheap.

Then I laughed when I saw how much BMX bikes weigh. I never realized that they were so heavy. I haven't ridden one since I was 13 though.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
4130 tri-moly frame, Prodigy Fork, Cane Creek headset, 48H wheels w/ 14mm axles, 3-pc forged crank, alloy pedals, Prodigy Bars, HB Super Stem Tektro 906A U-brake front & rear, SST Oryg, Skidmark tires, HB seat, HB Big Shot steel pegs front & rear. 20" (38 lbs). :eek:
Damn, I thought my AC2 was heavy!

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I tell ya what...I'm just finding out how ugly BMX seats are.... I wonder if she'd like the SDG Bel Air or Grand Prix better:D

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
haha.

now you have some insight as to why ALLOT of bmxers look at mountain bikers as pussys. (or something equivalent)

most of those kids riding 40 pound bikes also have about 90 pounds plus of presure in their tires. that makes the bike have ZERO suspension.

there is a change coming in bmx to make stuff lighter. but when you pound the crap out of stuff, it's going to break.

and most people that ride bmx are not college educated and don't have the funds to buy expensive, light parts.

anywho....

danscomp is considered the corporate whores in the bmx world.

www.albes.com (rider owned, super cool)

http://www.staff-bmx.com (rider owned as well, their site is being rebuilt right now)

http://www.trendbmx.com/ (was rider owned, they just sold it to start another company)

there are others but I pretty much use albes for parts.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by pnj

and most people that ride bmx are not college educated and don't have the funds to buy expensive, light parts.

most mtbers just go to college to get the student loans to buy bikes.... I used two student loan checks for factory M1s back in the days:D
thanks for the links bro

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by pnj

http://www.staff-bmx.com (rider owned as well, their site is being rebuilt right now)

http://www.trendbmx.com/ (was rider owned, they just sold it to start another company)

there are others but I pretty much use albes for parts.
Thanks for the links, forgot about those guys.

Dan's is one site I could think of that's like Jenson's, although I guess it's more like Supergo or Performance...

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
Originally posted by pnj
haha.

Albes is your best bet - but try your LBS first. They are usually willing to order things for you as well and they will compete with prices to a point. Help your local shops before shopping on the net.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by serbdog
Albes is your best bet - but try your LBS first. They are usually willing to order things for you as well and they will compete with prices to a point. Help your local shops before shopping on the net.
screw that. I hate my local shops. mail order all the way.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Yeah! Mail order! Some people just don't understand exactly how lousy the local shops are. They usually don't know about the parts, don't have them in stock, and charge lots more than mail order.

I've found two bike shops in my life that are worth supporting. And often I know more about the parts I need, have more options available and can get better prices.

All that being said I do buy stuff from them and go there for work. If you HAVE to go to a shop try to pick a good one.:rolleyes:

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
Originally posted by pnj
screw that. I hate my local shops. mail order all the way.
that stinks then - it must suck to not have a good shop. I am lucky since I have 3 awesome ones within 35 minutes of me and I ride with all the people so that helps.

cater to your towns needs and make a cool shop...worth a shot right?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by Orven
I tell ya what...I'm just finding out how ugly BMX seats are.... I wonder if she'd like the SDG Bel Air or Grand Prix better:D
I have a Flite w/o the padding & leather on my BMX bike. Also has a Dean Ti seat-post. My BMX bike is lighter than my Ti Colnago. :cool:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Ian F
I have a Flite w/o the padding & leather on my BMX bike. Also has a Dean Ti seat-post. My BMX bike is lighter than my Ti Colnago. :cool:
So I'm assuming it's not a dirt jumper :D

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by Ian F
hehehe...I plan on putting a Flite Gel Ti on my future BMX bike with mtb parts that make sense.. since I don't really ride BMX, my BMX bike will have an identity crisis:devil:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
hehehe...I plan on putting a Flite Gel Ti on my future BMX bike with mtb parts that make sense.. since I don't really ride BMX, my BMX bike will have an identity crisis:devil:
Yeah my road bike has that problem :D

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Originally posted by pnj

a) Dan's tried to sell some T1 one shirts that weren't T1. not cool. the reason why Taj and Joe won't sell their stuff through Dan's.

b) www.empirebmx.com is owned by Tom and Tina, former owners of Trend. the Trend story is kinda sad, and Empire will now get my business.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by the Inbred
a) Dan's tried to sell some T1 one shirts that weren't T1. not cool. the reason why Taj and Joe won't sell their stuff through Dan's.

taj and joe "sold" some shirts to dans but never sent them. so dans printed their own and sold them as t1 shirts.

two sides to every story.......

sounds like they both need to hang their head in shame....or something.

:rolleyes:

Mar 27, 2002
South Carolina
Originally posted by serbdog
try your LBS first. They are usually willing to order things for you as well and they will compete with prices to a point. Help your local shops before shopping on the net.
Great point!!! The shop that I'm working at right now is in the process of closing due to lack of support. We moved locations to build a BMX track right behind the shop. Probably not the best location, but we did it to help the BMXers. Now, since a lot of riders are looking to save a dollar or two, and ordering stuff from other places that we could have gotten them at a comparable price, those few bucks they saved have cost them a place to hang out, and a place to get awesome customer service. Now I'm starting my own vending/repair business at the BMX track because none of the other LBS's cater to BMXers at all. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I think they'll support me because they realize that they lost the only LBS that gives a crap about BMX and they need to have someone to work on their bikes. Wish me luck.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Man, I'm all for supporting the locals shops. I even considered opening a BMX-specific one myself. Unfortunately, the way of BMX is going toward mail order. I'm at least fairly certain the only ways a BMX shop will be able to survive are to:

1)Make it a combination skate/bike shop. You cater to a wider swath of the kids that way, or

2) Open a skatepark and have the shop be a "pro shop" of sorts where kids can get replacement stuff when it breaks riding the ramps.

Just my opinion, obviously.

Mar 27, 2002
South Carolina
Thanks for the advice on the shop. I have considered going the skateboard route as well, but there is a huge store locally that does tons of skateboard business, and I don't want to have to compete with them. The skatepark scene around here sucks anyways.

Our situation at WheelSport was that the BMX track is located directly behind the shop. We moved to a rural place in order to put the BMX track and the shop there, and it killed our drive-by business. Now there is really no other shop in the area, after we close, who caters to BMXers or knows a thing about BMX bikes and the people who frequent this track. It's kind of a niche market that our shop had, and that I think I can continue. I'm trying to get my website up and running and I think that I can generate a fair amount of revenue just by setting up on the practice and race days. I don't know... I hope it will work. Feed me your thoughts.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Well, there is quite a bit of money to be generated by being a vendor at races and such. Or at least, I think there is. ;) It's entirely possible that my thoughts on things around here don't apply 100% to your situation.

I don't want to be the kind of guy who pisses on your dreams or anything. If you really want to make it happen, I've discovered that there are two things that will make your ideas a success.

1) A plan. Research EVERYTHING, and really use the locals for all the information you can get. What do they like? What do they want that they can't get around here? What help do they need in the service end of things?

2) Determination. Don't let naysayers (like me ;)) tell you that it won't work. Work hard and you're bound to succeed.

Chris

Mar 27, 2002
South Carolina
Dude, you're not pissing on my dreams. I'm going to do it regardless. As a matter of fact, I appreciate the feedback. I've already gotten a few $500.00+ parts orders for May-June, so things are looking up. I've got a few people that are going to help me purchase most of the tools and help me get started, so it's okay. Thanks for the input.

VooDoo

asshat
Dec 21, 2001
Toronto
Just make sure she doesn't like the seats more than you!:eek: