Quantcast

uk car vs usa car

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
ok so i have another question do you all drive automatics and why do all american cars have big engine like 5.7 litres when yet my seat leon cupra r has a 2.0ltr turbo engine producing 225 bhp 0-62 in 5.9 sec and top speed of 150mph

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
ukjason said:
ok so i have another question do you all drive automatics and why do all american cars have big engine like 5.7 litres when yet my seat leon cupra r has a 2.0ltr turbo engine producing 225 bhp 0-62 in 5.9 sec and top speed of 150mph
Most people drive automatics. Not everyone.

Big engine muscle cars are largely a thing of the past. People use big engines for hauling stuff mostly, or because they're rich and dont care about the cost of gas, etc.
Big trucks are popular here because lots of peoples jobs require them.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
ukjason said:

Um, who cares? I don't even have a car and I can gurantee you it gets better milage then your two-seater ricer.

Edit:Its 2006 here and not 1969.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Because we are fat and we like to drive comfortably for the long distances we often have to travel here.
Where as you guys prefer to drive around in quick little shoeboxes on your short drives, zipping around everywhere but to the dentist.

(note: to the Jedi's in training, see how I worked in two stereotypes in only two sentences. :) )

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Jeremy R said:
Because we are fat and we like to drive comfortably for the long distances we often have to travel here.
Where as you guys prefer to drive around in quick little shoeboxes on your short drives, zipping around everywhere but to the dentist.

(note: to the Jedi's in training, see how I worked in two stereotypes in only two sentences. :) )
d'oh!:rofl:

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
talking about petrol its what we call gas how much is it a litre as it its sky high here &#163;1/$1.80 to a litre got to love that exchange rate.

you do work in litres dont you

jason

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
ukjason said:
talking about petrol its what we call gas how much is it a litre as it its sky high here £1/$1.80 to a litre got to love that exchange rate.

jason
nope. gallons. averaging about $2.85 per gallon here.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
ukjason said:
talking about petrol its what we call gas how much is it a litre as it its sky high here £1/$1.80 to a litre got to love that exchange rate.

jason
Are you a bot? 'cause you really seem like one. One built and put forth by a secret agency bent on making the USA auto driver hate Euro drivers, but for what gain?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
ukjason said:
Cause we put things bigger than 3 foot midgets in our back seats?

In all seriousness though, which cars are you comparing here? your seat vs. an american corvette? your seat vs. a dodge neon srt-4? Your seat vs. what? a cadillac coupe deville?

and why do we have a problem with only american cars that have big motors? What about a bmw 7 series with either a 4.8 litre v8 or a 6 litre v12? What about an Audi A8 with a 4.2 litre v8 or a w12?

Personally, if I could afford to pay for the gas milage of something with a v8, i'd take it. There is nothing quite like the rumble of a nicely tuned big block.

J

JRB

ukjason said:
whats funny
Holy fack - did they remove all of the special characters on keyboards there??? I always knew Orwell was right.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
so now he's comparing his seat to a british built car? I don't get it???

It's nice, but I'd still take a Saleen S7 over it. Sure it might not be as much hp/litre, but 750 horses is 750 horses.

US car manufactures build lots of little cars too, it's just that no one buys them. We're also not the only ones guilty of building large cars with large motors. Isn't the ford focus something like the number one selling car in the world right now?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BurlyShirley said:
Most people drive automatics. Not everyone.

Big engine muscle cars are largely a thing of the past. People use big engines for hauling stuff mostly, or because they're rich and dont care about the cost of gas, etc.
Big trucks are popular here because lots of peoples jobs require them.
From what I've seen, people with Denalis and Excursions and the like rarely tow stuff, are usually scraping to get by and have no decent jobs. I hav ea neighbor who had an Ram 3500 dually with a cummins diesel. I never saw him put anything more than groceries in the back, let alone tow something. He was also unemplyed (wife worked) and sat around all day smoking in a wife beater and yelling at his dog.

But hey, they think they look cool in their giganto trucks. They are also the most likely to bitch and whine that gas prices go up.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
bdamschen said:
so now he's comparing his seat to a british built car? I don't get it???

It's nice, but I'd still take a Saleen S7 over it. Sure it might not be as much hp/litre, but 750 horses is 750 horses.

US car manufactures build lots of little cars too, it's just that no one buys them. We're also not the only ones guilty of building large cars with large motors. Isn't the ford focus something like the number one selling car in the world right now?
lol.
the seat is a great car. i love it.
but no comparison. the leon cupra r retails here for US$36k. a saleen s7????? they dont even sell those, but just a regular mustang saleen "run of the mill" is more than twice the price of leon cupra r.
so no comparisons apply.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
ukjason said:
Cause Euro's get cool small cars and in America the idea of a cool small car is a riced out Civic. Were too big and fat for little cars. Plus little cars with an MSRP $35-40K USD probably wouldn't sell here.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Transcend said:
From what I've seen, people with Denalis and Excursions and the like rarely tow stuff, are usually scraping to get by and have no decent jobs. I hav ea neighbor who had an Ram 3500 dually with a cummins diesel. I never saw him put anything more than groceries in the back, let alone tow something. He was also unemplyed (wife worked) and sat around all day smoking in a wife beater and yelling at his dog.

But hey, they think they look cool in their giganto trucks. They are also the most likely to bitch and whine that gas prices go up.
It might work differently in Canadia, but people without jobs cant afford excursions here unless they're drug dealers. Lots of folks have big trucks, but like I said, construction/landscaping/farming are pretty much all of TNs economy, besides nashville and memphis...trucks are a necessity.
Yeah, you have the soccermoms with escalades, etc. but like I said, apparently they can afford it, so whatever... its not my money.